MG ZS EV Facelift - Have you ordered?

Worth a quick read to get a 'non-forum' based view on the current generation ZS EV. We recently traded ours for a long range MG5 but had zero issues with the ZS EV in the year we owned it.

I love the the new ZS, especially the bigger battery, but I'm waiting for the dust to settle after the initial rush and the "teething" problems (if any) to appear and get sorted before I commit.
Me too..also hoping for 0% finance at some point….hopefully!

Did you know that it was flying on Concord engines? (deliberatley omitted the 'e'!)
Awesome!
No - I did not know that !.
But it makes perfect sense now.
I do remember it flying over our heads with the bomb bay doors open and I thought.
It's a dooms day machine !.
When my wife talks about Cosford, she always refers to the time we watched it fly over our heads.
The best air show we ever got to see, was the Farnborough air show.
A long 500 miles around trip in a single day, but it was worth the long drive.
On the way down, we got caught up on standing traffic on the M25.
As we sat in the traffic with the windows down, we heard the sound of a large plane with it's engines spooling up it the distance.
Just then the noise increased and a Concord was lifting off right across the motorway !.
We watched it climb into the distance, before the traffic started moving off again.
What a piece of equipment that was.
I have been to the Bristol / Filton factory where the Concord was built, the run way is HUGE.

I see quite a few people ordering the connect over the trophy.

I'm curious what features people value in the connect that aren't available just by using Android auto or Apple car play?

I see quite a few people ordering the connect over the trophy.

I'm curious what features people value in the connect that aren't available just by using Android auto or Apple car play?
Over the air updates…but my boss had that with BMW and it i incapacitated his car when an update failed one day due to poor reception in Newmarket, BMW had to recover the car and it took a week to resolve the issue of corrupted software…

Over the air updates…but my boss had that with BMW and it i incapacitated his car when an update failed one day due to poor reception in Newmarket, BMW had to recover the car and it took a week to resolve the issue of corrupted software…
I thought the OTA updates were just for the infotainment system. I'm not sure it includes updates to the BMS.

Anyone know for sure?

I thought the OTA updates were just for the infotainment system. I'm not sure it includes updates to the BMS.

Anyone know for sure?
I was of that opinion also.
I believe the connect has the ability to use a planed route system, it can work out your chosen journey and then, provide when and where you need to charge along the way.
Similar to the Tesla system.
If that WAS the case, then the info unit would need fairly regular updates to keep the system up to date with any new charging stations.
This is not fact, it’s just my opinion folks.
I think it unlikely that over the air updates would be used for major updates to the BMS system etc.
But you never know ?.
I am guessing that there will be extra hard wear built into the car to perform these functions.
Because it has been suggested that cars that do NOT have this facility can NOT be retro fitted / upgraded at a latter date.
So, it sounds like it is not just a software upgrade, hard wear is required also.
The route planning would be nice, but I would never use the other features TBH.
You can go on and on really, add this - add that, it all increases the price of the car in the end.

Anyone know for sure?
I don't know either, but what I do know is that SAIC has contracted with HERE to provide live services for MGs in Europe (as opposed to the EU).

HERE is a massive operation, and has huge datasets from which to provide live traffic info etc, as well as handling OTA.

Ultimately, I expect HERE to be interfacing with charging providers to be able to route you to an available charger, not just any old plug...

See HERE OTA here
News article SAIC MG and HERE

I was of that opinion also.
I believe the connect has the ability to use a planed route system, it can work out your chosen journey and then, provide when and where you need to charge along the way.
Similar to the Tesla system.
If that WAS the case, then the info unit would need fairly regular updates to keep the system up to date with any new charging stations.
This is not fact, it’s just my opinion folks.
I think it unlikely that over the air updates would be used for major updates to the BMS system etc.
But you never know ?.
I am guessing that there will be extra hard wear built into the car to perform these functions.
Because it has been suggested that cars that do NOT have this facility can NOT be retro fitted / upgraded at a latter date.
So, it sounds like it is not just a software upgrade, hard wear is required also.
The route planning would be nice, but I would never use the other features TBH.
You can go on and on really, add this - add that, it all increases the price of the car in the end.
I believe the new infotainment system receives maps updates over cellular network. It will have an embedded simcard for this.
The SE, trophy will not support live updates and music streaming, i.e you as a user will not have control on data downloaded. The manufacturer will be able to push updates to your car.
The trophy connect will allow you to download stuff on demand and maybe within few GB data limits.

OTA updates would normally refer to any software in the car including infotainment, BMS, or any of the ECUs. This is different from maps data, the distinction is one being a software algorithm and the other being data.
I imagine with OTA MG can push BMS updates to the car, when car is stationary and signal is strength is good.
As you can imagine it is difficult to get it right reliably. Even established Tier 1 manufacturers seem to struggle with OTA, so I expect few hiccups with new ZS EV.

I ordered one on Saturday - Trophy long range (opted not to go for the connect and instead spent the money on the Dynamic Red paint upgrade). Delivery is muted to be in Feb/Mar 2022 and will be on a 22 plate.

Yes, I have ordered, and to buck the trend of the discussion I am at the basic end of the spectrum. Have gone for an SE in Silver. I appreciate that many people will want the full monty and the higher specs will be better for them, but for my rather simple needs the extras were not really worth it. I am not bothered either way on the sun roof and I don’t really like plastic/faux leather seats or auto wipers (that's my job, bugger off car). The heated wing mirrors were an attraction, and I would like the extra filters too, but on balance there wasn’t enough that mattered to me on the Trophy or Trophy connect to justify the extra. The app, LED lights, some ergonomic changes (e.g. charging flap) and mainly the increased range were the big attractions for me. Process was easy and expected late Feb.

HI,
First post hope this is correct place.
Purchased New ZS in October 22 with affinity discount offer. Would like to upgrade to new Long range version of ZS. If/when MG offer affinity discount can I get discount again.

I've placed my order... £200 deposit taken last week and literally just got off phone with Martyn at Chorley having completed the remaining PCP-related questions.

We didn't discuss possible dates of when the car would be available.

People who have quoted Feb and March...

1. did you order from Chorley?
2. Did you press for an ETA?

People who have ordered specifically from Chorley, what documents have you received in terms of confirmation of your order?

Cheers,

Wayne

People who have ordered specifically from Chorley, what documents have you received in terms of confirmation of your order?

Just a couple of emails with what was agreed on the phone. and some terms and conditions

I've placed my order... £200 deposit taken last week and literally just got off phone with Martyn at Chorley having completed the remaining PCP-related questions.

We didn't discuss possible dates of when the car would be available.

People who have quoted Feb and March...

1. did you order from Chorley?
2. Did you press for an ETA?

Cheers,

Wayne
Yes, from Chorley, my current car is serviced there and they have been very good. You will get an order confirmation at some point. If they have taken a deposit then your orders on the books. I did ask about ETA and end Feb is likely. However, they don't really know and can't be certain, I don't think anyone can give a 100% guaranteed date yet. I believe MG is hosting a press day on 11th and demonstrators will arrive at dealerships latter in the month (I might be wide of mark here). I know they have been very busy!

I dropped in there yesterday and paid deposit. Martyn showed me a bundle of orders he has to get through (approx 30). He said an official email will come through when his boss has processed them. Jan/feb was mentioned.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom