Mg4 64kWh Battery Life

That's a really interesting talk. I would have to hear it again to be sure but I think the very long-life batteries he talks about are NMC but with different electrolytes compared to what we have in current vehicle batteries. If I am right that means the interest is in how vehicle batteries might be made better in the future (especially with vehicle-to-grid storage potential in mind) rather than the current differences between NMC and LFP.

I think the very long-life batteries he talks about are NMC but with different electrolytes compared to what we have in current vehicle batteries
Your right. You can think of it as a hybrid between LFP and NMC. It has an NMC electrode but it's has the electrolyte and salts of an LFP cell. Unfortunately the electrolyte mix means it is limited to lower voltage, like an LFP cell.

If I am right that means the interest is in how vehicle batteries might be made better in the future (especially with vehicle-to-grid storage potential in mind) rather than the current differences between NMC and LFP.
Correct again. If I'm understanding it correctly the main problems are that it means consumers paying NMC prices for LFP capacities and battery/car manufacturers willingness to sell batteries that last for so long. Imagine what it must be like when someone in a CATL meeting mentions that they could make a battery that lasts for 100 years instead of just the life of a car :LOL:

I did listen to it through, but as with so many of these lectures he's talking about NMC batteries. At the end he more or less says, well LFP are fine, don't worry about it. Which is similar to what Euan McTurk said.

I think, even for NMC batteries, there's a compromise between obsessively molly-coddling your battery and just getting out there and going where you want to go.

I wish they would make it clearer which type of lithium-ion battery they're talking about. Presumably NMC and similar, not LFP, but LFP batteries are also lithium-ion.

And in 10 years, you’ll be able to get a new battery installed cheaply with less weight,quicker charging and more range… we may even have OTA decent software by then 😇
As a former owner of the original, I can tell you that’s a pipe dream. It’s more than a decade, and despite the many still very good condition Leafs on the roads with old, small capacity batteries, but soldi chassises……. there is NO Nissan program to renovate these vehicles with new modern high capacity batteries. None.

But doing so would not only be financially sensible for users, it would be the best from an environmental and sustainability perspective.

The car industry will never do this. They want to sell you new cars and they will pay the politicians to make sure they don't have to provide official refurbishing that is approved and insurable.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back