MG ZS EV Mk 1 Charging

Hi I can only charge my mk1 ZS when it is locked and if I open it,it stops charging,
is this normal?
Thanks Steve 🚙
Our mk1 will stop then after 30seconds start again, this is to allow you to remove the charge lead if you want but also to allow you to charge while in the car.

This was an update for the mk1 early on

Hi I can only charge my mk1 ZS when it is locked and if I open it,it stops charging,
is this normal?
Thanks Steve 🚙
How long have you had the car and what BMS update are you on?
Try the search bar as there are a few threads on this.

Mine's the same, it resumes charging after 30 seconds if you have not opened a door as the automatic relocking engages, or it resumes charging in a couple of seconds if you manually relock it.
Some owners had an update to make it charge without locking, but I didn't bother as I prefer it as it is.
As @rpannell says above, it's an easy way to stop it charging.

Yep our mk1 ZS did that as well however MG brought out a BMS / charger update that changed this so it would charge when locked, well worth doing IMO.

Even without the update it will charge when unlocked if you're on a DC rapid charger.

is this normal?
Thanks Steve 🚙
Hi Steve - You may find the below provides the answer to your question.
The BMS update was done on SOME Gen 1 models, when the operating software had become corrupted, as a result of having certain software updates done.
SOME ( but not all ) cars became infected while having the "Comfort 2" update done.
The software "Bug" that caused problems with range, and even a reduction of power on some cars.
When applying updates, there is another step along the way, for the EV tech to complete ( that step often gets missed ) it is a tick box exercise to the EVCC module.
When this is done correctly, it will allow the car to A/C charge with the doors unlocked !.
I will include below a better explanation of this.
My previous Gen 1 had the software cannon fired at it, when it closed down completely while at the dealer having it's first service and drivers door wiring loom replaced.
It was stranded on a lift for three days while MG Tech came up with fix for the dealer to apply.
The BMS software etc etc was done to get the car up and running again !.
Hope this answers your question.

Charging unlocked/locked update for ZS EV ( Gen 1).​

The ZSEV has always supported unlocked charging on CCS (rapid chargers) and in 2020 a software update was released to add this function to charging on type 2 (6.6 kWh fast chargers). You are less likely to want to sit in your car for this slower charging, although it can still be occasionally useful. This is a side update to the BMS update: specifically to the EVCC module of the car. Once this is installed, the car will charge both locked or unlocked.

To stop the charge after the update, lock the car, then simply unlock with the key fob whilst at the front of the car. You will hear the car unlock the charge lead locking pin will disengage, and you can then remove the lead. If you do not unplug the lead, it will re-engage the lock and resume charging about 15 seconds later.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom