• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG ZS EV Door handles locks faulty or is there a knack?

Sorry to go back to this subject but has anybody actually had a successful repair for the door lock fault yet. The latest info I have had fron the York dealership is no parts and no info from MG .
My brother is still awaiting a replacement N/S/R door lock for his almost new ZS EV LR.
They are on back order and high demand has delayed delivery according to his dealer.
With no ETA either !.
His N/S/F lock ( also faulty ) was replaced quickly within one week.

Ours went back in for replacement latch early Feb. (York dealership). Fingers crossed, seems to have fixed it although the car has not been used much since, for unrelated reasons. I can't say that we've tested all the possible scenarios that were previously failing, so can't give a definite thumbs up yet. Why the dealerships continued to release these vehicles when there was clearly a known issue from early December, and why there hasn't been a targeted recall on safety grounds I can't imagine. The parts supply issue is also worrying for the future, more obvious concern from MG UK would be a help.

So we never got around to booking ours in with work, busy life, kids and garage not being too close, anyway after having our car since Nov, it seems to now have magically fixed itself without anyone touching it. The doors have probably worked flawlessly now for the past 4-6 weeks, lets hope this doesn't change, bizarre...

I had a door lock replaced early on on 2020, after we’d had the car about 3 months. All fixed ok no repeat problem.

Thanks for the updates..
I did report this problem to DVSA suggesting a recall but this is their reply..

When assessing whether to approach a manufacturer with a concern, DVSA use a code of practice which takes into account things such as the warnings given to drivers and the ability to bring the vehicle to a safe stop. From the description you have provided regarding your concern, there is no indication the driver’s side doors cannot be opened from the inside, meaning exit from the vehicle is still possible. In addition, the issue is something the driver and passengers will be aware of prior to setting off, so there is an option not to travel in the vehicle.

Therefore, your issue cannot be considered a code of practice safety defect as defined by the General Product Safety Regulations 2005. Whilst, DVSA have sympathy with your concern, it is not a matter we will be pursuing further with the manufacturer.

Basically don't take passengers!!!!

Thanks for the updates..
I did report this problem to DVSA suggesting a recall but this is their reply..

When assessing whether to approach a manufacturer with a concern, DVSA use a code of practice which takes into account things such as the warnings given to drivers and the ability to bring the vehicle to a safe stop. From the description you have provided regarding your concern, there is no indication the driver’s side doors cannot be opened from the inside, meaning exit from the vehicle is still possible. In addition, the issue is something the driver and passengers will be aware of prior to setting off, so there is an option not to travel in the vehicle.

Therefore, your issue cannot be considered a code of practice safety defect as defined by the General Product Safety Regulations 2005. Whilst, DVSA have sympathy with your concern, it is not a matter we will be pursuing further with the manufacturer.

Basically don't take passengers!!!!
You'll just have do a starsky & hutch roll over the bonnet to get the front passenger out 👍🏻

I got my ZS EV TLR on Thursday and so far the NSF inside door only opened once first time in a good few attempts (using the double tap method). Should I make them aware straight away or are there any settings I can fiddle with?

I got my ZS EV TLR on Thursday and so far the NSF inside door only opened once first time in a good few attempts (using the double tap method). Should I make them aware straight away or are there any settings I can fiddle with?
If the door will NOT open with use of the inside handle, then it needs reporting to your dealer straight away.
It is a common problem on a recent batch of ZS EV ( Gen 2 ) models, that is usually rectified by replacing the complete door locking assembly.
I believe that THIS is the part number of the N/S/F door locking assembly for the ZS EV Trophy ( Gen 2 ) model.
Remember, if the doors are locked and the driver leaves first, then the passenger only needs to pump the internal handle once to leave the car.
If the passenger wants to leave the car BEFORE the driver, then your passenger will need to likely double pump the internal handle, in order to open the passenger door from inside.
Can I recommend that you double check the other doors ASAP.
My brothers car would not open the passengers door from the inside on collection day.
A week latter it was discovered that the N/S/R door would NOT open from the inside either !.
I would strongly advise that you check ALL doors do not have the same condition.

N/S/F Passengers door locking assembly ( Trophy ZS EV LR Gen 2 Model ) : Part Number.

Steves Lock 2023-01-09 at 22.26.28.png

Didn't get mine back last weekend, but apparently the parts are in so should expect a call in the coming week. That'll be 3 months!

Disappointed that my new ZS TLR has an intermittent issue with the NSF door. Booked in for next Friday, but expecting hassle as it is intermittent. Sometimes doesn't open even after switching off and unlocking, so have to walk round the car to open from the outside.

MG have a good offering but poor customer service. The network garages act independently to one another and are profiteering. I ordered my MG ZS last June, I was told delivery would be September 2022, then is was November 2022. After Christmas I was informed I could cancel my order and have my deposit back as the car isn't likely to arrive until September 2023. I went online and could see MG dealerships offering the exact car for around £2k premium with delivery mileage only (I'm guessing from orders cancelled ). Why wouldn't the network try to satisfy a delayed order for a customer? MG's written response is that the dealerships act independently. So I eventually bought and paid for a car pre-registered with 180 miles on the clock, traded in my beautiful Lexus and went to collect my new car. I got in to have a last look around before signing for it and passenger front and rear doors would not open. This has left me having paid and traded so MY car is with the dealership and has been ever since as they cannot release in an unsafe condition.
I do get updates when I call them and twice its been fixed ready to collect only to be cancelled at the last minute.
MG need to consider the customer because right now we are disparate, you can bet there are a lot of people who are in this position but not recognised.

Where is the service really?
Because of the ever extending lead time I bought My MG ZS now registered so I am technically teh second owner. In January 2023 I handed over my car, paid the balance and at the point I was to check it before, signing off and driving away I found the door handle problem. At this point both myself and Garage have our hands tied because the Car is NOT SAFE. I have had a petrol courtesy car so I am not without transport but after 5 or 6 attempts / failures the MG garage now admit they can't get the door locking mechanisms until 22nd April (they hope) Therefore I bought a car which I never driven, the warranty is expiring, my car insurance is redundant and its aging without moving. Lets be honest its parked up at MG and they seem to lack any imagination in getting a solution, no sense of urgency and three months have elapsed. Ask me am I pleased to own an MG I hope to let you know at some point this year.

If the door will NOT open with use of the inside handle, then it needs reporting to your dealer straight away.
It is a common problem on a recent batch of ZS EV ( Gen 2 ) models, that is usually rectified by replacing the complete door locking assembly.
I believe that THIS is the part number of the N/S/F door locking assembly for the ZS EV Trophy ( Gen 2 ) model.
Remember, if the doors are locked and the driver leaves first, then the passenger only needs to pump the internal handle once to leave the car.
If the passenger wants to leave the car BEFORE the driver, then your passenger will need to likely double pump the internal handle, in order to open the passenger door from inside.
Can I recommend that you double check the other doors ASAP.
My brothers car would not open the passengers door from the inside on collection day.
A week latter it was discovered that the N/S/R door would NOT open from the inside either !.
I would strongly advise that you check ALL doors do not have the same condition.

N/S/F Passengers door locking assembly ( Trophy ZS EV LR Gen 2 Model ) : Part Number.

View attachment 16026
So I’ve tried all of my inside passenger doors and none of them work! 😵 I’ll have to call Tusker first thing Monday. Hopefully I’m not without it for long since I just got it.

So I’ve tried all of my inside passenger doors and none of them work! 😵 I’ll have to call Tusker first thing Monday. Hopefully I’m not without it for long since I just got it.
Even with a double pull? Bad news considering the waiting for parts seems to be very long

ALL doors are not working via the internal handles, that’s a first !.
That is a big safety issue.
Worth a quick check, to see if the rear child safety locks are not turned ON !.

Got an intermittent fault on passengers front doors. Roughly a chance of 1 in 5 of door handle not working.

Need to record it next time it happens.
Okay. Forget what I said. The two rear child locks were on. I also turned these two settings off and now the from works with no issue… forgive my no-brain moment! 😂View attachment 16063
Done that on Thursday. Thought that fixed that. Could not open passangers doors again yesterday. 😢

yeah I just tried my passenger door today and it doesn’t work again.
N/S/F ????.
This appears to be the most affected door on the ZS EV Gen 2 models in the last few months.
Faulty batch of locks, it has to be - right ?.
See the post 109 above, I do believe this to be the replacement part number required.
There is likely to be a few customers already waiting for this item.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom