MG ZS EV - I cannot use CCS On Public Chargers

Mundiz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I'm on my first long run in over a year (Doncaster to Tenby) and am having problems at public chargers. I charge once or twice a week at my home PodPoint charger with no problems. I've now been on the road since 05:00 and it's 11:33 and I've tried two different public chargers ( BP Pulse and Genie Point). I'm having the same problem at both chargers. When I try using CCS I pass all the connection tests but they fail to give me any charge. I've contacted both tech admins and they've rebooted the chargers several times to no avail. I've then tried the Type 2 connections and they have both connected and charged. Has anyone else had this problem? I have a MG ZS EV Exclusive and it's red if it helps.

This sounds very like the problem I had. There's a locking pin which if it sticks means you cannot secure the cable in place. You may be able to see it and poke it back. If that doesn't work call MG Assist: it's a known fault and they actually have a video on their tablets showing how to fix it.

Thanks for your replies:
All scheduling is off.
Tried doors locked and unlocked.
Locking pin works.

When the car supposedly starts charging (Says charging but takes no charge) have you tried to see if you can remove the plug, it should be locked in place.

If it is...How long did you wait from the time it said "Charging" and 0 Amps until you aborted.

I have had a few instances where it would take the better part of 1 minute or 2 from it "starting the charge" until it actually ramped up the amps and actually took a charge, the charger just said 0 Amps in that time

When the car supposedly starts charging (Says charging but takes no charge) have you tried to see if you can remove the plug, it should be locked in place.

If it is...How long did you wait from the time it said "Charging" and 0 Amps until you aborted.

I have had a few instances where it would take the better part of 1 minute or 2 from it "starting the charge" until it actually ramped up the amps and actually took a charge, the charger just said 0 Amps in that time
Agree, same as me. The MFG 150 kw chargers takes over 90 secs to start putting actual amps into the car.

Is it worth disconecting the car from its 12V battery for a few mins?

Hope it gets sorted ,

The first ZS EV model has to be turned off completely before you can CCS charge it. Once the Charging has started you can turn the car on and have the heater running. Maybe that was what you're experiencing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Small World Mundiz! hope you're well! I also got MG but I went for the MG5, Any ways get in touch!
N.Gosling

I'm just about ready to set off home to Doncaster from Tenby and I've charged using CCS several times and I think I've cracked my charging problems. It doesn't matter if the car is on or off, locked or unlocked, Red or blue. What you need is a handful of chicken bones. Whichever charger you use either plug in first or get the app working before plugging in then throw the chicken bones onto the floor. Then the charging will start or it won't. Simples.

I'm just about ready to set off home to Doncaster from Tenby and I've charged using CCS several times and I think I've cracked my charging problems. It doesn't matter if the car is on or off, locked or unlocked, Red or blue. What you need is a handful of chicken bones. Whichever charger you use either plug in first or get the app working before plugging in then throw the chicken bones onto the floor. Then the charging will start or it won't. Simples.
I use yarrow sticks and the I Ching Book of Changes as it's a chinese car. :)

Sage, salt and and introduction to witchcraft from the 1600’s helped

I'm on my first long run in over a year (Doncaster to Tenby) and am having problems at public chargers. I charge once or twice a week at my home PodPoint charger with no problems. I've now been on the road since 05:00 and it's 11:33 and I've tried two different public chargers ( BP Pulse and Genie Point). I'm having the same problem at both chargers. When I try using CCS I pass all the connection tests but they fail to give me any charge. I've contacted both tech admins and they've rebooted the chargers several times to no avail. I've then tried the Type 2 connections and they have both connected and charged. Has anyone else had this problem? I have a MG ZS EV Exclusive and it's red if it helps.
Check if you don't have a battery heating setting. CCS are fast chargers and in order to use them presumably the battery should be preheated prior to fast charging.

We've had problems charging at BP Pulse - although talking to other people I think its a BP problem rather than an MG issue.

Just head for instavolt chargers now - they almost always just work.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom