MG ZS Trophy Long range - charging losses.

Golfmalc

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have been noticing that the mileage I am covering is significantly less than the projected range. Today was a good example. The outside temperature was 11 degrees and I made a round trip of 54 miles in ECO mode with minimal use of the heater other than to clear misting on a couple of occasions. This involved local roads at each end of the journey and approx. 40 miles in total on an A road with several sections subject to 40 or 50 mile limits and my speed otherwise under 60mph for the rest. The projected range at the start was 232 miles and when I arrived home it was down to 146 miles. This seems a bit excessive and I would welcome any thoughts on whether this is normal.

It would be worth ensuring the heating is off when you take the final GOM reading. If it was on, you could be seeing say 30 miles less than if it was turned off. Thus 232-30-54=148?

Upvote 0
Yes heating was definitely off. I had only used it for a few minutes when starting, to clear the windscreen and once or twice during the journey when the screen misted up again. Since I got the car in August 2022 I mostly drove with the heater on all the time I.e. cabin temp around 18 or 19 and fan on 2 (or air con when appropriate) and only started driving with it off in the last few days after seeing the difference it made by turning it on or off while driving, thinking that might be the answer to the problem. The first time I tried it I did a local trip of approx. 12 miles and the loss of range was about the same, which was quite encouraging. I only do about 100 miles or so each week and during October also did a check over a 10day period. During this time the start range was 281 and I added 202 miles of range in several charges using the Granny Cable. The outside temperature was probably a few degrees higher and the actual mileage covered in various local journals was only 167miles. I’m sure that when I first got the car and driving with the heater as described above the mileage covered more nearly matched the projected range but have no figures available to support this.

Upvote 0
I was getting about 280 miles of range to 80% during the summer and did a 100% charge on 1st October, as I had read something about this being occasionally to balance the battery and it went to 326. So I’m quite happy with those figures and and fact that cold weather can affect things but the percentage loss I am getting on quite short runs still seems very high. My wife gets very bored and tells me not to worry when I complain to her about this so just trying to make sense of it by raising the question here!

Upvote 0
I have been noticing that the mileage I am covering is significantly less than the projected range. Today was a good example. The outside temperature was 11 degrees and I made a round trip of 54 miles in ECO mode with minimal use of the heater other than to clear misting on a couple of occasions. This involved local roads at each end of the journey and approx. 40 miles in total on an A road with several sections subject to 40 or 50 mile limits and my speed otherwise under 60mph for the rest. The projected range at the start was 232 miles and when I arrived home it was down to 146 miles. This seems a bit excessive and I would welcome any thoughts on whether this is normal.
There are lots of posts about estimated range and actual range. Have a look in the search function and you'll find a lot of explanations and advice. :)

Upvote 0
I was getting about 280 miles of range to 80% during the summer and did a 100% charge on 1st October, as I had read something about this being occasionally to balance the battery and it went to 326. So I’m quite happy with those figures and and fact that cold weather can affect things but the percentage loss I am getting on quite short runs still seems very high. My wife gets very bored and tells me not to worry when I complain to her about this so just trying to make sense of it by raising the question here!
Short journeys will always be less efficient when the outside temperature drops as a disproportionate amount of the energy the car consumes will go into heating the battery and interior.
Your wife is right (aren't they always!), unless you are relying on getting max range for your journey it's a non-issue.

Upvote 0
As mentioned above. More noticeable in an EV than in an ice. The range estimate is just that. Go by the percentage soc and the consumption that might be a better guide.
I have come to expect that of EVs in winter. This used to vex me initially too but it is now part of ev life. I suppose with time as the charging infrastructure improves I will be less ‘anxious’ about this.

Upvote 0
Let’s put it simple it’s winter and you will lose range, keep warm and the windows clear and wait for the summer to come back. Some people drive around with no heat on just heated seats if they have them moan about windows steaming up just to get the most out of a charge. Not worth it or the fine and points on a license.

Upvote 0
As above its because its colder. I clocked the miles per kwh has actually dropped quite a lot in just the last week, so this morning ( 9'sh) at 50% it was showing 116 miles (= 232 at 100%). Even just a week ago it was getting around 270 range (100% equivalent). Also we have only made very short local journeys so the battery has not had time to heat up and increase the efficiency.

Upvote 0
I make the same journey 4 days a week every week, and can confirm that winter range is definatly upon us now, the magic number seems to be at around 10°C... above that I get around 3.5 miles per kWh, below that I get around 2.6 Miles per kWh... around a 30 mile round trip, mostly motorway @70 mph... Yes I could eek more range by driving slower, or not having the heating / Aircon on, but I want to 'Drive' my car, not worry about range.. It can get refilled at home every night, so why worry as long as you have enough for the trip??

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I will always state my case against an ICE engine.

My Galaxy did:
45 mpg summer
40 mpg Autumn / Spring
35 mpg Winter. (Heater on full)

Petrol drivers never notice this.

Expect the same on a Long Range vehicle.
280 Summer
240 Autumn/ Spring
200 Winter
Anything above that is a bonus.

As explained by 'real world' drivers, drive your car in comfort. Get that heater on, it clears those 'fogs up every 5 seconds' windows and you are WARM.

Drove a Skoda Enyaq today. No fogging.
Godsend.

Upvote 0
I will always state my case against an ICE engine.

My Galaxy did:
45 mpg summer
40 mpg Autumn / Spring
35 mpg Winter. (Heater on full)

Petrol drivers never notice this.

Expect the same on a Long Range vehicle.
280 Summer
240 Autumn/ Spring
200 Winter
Anything above that is a bonus.

As explained by 'real world' drivers, drive your car in comfort. Get that heater on, it clears those 'fogs up every 5 seconds' windows and you are WARM.

Drove a Skoda Enyaq today. No fogging.
Godsend.
In an ICE car running the heater itself will not use any additional fuel (the heater circuit is fed off the water cooling circuit, which is running whether or not you draw heat) So is inconsequential in your MPG calculations (an ICE cars heating is technically always on.. you just shut the hot water feed off to the heater rad with the controls), however it does effect mileage in an EV, as the traction battery is supplying the electric heater elements directly, so reducing the mileage.

Upvote 0
We have a new 2023 standard range MG ZS EV Trophy. The MG advertising for range of this model says over 200 miles for most types of driving except motorway. It's approx 3 months old. I appreciate we are now in winter, but when we switch the car on after charging it to 100% the GOM predicts as low as 125 miles on many occasions! Which seems extremely low. Is that worth worrying about? When we first had the car in September I thougt I saw 180 miles predicted, which still seems a little low given the advertising. Is this just typical EV ownership paranoia or does anyone think there may be a genuine issue. Comments welcome, i.e. is it worth badgering the main stealer to investigate?

Also, we had a delivery chap catch the charging flap as he walked past the front of the car and snap it clean off. I haven't booked it in for repair, but I gather it will very labour cost heavy as the whole front bumper assembly has to come off to refit a replacement door. Has this happened to anyone else and how much did it cost them?

Upvote 0
Also, we had a delivery chap catch the charging flap as he walked past the front of the car and snap it clean off. I haven't booked it in for repair, but I gather it will very labour cost heavy as the whole front bumper assembly has to come off to refit a replacement door. Has this happened to anyone else and how much did it cost them?
The forum has another thread on broken charge flap doors on the ZS EV Gen2.
You are 100% correct, the front bumper cover does require removal to gain access to replace the broke hinge plate assembly.
You retain your body coloured door and switch it over onto the new assembly.
When one of the first owners enquired about replacing the hinge, the cost quoted was only about £35 I seem to remember.
But as the demand increased, the price of this item has dramatically increased in price with it !.
The part number has now been superseded and so has the price.
Pure guess work here, but I am thinking you are looking at a bill of around £400 - £500 at a main agents prices - sorry 😢.

Upvote 0
I think someone needs to come up with a cheaper solution! Two-part skelton gun epoxy glue comes to mind? Fortunately my Mk1 just has rubber bungs!

Upvote 0
I think someone needs to come up with a cheaper solution! Two-part skelton gun epoxy glue comes to mind? Fortunately my Mk1 just has rubber bungs!
Honestly, I think the old hinge could be repaired and strengthened fairly easily, the problem here is of course, is that the whole front bumper cover needs removal as access to conduct a string in situ repair is hard work.
The weather proofing ( bungs ) is not the issue, it’s the charge flap door / hinge itself.
When the door is open, and the car is on charge, it is very vulnerable to breakage if somebody crosses its path.
The hinge will travel backwards too beyond 90 degrees, but after this it hits its max limit of travel and therefore snaps off at the base of the hinge.
The back of the hinge is honey combed plastic, solid plastic would be much better.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom