• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG ZS EV Door handles locks faulty or is there a knack?

I am about 99% sure that BOTH passengers doors in my brothers car were in this condition, when the car arrived at the dealership.
The front passengers door not opening was spotted on delivery day for obvious reasons.
But the rear passengers door was not spotted until a week latter, when the rear seat was used for carrying a grand child who could not leave the car.
Of course the port of call was to check if the child locked was working correctly.
But it made no difference if it was switched on or off.
My brother then went on to check the rear drivers door and that works fine !.
Another visit to the dealer today I believe, just to confirm it’s the locking assembly, on then will MG authorise the dealer to order a replacement part.
Then a wait for it to arrive and then another appointment to install the new lock !.
At the moment it appears to be the passenger side locks are more affected for some reason ?.
He is only lucky that his local dealer is only about 8 miles down the road !.
Imagine if your chosen dealer is a 100 mile around trip ( myself ) and you are required to make two trips in order to get your door lock checked and then replaced !.
I would suggest to anybody who is about to take delivery on a new ZS EV facelift, that you get the dealer to check if they can open the three doors on the INSIDE before you collect the car !.
At least that way, if any are faulty the locks can be ordered, saving at least one trip back to the dealers !.
MG should have sent out a service bulletin to the dealers, to check the internal handles are working correctly as part of the PDI checks by now ?.
As they are well aware that there is a problem on the latest batch of cars.
Not only is it an inconvenience but it should be seen as a serious health and safety issue.
If you were involved in a RTA and needed to exit the car quickly, then your front and maybe rear passengers could be in big trouble !.

Last edited:
It took an hour, and yes it seems to have fixed the problem. Keeping my fingers crossed that the issue doesn’t start to manifest itself in other doors, as I’ve just read about from Lovemyev!
Unfortunately, as of this morning, I am now unable to access the front passenger side door from outside!! Internal mechanism still seems to be fine after the “fix” though!

Unfortunately, as of this morning, I am now unable to access the front passenger side door from outside!! Internal mechanism still seems to be fine after the “fix” though!
Hopefully a quick fix ?.
Maybe the external mechanism to the lock has become detached after they replaced the lock ?.

Hopefully a quick fix ?.
Maybe the external mechanism to the lock has become detached after they replaced the lock ?.
We’ll see! Just booked it in - earliest they can look at it is next Monday, so will update then. My partner is going to have to take it as I’m working - I’ve told them I want all four doors checking, as this will be the third time I’ve had to visit the dealership regarding door locks, and it’s starting to wear thin! No courtesy car available and no idea how long it’ll take, but there is the offer of a lift to the park & ride!

My car was looked at by the dealership for the passenger side door handle issue in 5th Jan. He said he ordered the parts the same day.It's not here yet. Says since many cars have this issue MG may be short of the parts and this is causing the delays. Have no choice than to believe it! Said it just takes a couple of hours to fix it but has no clue when the parts will arrive.

We’ll see! Just booked it in - earliest they can look at it is next Monday, so will update then. My partner is going to have to take it as I’m working - I’ve told them I want all four doors checking, as this will be the third time I’ve had to visit the dealership regarding door locks, and it’s starting to wear thin! No courtesy car available and no idea how long it’ll take, but there is the offer of a lift to the park & ride!
Took mime in for the temporary fix to minstergate York on Tuesday, fixed cleaned and parts ordered. Wednesday morning and locks dont work again. Told the temporary fix just works for one go!! Looking at the car set up that has totally changed I would guess they just removed the battery for a few minutes. This is a serious fault that should warrant a recall.

Took mime in for the temporary fix to minstergate York on Tuesday, fixed cleaned and parts ordered. Wednesday morning and locks dont work again. Told the temporary fix just works for one go!! Looking at the car set up that has totally changed I would guess they just removed the battery for a few minutes. This is a serious fault that should warrant a recall.
Perhaps @Miles Roberts CG can give us more information on this one on the true picture and how this is going to be dealt with by MG? Not sure if this is already been discussed on any podcasts?

My rear driver's side door refuses to open from inside or out. Booked it in to local dealer to look at it and they want £89 inspection fee. Shysters!

So if the car is in an accident or stranded on motorway your passengers are effectively trapped, that's got to be a massive safety concern

Taken from this .gov website
Car parts checked at an MOT
Screenshot_20230202-124632.png

So does that make it a legal requirement to have the ability to open all doors from the outside and the front 2 inside as well?

Last edited:
£89 for a warranty repair? I would contact MG and name and shame them.
Don't worry I don't intend to pay it. Am sure it will be a warranty repair, the only other explanation is that it is damaged due to an accident, or user error. In either of these cases I'd expect a technician to identify the issue inside 2 mins and I'd baulk at paying £89 for 2 mins attention.

I do genuinely understand that the dealership needs to cover their costs but such an approach does not endear them to their customers. I have another MG on order but am wavering and this might be the final straw that makes me move to another brand.

Can't have been too big a batch with the problem as this thread has tailed off but big enough to have a significant part delay, I think the parts should be in early March for mine so that'll be almost 3 months wait!

Can't have been too big a batch with the problem as this thread has tailed off but big enough to have a significant part delay, I think the parts should be in early March for mine so that'll be almost 3 months wait!
My latches are apparently due to arrive on 10th March... Not impressed.

Enough said really !.
Parts supply is woeful at best anyway, but any further demand on the system due to even a small quality issue, results in a three month wait on a door catch / lock.
Had quality assurance picked this error up at the build stage, then a recovery plan could have been put in place.
But no, this issue had to be discovered by the owner.
Now many chances got missed to identify this problem BEFORE it reached the customer ?.
Simple answer - TO MANY !.
Expecting a customer to wait that long for replacement part is not really good enough.
MG do not HOLD enough spares in either the UK or even Europe to cover the 30% increase they had in car sales only last year.
You can not keep increasing the sales on cars on a year by year basis, without upgrading the backup services to support it.

Sorry to go back to this subject but has anybody actually had a successful repair for the door lock fault yet. The latest info I have had fron the York dealership is no parts and no info from MG .

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom