MG ZS EV Facelift - Test drives

New Member here. This appears to be a knowledgeable forum so pleased to be here!

Have a test drive booked for Saturday morning 27th.

I am a virgin MGer and also new to EVs. I did test the Kona 64kw last week. Not top of the range model but in the kw ballpark I am looking for. It was quite a good drive but I felt the road noise was quite noticeable, which may be unavoidable in an EV, you guys would know better than me.

I currently drive a Jag X type which was a project car for me. I will be glad to move over to electric even though the Jag is a lovely drive.

I'll post my newbie thoughts after Saturday.

Alll the best
Andrew

the price is now into the majority of builders, it will lose it edge, Skoda seems to be leading at present
If you look at those other manufacturers and what you get for £30k, then I think MG is still better value, even though the price has gone up. I just configured an Enyaq 80 as close as I could to the Trophy model I have put down an order on and its comes up as costing £43,830! (see the pdf attachment for what I had to add to get the same/similar config!)
I have test driven the Enyaq and the EV6 and so will compare if I can but think the MG will be the best value.
Me too, I don't think the ZS EV will ride as well as the EV6, but its a lot better value! Enyaq is not as cheap as it first appears as to get the same equipment as the ZS EV Trophy/Connect you need to add a few packs to the base model. See attachment below. OK you get some extra bits in some of the packs, but, for example, to get the MG Pilot type suite of equipment you need to add the assisted driving package plus!

Attachments

• car-card-C7G8C10W.pdf
    892.1 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
If you look at those other manufacturers and what you get for £30k, then I think MG is still better value, even though the price has gone up. I just configured an Enyaq 80 as close as I could to the Trophy model I have put down an order on and its comes up as costing £43,830! (see the pdf attachment for what I had to add to get the same/similar config!)

Me too, I don't think the ZS EV will ride as well as the EV6, but its a lot better value! Enyaq is not as cheap as it first appears as to get the same equipment as the ZS EV Trophy/Connect you need to add a few packs to the base model. See attachment below. OK you get some extra bits in some of the packs, but, for example, to get the MG Pilot type suite of equipment you need to add the assisted driving package plus!
This is exactly what I found myself - you have to go poverty spec to come close to the same price, or add on a few thousand in extras to come close to MG's kit and lose the PiCG in the process. Overall I don't find it to be worth the extra money.

We received ours yesterday. Heading out for a drive in it this morning now it’s fully charged. Will pre-heat it before I get to work. Any specific questions you’d like me to try answer?
Hi, New member here! I currently have a daily commute of 184 miles, so really hoping to find an EV that can get me to work and back without topping up (no chargers at or near work). 180 of the 184 miles are on A roads and Motorways, so I'd be really grateful if you can tell me the m/kwh at 60mph and 70mph to see if it has the range.

Thanks!

Lummex

This is exactly what I found myself - you have to go poverty spec to come close to the same price, or add on a few thousand in extras to come close to MG's kit and lose the PiCG in the process. Overall I don't find it to be worth the extra money.
no me neither.

Hi, New member here! I currently have a daily commute of 184 miles, so really hoping to find an EV that can get me to work and back without topping up (no chargers at or near work). 180 of the 184 miles are on A roads and Motorways, so I'd be really grateful if you can tell me the m/kwh at 60mph and 70mph to see if it has the range.

Thanks!

Lummex
Great question @Lummex .
The figures provided by Sam, should hopefully convince you that your journey is achievable.
My gut reaction says that the 72 kw/h pack should make that trip just fine, even on the coldest days !.

Great question @Lummex .
The figures provided by Sam, should hopefully convince you that your journey is achievable.
My gut reaction says that the 72 kw/h pack should make that trip just fine, even on the coldest days !.
Thanks @Lovemyev ! I'm hoping so too! I'm a bit nervous as the EV Database estimates highway range - cold as 160 miles (MG ZS EV Long Range). After a 12 hour day I don't fancy pushing a shiny new ZS EV the last 24 miles down the A14!

Thanks @Lovemyev ! I'm hoping so too! I'm a bit nervous as the EV Database estimates highway range - cold as 160 miles (MG ZS EV Long Range). After a 12 hour day I don't fancy pushing a shiny new ZS EV the last 24 miles down the A14!
That feels like a huge loss in range to me ?.
Knocking on about 100 miles off the WLTP figure, does appear to be a lot !.

That feels like a huge loss in range to me ?.
Knocking on about 100 miles off the WLTP figure, does appear to be a lot !.

Probably guesswork, I doubt they've had chance to test this!
I think you're right, they go off expected worst case scenarios and guess the usable capacity of the battery pack.

I'd be interested to know the m/kWh achieved at 60mph & 70mph from any current ZS EV owners too, to have a comparison if/when @Sam Luscombe can provide figures on the long range model. I'm curious whether there's anything more than just a bigger battery, or whether the facelifted body makes any difference!

I think you're right, they go off expected worst case scenarios and guess the usable capacity of the battery pack.

I'd be interested to know the m/kWh achieved at 60mph & 70mph from any current ZS EV owners too, to have a comparison if/when @Sam Luscombe can provide figures on the long range model. I'm curious whether there's anything more than just a bigger battery, or whether the facelifted body makes any difference!
The body is the same, just the front and rear are different. the new front supposedly more aero -dynamic that the old fake grille though so I guess we'll see!

is the 30K spec for the new MG the low power one, I thought the high powered one in in the range of 35K

Adding any sort of decent spec to most competitors really jacks up the price. Enyaq, Ioniq 5 and EV6 are all massively overhyped and overpriced. Look beyond the hype and paid for opinion pieces and the only real choices in long range ev's are MG or Tesla.

Adding any sort of decent spec to most competitors really jacks up the price. Enyaq, Ioniq 5 and EV6 are all massively overhyped and overpriced. Look beyond the hype and paid for opinion pieces and the only real choices in long range ev's are MG or Tesla.
Not sure that Ioniq 5 is overhyped. It's a significant car in the segment and fights a good case against MG and Tesla.

£42k for similar spec to the MG. that's 10 grand more. also a grand more than a better kitted Tesla model 3 which solves the Achilles heel of EV's; the charging network. It's a nice car but I would opt for MG on better value for money or Tesla for the charging network, performance, and tech.

Having said that the Ioniq 5 is the better on the 3 mentioned. EV6 or enyaq are even worse when you look at kit offered and finance deals.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom