MG ZS EV Excite.

Scottguardian

Standard Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that the MG Excite model has a possible longer range, all things being equal, than the Exclusive model seeing as its 32kg lighter and has no roof bars. Just asking.

I once worked out (for an ICE car) that if I applied every fuel saving action possible, I would have to keep syphoning petrol out of the tank as it overflowed. :LOL:
Some things that save fuel, and for EVs increase the range:
Keep the car empty of junk, less weight = less energy needed to initialise movement.
Go on a diet, same reason ;)
Puncture repair kit weighs less than a spare wheel and jack.
keep windows closed for aerodynamics.
Keep use of AC to a minimum.
Keep use of heating to a minimum (probably applies more to EVs than ICE)
Only fill the fuel tank half full (ICE only). less weight
Remove roof racks/boxes when not in use. Less drag
Keep tyre pressures up. + a couple of psi tends to decreasing rolling resistance.
Accelerate slowly and steadily.
Anticipate slowing and stopping in advance and slow gradually.
Etc.
I'm sure there are more, feel free to chip in.
:)

Reminds me of a keen cyclist friend of mine who was obsessed on reducing the weight of his bike. He bought an extremely expensive carbon fibre seat stem to save probably about half a kilo. He wasn't too happy when a colleague pointed out he could save a lot more than that by removing some of the bulk around his middle!

Is it possible that the MG Excite model has a possible longer range, all things being equal, than the Exclusive model seeing as its 32kg lighter and has no roof bars. Just asking.
The gains in range ( if any ) between Excite and Exclusive due to weight, are lost on the level of features / equipment you are loosing between both models in my opinion.
Go for the Exclusive !.

Not sure about upping tyre pressures - add to that the increase when the tyres/air gets warm, this may affect your stopping distance. Maybe ;)

Upping tyre pressure can be dangerous. What you save in fractions of pennies you will spend in whole pounds replacing worn out tyres. Pennywise.., the saying goes

I don't think an extra 2 or 3 psi would be dangerous, but it does make a difference to economy and tyre wear. Remember manufacturers tyre pressures are a recommendation, not set in stone, they vary on load and speed and they are somewhat of a compromise between tyre wear, ride and handling.

If you read about the "new" WLTP test, one of the things that concerned manufacturers was that each variant that they listed/sold had to be tested separately. Which is apparently why manufacturers have reduced the amount of variants they officially set now.
- I read this in some car magazine article.

I don't think an extra 2 or 3 psi would be dangerous, but it does make a difference to economy and tyre wear. Remember manufacturers tyre pressures are a recommendation, not set in stone, they vary on load and speed and they are somewhat of a compromise between tyre wear, ride and handling.
I agree 2-3 psi would not be that much of a problem. However the manufacturer has made a recommendation based on intensive testing of their product. They would have looked at tyre grip, longevity, economy amongst other things. However there is a reason why they have stated it to be 33psi and not 32 or 34. Yes there would be tolerances built into it to accommodate for those who fill up to 35psi. As I don’t have an advanced degree in automotive engineering, I will leave my tyre pressure to the experts.

I agree 2-3 psi would not be that much of a problem. However the manufacturer has made a recommendation based on intensive testing of their product. They would have looked at tyre grip, longevity, economy amongst other things. However there is a reason why they have stated it to be 33psi and not 32 or 34. Yes there would be tolerances built into it to accommodate for those who fill up to 35psi. As I don’t have an advanced degree in automotive engineering, I will leave my tyre pressure to the experts.
So you're saying blindly follow what the manufacturer has stated regardless of whether the car handling doesn't feel right or the tyres are wearing at the edges more than the middle or wearing in the middle more than the edges etc. You don't need a degree in automotive engineering to see those things aren't right. I don't believe manufacturers do "intensive" testing of tyres, do the manufacturer test the car with every make of tyre, ones with stiffer reinforced sidewalls for example or ones with different material compositions, I think not.

So you're saying blindly follow what the manufacturer has stated regardless of whether the car handling doesn't feel right or the tyres are wearing at the edges more than the middle or wearing in the middle more than the edges etc. You don't need a degree in automotive engineering to see those things aren't right. I don't believe manufacturers do "intensive" testing of tyres, do the manufacturer test the car with every make of tyre, ones with stiffer reinforced sidewalls for example or ones with different material compositions, I think not.
I don’t mean to upset you. I respect your opinion but I think you have missed the point I am making. Blindly following the manufacturers recommendations is not what I am advocating. I am not an expert in automotive engineering. I therefore rely on an company who knows their product very well, to guide me. In the absence of that a trained professional. There is a difference. If I was finding that inflating the tyres that have been provided with the car, to the manufacturers specified tyre pressures causes uneven wear, I would get a professional to be looking for problems other than pressures.
In any case it appears that we have hijacked the thread I will therefore out of respect to the original poster and to you, refrain from posting on this subject again.

I don’t mean to upset you. I respect your opinion but I think you have missed the point I am making. Blindly following the manufacturers recommendations is not what I am advocating. I am not an expert in automotive engineering. I therefore rely on an company who knows their product very well, to guide me. In the absence of that a trained professional. There is a difference. If I was finding that inflating the tyres that have been provided with the car, to the manufacturers specified tyre pressures causes uneven wear, I would get a professional to be looking for problems other than pressures.
In any case it appears that we have hijacked the thread I will therefore out of respect to the original poster and to you, refrain from posting on this subject again.
Apologies, I wasn't upset and I hope I didn't upset you. I wasn't saying don't use the manufacturers setting, I was just suggesting that it may be worth looking into it a little more, experience and the internet are wonderful sources of information. We all have different experience and opinions, which is what makes the forum so interesting. As you said, a bit off topic now so we'll leave it there. ;)

While talking about manufactures tyre pressure settings, can I just say this.
After both owning and having friends who have also owned BMW 3 & 5 series’s RWD cars.
When setting the rear tyre pressures to the recommended pressures, the centre of the tread of the tyre will hit the legal limited WELL before the rest of the other 70% of the tread pattern.
Therefore causing premature replacement of both rear tyres.
This can be completely rectified by dropping the rear pressures by 2 PSI under the recommended pressures recommended by BMW.
When the car is offered for service, the dealer will reset the pressures to the higher settings of course.
Manufactures don’t always get it right !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom