MG4 : 1st Service : What to expect?

Hi everyone

I wanted to share and seek feedback on the quotations I've received for the first service of my MG4. It's been quite an eye-opener, and I'm curious to know if others have any recent updates.
  1. Spirit MG in Corby quoted me £165.96.
  2. Glyn Hopkin MG in Bedford came in at £186.00.
  3. A notably higher quote of £256.00 was given by Glyn Hopkin MG in Milton Keynes.
  4. However, it was Glyn Hopkin MG in St Albans that provided a range from £88.07 to £256.00.
The conversation with the representative at St Albans was particularly interesting. They explained that the £256 quote included a brake service, air-con service, and topping up all fluids. When I probed further, it turned out that the only fluid they'd check and top up was the windscreen washing fluid, which, according to them, is "free anyway".

Given that the car has only done 10,000 miles, I questioned the necessity of servicing the brakes and air-con at this stage. After some discussion, it was revealed that without these additional services, the cost would revert to £88.07. This significant difference, especially when the initial quote was on their own headed paper, really makes one wonder about the consistency and transparency of these quotes.

It seems there might be some confusion or perhaps a lack of standardisation in the pricing for MG4's first service. I'd greatly appreciate hearing your experiences or any advice you might have. Have any of you encountered similar discrepancies in service quotes for your MG4? Do these additional services seem justified to you at this early stage in the car's life?

Looking forward to your insights and shared experiences.
I would avoid Glyn Hopkin. I have only experienced very poor customer service and their 1st service costs vary tremendously between their branches, as you have demonstrated.

I would offer 2 alternatives:

1) Brown and Gammons in Baldock. £114 for the first service. Really knowledgable people and they only do MG, so they really know their stuff.

2) Go to the MG website and sign up for a service plan. That way you can’t be ripped off by the likes of Glynn Hopkin.

I hope that helps?

Last edited:
Hi everyone

I wanted to share and seek feedback on the quotations I've received for the first service of my MG4. It's been quite an eye-opener, and I'm curious to know if others have any recent updates.
  1. Spirit MG in Corby quoted me £165.96.
  2. Glyn Hopkin MG in Bedford came in at £186.00.
  3. A notably higher quote of £256.00 was given by Glyn Hopkin MG in Milton Keynes.
  4. However, it was Glyn Hopkin MG in St Albans that provided a range from £88.07 to £256.00.
The conversation with the representative at St Albans was particularly interesting. They explained that the £256 quote included a brake service, air-con service, and topping up all fluids. When I probed further, it turned out that the only fluid they'd check and top up was the windscreen washing fluid, which, according to them, is "free anyway".

Given that the car has only done 10,000 miles, I questioned the necessity of servicing the brakes and air-con at this stage. After some discussion, it was revealed that without these additional services, the cost would revert to £88.07. This significant difference, especially when the initial quote was on their own headed paper, really makes one wonder about the consistency and transparency of these quotes.

It seems there might be some confusion or perhaps a lack of standardisation in the pricing for MG4's first service. I'd greatly appreciate hearing your experiences or any advice you might have. Have any of you encountered similar discrepancies in service quotes for your MG4? Do these additional services seem justified to you at this early stage in the car's life?

Looking forward to your insights and shared experiences.
That is completely ridiculous.
As I have mentioned, my MG4 SESR was serviced on Monday by the MG main dealer North Bristol MG and the price for the service was £62.10. Admittedly the car has only done half your miles. MG UK fund any of the recall and necessary s/w updates. But everything you mentioned was carried out.
Feel free to use this.

Sounds like it's best to request the most basic service required under MG 1st Service guidance.

Someone posted up a copy of this a while ago (See post #32 on this thread -£88.07 for 10,000 mile service)
Thanks. Yes I used that information to negotiate with the lady at St Albans. Seems it’s always worth negotiating.

Another dealer came back and thought I would share the prices for everyone:

The Holden Group Norwich
1st Service : £88.07
2nd Service : £178.68
3rd Service : £88:07

Thanks to @psin for the suggestion of checking out MG's own service plan, here are the details:

Service Schedule​

• 4 Electric 15k/1 year Service £97.73
  • 4 Electric 30k/2 year Service £191.26
  • 4 Electric 45k/3 year Service £97.73

Monthly Schedule​

• 1 payment of £117.79
  • Followed by 12 payments of £19.98
  • Followed by 11 payments of £5.27
The monthly schedule totals £415.52, so this seems to include a £23.72 charge for the "benefit" of monthly payments. There wasn't an option to pay for each service as you go.

It's still significantly cheaper than my local dealer's prices, so I think we'll go for the MG service plan and select our local dealer.

It made me angry why I’m being charged £150 for nothing more than a visual check!! Taking a fxxking pee!!
I wouldn’t have minded too much if it needed an inspection every couple of years.

Tesla does not even require any servicing at all.
You are also getting another years recovery in that deal

Wow asked dealer today, what the cost of first service for this car and got quoted £340

This is what they will do
Only updates that may be published by MG should be done yes.

About NOK 4,500, including changing the cabin filter and brake service at the rear (with sandblasting of the block holders)

Sooo? - where is the cabin filter? - I was expecting this to be behind the glove box, but after a single screw removal & clips, its not clear where it is? - Can anyone help on the MG4?

I would avoid Glyn Hopkin. I have only experienced very poor customer service and their 1st service costs vary tremendously between their branches, as you have demonstrated.

I would offer 2 alternatives:

1) Brown and Gammons in Baldock. £114 for the first service. Really knowledgable people and they only do MG, so they really know their stuff.

2) Go to the MG website and sign up for a service plan. That way you can’t be ripped off by the likes of Glynn Hopkin.

I hope that helps?

I can agree with that. £198 for a first service at glyn hopkin Bedford. Like all their branches in the general area its cramped and has about 4 franchises.

Recently found out my boss knows the owner of Brown and Gammons and it seems to have a pub next door too. About an hour away but could be getting service there next.

Hopkin seemed to be going for every add on. Offered to take wheels off and clean them and brakes for £60. Wot?

Sooo? - where is the cabin filter? - I was expecting this to be behind the glove box, but after a single screw removal & clips, its not clear where it is? - Can anyone help on the MG4?

It's under the bonnet. Remove the decorative trim and you'll see the end cover for the filter held by plastic clips.
They're really brittle so might be an idea to heat them with a hair dryer or such or they'll probably snap....as I found out last winter.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back