MG ZS EV Shipping Updates

Got a call from ChargedEV today to advise that they wouldn’t be able to carry out my install before the end of the month - understandable, given that we’re halfway through March and I hadn’t booked it yet. This was my free install via Vanarama. They advised that if I wanted to proceed I’d have to pay the £350 as I’ll no longer be eligible for the grant due to it finishing at the end of March.

I asked if they didn’t mind me delaying, seeing as it’s likely to be at least 6 months before I get the car. They’ve asked me speak to Vanarama but didn’t see a problem with it. Obviously it would have been better not to have to pay anything at all but a lot can happen in 6 months and I don’t want to be liable for the full cost of the charger if I change my mind.

£350 is still a good price for smart charger.
Vanarama are still offering the free charger though, so presumably that will be without the Government Grant anyway?

Vanarama are still offering the free charger though, so presumably that will be without the Government Grant anyway?
Looking at their terms they state if you qualify for the grant the money goes to them so, on the face of it, they've priced in not getting the grant.
Doesn't of course mean that they won't change the terms once the grant is no longer available and offer it as a discounted install instead.

Another update. My dealership had a lorry full today.... my car wasn't on it infact it's been delayed at least another 3 days. I'm at my wits end with it now. If it gets pushed back again I'm genuinely considering telling them to bloody keep it. 7 month wait is kind of a kick in the teeth.

Another update. My dealership had a lorry full today.... my car wasn't on it infact it's been delayed at least another 3 days. I'm at my wits end with it now. If it gets pushed back again I'm genuinely considering telling them to bloody keep it. 7 month wait is kind of a kick in the teeth.
Sorry to hear that. Could I asked when you ordered please?

To be honest I think all dealers are stuck with the shortage of various parts associated with certain models.
Infotainment screens are one, and this seems to be the Trophy Connect model. Why, who knows, but an educated guess would be to do with the Connect options, Amazon Music, Live traffic data etc. This is all controlled by a chip and that chip isn't in the Trophy model, just Trophy Connect.
Why SR cars are coming through ,who knows, but maybe due to the extra BMS controls needs for the LR model with larger battery.
All educated guesses.
I'll post another question separately trying to find out EXACTLY what the Connect option gives!
This because my dealer - Richmond Cars - 'might' be able to get me a Trophy LR, not Connect, sooner!

All the MG's have over the air software update facility, so is this not the same hardware as the trophy connect, only with the connect the software allows it to access amazon music etc. I assume it is via the mobile phone networks?

All the MG's have over the air software update facility, so is this not the same hardware as the trophy connect, only with the connect the software allows it to access amazon music etc. I assume it is via the mobile phone networks?
The Connect has a SIM Card, as do all new ZS EVs. What the SIM Card provides will depend on the version of the car you have purchased.

Voice commands are provided in the Connect for lots of car functions with around 100 commands :) .

My favourite is ..

“Hey MG - I want to see the sky”

I have an Amazon Music account subscription so get the channel with no adverts. Even if you haven’t got a subscription you still get a lot of free music, just interspersed with adverts.

The WiFi hotspot provided in the Trophy Connect is brilliant. It’s a multi-network SIM so you almost always have a good connection. Great for checking emails while you are charging.

The Amazon music is via the inbuilt SIM. It is a multi network SIM so goes to the strongest signal as you drive along. No dead spots, unless there is NO mobile signal, parts of the A470 in Wales have no coverage for both mobile or FM and DAB radio! Rather nice having silence!
You get a nominal Gb or so, this for the life of the car. You pay Amazon for a Music subscription so you can choose your tunes and don't have ads every so often.
You don't have to subscribe to Amazon so then you get free music streaming but you can't chose which tunes, very much like Spotify, music out of a speaker you have no control over the content, and it has ads, but it is free!

Here is the difference in the two spec's.
Yeah - Trophy I-Connects are very likely to be longer delayed, than the standard Trophy.

Trophy vs Iconnect 2022-01-09 at 15.56.25.png

They haven't build your car, they don't build to order they batch build. Whatever you have ordered is sitting on the dock with hundreds of others waiting for semi conductors. That's what they mean when they say your car is built. So is everyone else's 😆
Kept telling them that but excuses all the while even said would be nice to just have e mail once a month even if its just to say still no news but said it hard to do that with all 150 customers
Yeah told them that mine and everyone else's car. Don't think they found that funny just said when car arrives will let me know

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely spot on !.
Then kept production lines running and built a HUGE stock piles of cars.
Fields and fields of them, all sitting there awaiting head units !.
I had the opportunity to work at a car plant for about 18 months, it was truly an education.
At that time, new car registrations where only once a year on August the 1st.
To hit dealer targets, line rates would be increased from about May time.
By the summer months, thousands of untrimmed cars would sit parked up on company owned or leased hard standing.
Then, as the orders came flooding in from the dealers, the cars would pass through the "Soft Trim" area and have all of the interior items installed.
This would happen 24 hours a day, seven days a week !.
The seats etc was left out, to prevent the trim from fading by the strong sun light in the summer time.
Remember, these cars would just sit there for a good couple of months in the very same location, without even moving an inch !.
You would see a convoy of drivers shipping cars back into the factory for weeks and weeks on end.
They would have a rescue team following behind installing new batteries and adding fuel to the cars that had run out of fuel, on the way back to the factory.
This was one of the reasons why, the industry asked for twice a year registrations to take place.
To try and address the "Feast or Famine" situation caused every year.
Thank you for that that information was very interesting got some more understanding how mg work. So think dealer are lying saying mine is sitting on shanghai dock waiting for chip everybody's sitting in a fied very grateful for your input nice to hear the truth

What I don’t understand is why it is so difficult for the cars to not arrive on a first come, first served basis.

Fair enough that deliveries could be split by model type but in theory a LR Trophy for example ordered in November should not be delivered after one ordered in February.

We shouldn’t also have to take into account for example which MG dealership ours cars were ordered through. A large multi dealership in Scotland for example should be treated the same as a dealership in Kent with a small number of employees.

I went into Arnold Clark Linwood today I spoke to the sales manager to ask if my MG5 LR will arrive on 23rd of this month, he made a couple of calls and said my car is at Bristol awaiting transport it will be here before the end of the month. As i was leaving a car transporter was unloading ZS models I spoke to the driver and asked where he came from he said Bristol and that there where hundreds of MGs there and all he was doing was running up and down from Bristol picking up MGs
Get it from the horses mouth as dealers don't know anything

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom