MG ZS EV Facelift - Press Launch 11/11/21

Not sure which emoji I should use for the above post. I like the response but am angry that a standard might be introduced that wouldn't work with a popular modern ev.
Yeah - it's almost as if they've consulted the wrong type of expert and opted for style over substance 🤷‍♂️

According to the manual it's the other way round.
The spec sheet Miles released shows 115KW for the long range model.
The MG web site confirms this.
According to Miles spec sheet both have the same efficiency and performance figures.
No doubt tomorrow will reveal all 😁

The spec sheet Miles released shows 115KW for the long range model.
The MG web site confirms this.
According to Miles spec sheet both have the same efficiency and performance figures.
No doubt tomorrow will reveal all 😁
The two battery types are mentioned in charging times in the manual:
On average it takes at least 11.5 hours (battery pack type
1) or 8.5 hours (battery pack type 2) to complete a charge
that includes the equalisation charge.
Assuming Type 1 is the LR as it takes 3 hours longer to charge than type 2.
and the motor specs on page 318:
1636655711435.png

Attachments

• 1636655538937.png
    1636655538937.png
    257.4 KB · Views: 114
Aha I see in the LR gets the lower power motor - is the SR faster?
The Long Range and short range have the same motor (which is a totally different motor to both the old ZS and the MG5), but due to different battery pack voltages, the long range gets a rating of 115kW and the standard range gets a rating of 130kW.

Placed my order today through Chorley. Thanks @MilesperkWh for the assistance.

Questions I have, have been asked already but really keen to know about the heat pump (not expecting one tbh) and the V2L adaptor.

Can't wait for some UK videos to start surfacing and some info on real world range.

The weight makes no difference to the power draw of the motor. It depends on Volts and amps. Higher voltage battery = higher

Would assume that's down to the extra weight of the battery.
Silly me you're taking KW of motor and my half asleep brain is thinking horse power and I was thinking if they have the same motor the LR would likely be slower due to extra weight of larger battery. I'm awake now lol (or am I)

The Long Range and short range have the same motor (which is a totally different motor to both the old ZS and the MG5), but due to different battery pack voltages, the long range gets a rating of 115kW and the standard range gets a rating of 130kW.
Other way round according to the manual. (see my last post)

Manual may be wrong then?

Info from the MG Product Manager today
The manual makes more sense to me, the bigger battery (with more cells ?) should surely have a higher voltage than the smaller battery. 🤔
What do MG UK know anyway. :LOL:

Manual may be wrong then?

Info from the MG Product Manager today
Hi @MilesperkWh .
Hope you enjoyed the day, awaiting the video !.
Due to the extra HV battery weight in the 72 kw/h battery model, you would expect the performance of the LR model to suffer a big power loss ?.
But "Pat" of Tech & Wheels fame said that the new motor / engine has a 10hp increase to compensate for the increased weight of the pack.
The LR model is carrying 250 kg's of extra weight over the previous model.
That is another 39 stone in old money ( or 8 cases of beer as Pat put's it, in back ).
But, strangely he reports the performance is very close to the previous ZS EV with the 44 kw/h pack ??? 🤷‍♂️ .

Last edited:
The manual makes more sense to me, the bigger battery (with more cells ?) should surely have a higher voltage than the smaller battery. 🤔
What do MG UK know anyway. :LOL:
I all depends on how they arrange the cells, how many in parallel and how many in series etc.

@Coulomb you're the man I think who may be able to give a technical reason for the different power output from the motor dependant on the battery voltage....?

Looking at the manual the torque figures are the same. I'm no expert but presumably the maximum torque is limited by current draw and motor design which are the same on both models?

Torque is acceleration. Maximum power would limit the top speed. In a single geared ev at least.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom