MG ZS Steering Fault - clicking when turning

Yes - obviously tighter than before but doable.
Mine's very tight to the point you almost can't move the lever, but if you're going to go a bit tighter, whatever you do don't strip the threads.
If you're not confident to go any tighter, then take it the dealers and let them deal with it.
They may just tighten it but at least if they strip the threads it's going to be their problem then.

Does anyone who is familiar with this problem recognise this screw? I found it in the drivers footwell of my MG ZS EV MK1 and yes I have the clicking (although it's intermittent)

Attachments

• IMG_20220702_180928436~2.jpg
    IMG_20220702_180928436~2.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20220702_180821399.jpg
    IMG_20220702_180821399.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 110
Not seen that screw but to my mind it does look like the sort of thing that might play a part in the clicking!

So what causes the clicking sound, I have it too. Our MG had now done 8000km, the clicking sound is still the same, no worse, just a little annoying.

I've added a link in the first post of this thread to a thread where someone had their steering universal joint fail. This is a very serious situation. We don't know at present how prevalent this problem is, whether it affects the facelift models at all, or whether it's even related to the steering clicking sound. But out of an abundance of caution, please everyone with the clicking get it checked. If you are handy with mechanicals, check the universal joints yourself.

Does anyone who is familiar with this problem recognise this screw? I found it in the drivers footwell of my MG ZS EV MK1 and yes I have the clicking (although it's intermittent)
I would check round here?
Screenshot_20220703_122948.jpg

Sorry not my pic but you can just see a silver bolt but it's probably bit bigger than yours but you need to have a nose around
Screenshot_20220703_124857.jpg

Last edited:
The design of the bolt is a little odd ?.
It has a “lead” machined on the start, that would indicate that this lead, enters into another part to ensure correct alignment of two parts ?.
It also has a hole machined right though the head of the bolt, that would suggest a locking pin our some type of locking mechanism.
The head is produced circular and has a straight screw driver slot in the head, as if it sits in a reseted hole ?.
Could it be an alignment screw that they remove, before attaching two parts together.
Became lost in the car then became dislodged after a while ?.
Hey …… The car has an automatic steering lock, could this be an alignment peg / bolt they remove before attaching the steering lock to the column ????.
The alignment lead on this bolt, points to this type of arrangement.
The only way to be sure, would be to take it to the dealer and ask them if they can identify it from the pictures on the parts computer.
If it can not be traced as a purchasable item, then it’s a preproduction locking bolt, removed in the production process.
Basically it is then classed as FOD ( junk ) and should have been removed from the car.

Get bit of detective 🕵️‍♀️ work @Kithmo .
It will be interesting to hear, if increasing the pressure via the nut on the steering clamp, turns out to be a long term fix.
I like you, believe we have a couple of different issues causing this noise at the wheel.
The failed UJ in the video is more than a little concerning for both the owner and MG themselves that’s for sure !.
You would definitely be able to feel the play in the column, when rocking the steering wheel if the UJ was in this state.
There would be a considerable amount of free play present at the steering wheel, that’s for sure !.
A couple of U.K. owners have had there columns replaced, which had cured the problem it would appear.
MG must be 100% aware of this issue, because they have released a service bulletin ( MG - 0020 ) that recognises the problem.
I understand, this MG - SB recommends replacing the steering column, not sure if this means the entire column assembly, or just the lower section, that houses both of the UJ joints, I have no idea.
This section is splined to the column at the upper point and the lower point attaches to a similar splined shaft of the steering rack.
Both points have a pinch bolt that passes through the knuckles of the coupling and is then torqued up to the manufactures spec.
MG would not be taking this type of action unless they where total convinced that it was a real safety concern.
Maybe they have identified a problem with the UJ joints, on certain cars that has resulted in premature failure.
UJ steering joints are see a potential wear point, but certainly NOT at this early stage in the cars life !.
Hi do you have have a copy of MG Service Bulletin MG-0020. I am still ongoing with my driving column knuckle joint failure. Thankfully Motobility have taken my case over along with RAC. I have managed track down 16 members on this forum who have had their steering column replaced and counting.
thanks Joe

Hi do you have have a copy of MG Service Bulletin MG-0020. I am still ongoing with my driving column knuckle joint failure. Thankfully Motobility have taken my case over along with RAC. I have managed track down 16 members on this forum who have had their steering column replaced and counting.
thanks Joe
Sorry - I don’t know if MG have released a service bulletin yet, I just made reference to the fact that I thought 💭 they SHOULD have done one by now.
Maybe they have, but unless you have access to the MG direct mailing system, then it’s not likely that we will ever find out.
That is great detective work !.
I don’t call replacing 16 steering columns a “Isolated Incident” it sounds more like an admittance of a real problem to me.
Tracking down a batch of potentially defective column / UJ joints is going to take time.
But this is the worry factor, as time passes more people could be at serious risk.
They could have a couple of suppliers ?.
Most car manufacturers rarely depend on a single supplier.

We have had our car into MG yesterday. They tightened two bolts and clicking stopped. Looks similar to bolt posted earlier. All good, clicking gone. However today MG UK have insisted the car have a full steering rack replacement under warranty. The service advisor would not commit to wether it was a recall but it needs done. Get them checked folks 👎

We have had our car into MG yesterday. They tightened two bolts and clicking stopped. Looks similar to bolt posted earlier. All good, clicking gone. However today MG UK have insisted the car have a full steering rack replacement under warranty. The service advisor would not commit to wether it was a recall but it needs done. Get them checked folks 👎
What model do you have and what is the age of the car and what mileage has it covered please.

When do they expect to get the parts?

I had mine in yesterday with the same issue, they confirmed its safe to drive as it is, so we'll see.

It's on a MK2 LR with 8000 miles on it BTW.

Last edited:
Same here, steering column replacement required and on order for Long Range ZS EV 71. MG Hyde, Manchester

That's a significant failure shown in the picture. But that doesn't appear to be a recall yet.

IMG_20220810_093731.jpg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom