MG ZS EV Won't charge past sixty percent

Why only 80%? Why not 100%
Charging to only 80% is much better for long term battery health. Only charge to 100% if you are expecting to drive a long distance. It is also recommended that you do occasionally charge to 100% to equalise all the cells in the battery to the same voltage.

Hello everyone, our 2023 MG ZS EV won't charge past sixty percent. This only started last week when putting the charge on charge overnight with the battery around 20%. The last two charges show a display reading charging complete at 60%. The car then stops charging. I tried unplugging and plugging back in several times. Don't know if I am doing anything wrong, grateful for any ideas.
Best wishes
Michael.
Have you set the MG app to charge to 100%?

Last edited by a moderator:
The first 20% and the last 20% need a lot more power to charge, therefore it is the most economical way.
I then do a 100% charge once a month to balance the cells. Mine is a second Gen ZS Trophy.

The first 20% and the last 20% need a lot more power to charge, therefore it is the most economical way.
? I think you're thinking of the way that rapid chargers take longer to charge the last 20% or so, but that's because the Battery Management System tells the charger to charge more slowly (less power).

There will be a little power used for balancing in the last ≈7% of the charge, but it's fairly low.

The first 20% of the battery (0-20% SoC) doesn't take more power to recharge, but it's best to avoid leaving the battery at that State of Charge, or even getting that low regularly if you can avoid it.

I'm charging my MGZS Trophy 2023 model on a Ohme charger
battery shows 100% but mileage on economy mode only showing 222
Is this because of the cold weather v

Yes, without a doubt!
I lost nearly half in the cold - I even took it to the dealership who confirmed this.
They told me basically every person that bought a car from them came back to ask the same thing!
It’s normal… so they say!

SR gen 2 trophy. By the way, I can’t reset the charge limit back to 80%, is this feature available on this model. The sales rep at the dealer said it was.
No the dealer was wrong, that's just for the LR model; for the SR just charge to 100%

They take away the ability to change the charge limit to anything less than 100% on the LFP models. Which to my mind is very heavy handed and confusing. Why not just a pop up message saying we recommend charging to 100% most of the time, but still give people the flexibility to part charge if that's what they want? Maybe you only need a quick charge for a short grocery run, and power is expensive at the moment.

The "we know better" mentality is infuriating to me.

They take away the ability to change the charge limit to anything less than 100% on the LFP models. Which to my mind is very heavy handed and confusing. Why not just a pop up message saying we recommend charging to 100% most of the time, but still give people the flexibility to part charge if that's what they want? Maybe you only need a quick charge for a short grocery run, and power is expensive at the moment.

The "we know better" mentality is infuriating to me.
Me too. I like to keep charge between 20 and 80% because the first 20% and the last 20% take a lot more power. If MG recommend 100% charging, then why promote 80% for the LR. Just saying…..

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom