MG ZS EV - Faults cannot drive...

Batteries now equalised volts now saying 132 so in theory 18 more slow charges to restore .

If YOU want to speed up the process a little, when the car is fully charged & balanced.
After you have used it to make a small trip and you have lost one of the white bars displayed on the range indicator, put the car back on charge again.
It will then top up the HV battery and then start the balancing process more quickly.
As the HV battery starts to recover, the balancing process time will slowly start to decrease.
At first, don't be surprised if it takes a LONG time.
It will attempt to balance the pack for about 12 hours and then give up until the next time.
Don't worry, it is only pulling about 500 Watts when the balancing starts, then this demand will reduce as it gets closer to finishing.
It's a stepped process starting at 500 Watts, then 300 then about 175 Watts just before it finishes.
If you have a home energy meter in your home, you can witness this process for yourself.
Ask me how I know !.
As others have said, you CAN charge and balance from your 7 kw wall box.
But NOT from a rapid unit.
When you are requesting a charge from your wall box, from any SOC up to 97 - 98% the car will permit the full 7 kw's.
At around 97 - 98% SOC the rate will reduce down from 7.0kw's down to 3.5 kw's until it then hits the 100% fully charged state.
The MG light in the grill will be displaying a soft glowing / pulsing light while this takes place..
Then when balancing process will commences, the MG light will switch to a soft constant / steady glow.
When the MG light goes out, the balancing process has completed and your wall box will automatically shut down with it's familiar heavy "Clunk" sound from the unit.

If YOU want to speed up the process a little, when the car is fully charged & balanced.
After you have used it to make a small trip and you have lost one of the white bars displayed on the range indicator, put the car back on charge again.
It will then top up the HV battery and then start the balancing process more quickly.
As the HV battery starts to recover, the balancing process time will slowly start to decrease.
At first, don't be surprised if it takes a LONG time.
It will attempt to balance the pack for about 12 hours and then give up until the next time.
Don't worry, it is only pulling about 500 Watts when the balancing starts, then this demand will reduce as it gets closer to finishing.
It's a stepped process starting at 500 Watts, then 300 then about 175 Watts just before it finishes.
If you have a home energy meter in your home, you can witness this process for yourself.
Ask me how I know !.
As others have said, you CAN charge and balance from your 7 kw wall box.
But NOT from a rapid unit.
When you are requesting a charge from your wall box, from any SOC up to 97 - 98% the car will permit the full 7 kw's.
At around 97 - 98% SOC the rate will reduce down from 7.0kw's down to 3.5 kw's until it then hits the 100% fully charged state.
The MG light in the grill will be displaying a soft glowing / pulsing light while this takes place..
Then when balancing process will commences, the MG light will switch to a soft constant / steady glow.
When the MG light goes out, the balancing process has completed and your wall box will automatically shut down with it's familiar heavy "Clunk" sound from the unit.
Thank you for the advise lovrmyev I will put it on my 7kw pod point tomorrow after I run battery down 1 bar as you suggested.

Thank you for the advise lovrmyev I will put it on my 7kw pod point tomorrow after I run battery down 1 bar as you suggested.
Remember, if your HV battery has been badly effected by the Buggy software, then it is likely it is going to take a while to recover and it will require a number of charge / balance processes to recover.
Other members have seen the bad effects reversed, but it does not happen overnight.
MG have given the dealers an opportunity to return the affected cars to normal, before returning the cars to the customer.
But many customers are now carrying out the process at home, after the latest BMS update has been applied.

I have a choice of a courtesy through the AA but I want MG to supply one longer than 3 days, it's an utter joke, thanks for everyone to help to get this resolved, don't really get much from the dealers/MG UK
What was the resolution from the dealer, what did they do to fix it? I have just had the same issue and is on my way back to the dealer any info would be appreciated

In my case bms was out of date they told me they updated software and car would work again I'm still balancing my battery every couple of days my battery volts have now gone from 431 volts upto 438 volts takes a lot of charges due to only going up 0.1 volts per charge getting 171 miles per full charge in eco mode so seems to be getting there it just takes time . Hope this was helpful Dave 53.

I have the original bms but with the infotec upgrade only. This gives me 456 volts after full charge. When its time for a service, should I ask to remain on this bms level?

good morning
I'm having the same issue.
I've had my mg for almost 1 year now without 1 problem I'm super happy with it😊 my car has the factory BMS and I notice that my battery is in top condition, because it hardly ever starts the equalization process. brand badge lamp just go off immediately after a full charge and I can also see it immediately in the remaining charging time. so why would I risk changing the software.
I never leave the car fully charged for more than 1 day, so it will be better with the deterioration of the battery.

To be on the safe side I would get all updates avaliable when car goes for service.

My inclination is the same as the chap from Rotterdam. Why change something that isn't broken? I am happy with my car and have had no problems except a broken doorlock.

I get a consistent 175 miles after recharge when on Normal with the fan blowing in summer, and 167 in winter, as advertised.

Hi all

My car has been in the dealer because of the below faults, the car was recovered by the AA and got to the MG dealer with no faults what so ever, they could start the car and run the car fine. Looking at this it tells me there are faults and now I cannot move the car, I've left the car to fully charge on a 7KWH charger and these errors have now come up when it reached full charge. Has anyone had any experience with this? The dealer said the car has no issues as the errors were gone when it reached the dealer. I don't have a clue what to do as they couldn't diagnose anything with the vehicle, they ever charged it to 100% with the MG pod point charger at MG and the technician took the car home to test the mileage.

MG have confirmed my car is fully updated with the latest BMS, I have tried multiple balance charges with no success of having the voltage of the battery improve any....
in the mean time I'm contact the finance provider to try get a break in the finance agreement as I'm sick and tired of this.

Any ideas.... I've run out and sick and tired of the car now???
Don't know if this helps but my my had a similar problem it turned out to be the battery charger and the car battery shut down to protect the car, after the charger was fixed I had no more problem and mg did a update on the car

I had the error warnings for disconnected high volt battery (yellow, struck through), and malfunctioning low volt battery (red) after charging for 10 minutes at a high speed charger in the Calais Eurotunnel.

Per advice in the thread I disconnected the low voltage battery negative terminal for two minutes and reconnected and all seems good now.

Posting mostly in case helpful to others, but any other advice at this point? Should I see a dealer just in case? (I normally granny charge at home, which sounds from this thread is a good thing)

I had the error warnings for disconnected high volt battery (yellow, struck through), and malfunctioning low volt battery (red) after charging for 10 minutes at a high speed charger in the Calais Eurotunnel.

Per advice in the thread I disconnected the low voltage battery negative terminal for two minutes and reconnected and all seems good now.

Posting mostly in case helpful to others, but any other advice at this point? Should I see a dealer just in case? (I normally granny charge at home, which sounds from this thread is a good thing)
Worthwhile speaking to your dealer I had the same issue caused by a faulty Rapid, they did a software update and have not had an issue since 👍

Our MG ZS EV failed twice in the space of 4 months, having been with two separate dealers for over two months, waiting for an appointment to get it fixed. The car was purchased in 2020 and, for the first 18 months, did not have any major issues (only some random restart of the radio unit). The car has always been charged at home with the original charger supplied by MG.

The first time the car stopped while we were driving, it refused to switch on again. AA towed it to a dealer, and a software update was applied. A few weeks later, the dashboard displayed a random error message. We took the car back to the dealer, and a new software update was installed. Three weeks ago, the car failed again: the same story; it stopped while driving, and AA could only tow it to a dealer. We have now been told that a new charging control unit is required, but the dealer did not confirm whether the original one developed a fault (after six months) or was faulty since we bought the car.

Does anyone have information on this? It is important for us to understand whether the (new) car was of inappropriate quality when we took possession of it or whether a genuine fault developed after six months of possession. We are awaiting information from the dealer on the part number that is required. Once we have collected sufficient information we will submit it to DVLA to prompt MG to issue a recall. It appears unacceptable that MG did not issue a recall for a fault that could potentially endanger people's lives.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom