MG4 7 year warranty?

First time I’ve seen the likes of wipers mentioned in a warranty.
Who the hell is so tight and blessed with time that they would consider going to the dealer for a claim for bloody wipers!?!?
Well, I mentioned that they are smearing when I brought the car in for several issues to rectify. They replaced them for free, even if I'd paid for them. The replacement ones are also crap, sadly, so I will buy a proper brand now.

I wonder if any batteries will need to be replaced in the 6th or 7th year?
They use LFP cells in the MG4 SE ( not in the long range or trophy ) , these have been proven to be capable of double the charge cycles compared to other battery chemistry used in high voltage batteries. LFP cells are also safer and can be charged to 100% regularly without any detriment to there life.

Tesla use LFP cells for there standard range cars too.

Basically every manufacturer should be using LFP cells, the only disadvantage is they take up more space compared to a “normal” cell.

They use LFP cells in the MG4 SE ( not in the long range or trophy ) , these have been proven to be capable of double the charge cycles compared to other battery chemistry used in high voltage batteries. LFP cells are also safer and can be charged to 100% regularly without any detriment to there life.

Basically every manufacturer should be using LFP cells, the only disadvantage is they take up more space compared to a “normal” cell.
The unfortunate thing is to get the range that they require for longer range models LFP batteries dont get used.
Tesla standard range cars have decent range, especially with the heat pumps fitted, but they still don't use LFP on longer range cars due to the size and weight.

I think over the next few years, the way things are progressing, we will see a technology/chemistry emerge that's lighter and smaller that is capable of the longer ranges required and also to be regularly charged to 100% charge without issues.

I recall reading that great progress is being made with Sodium-based batteries.
I thought so as well until I read various articles putting it under a dark cloud on actual real life EV usage. Solid state was the other potential candidate but cost implications are holding that back for the broader market it would seem

For example

So the standard cheaper option is better than the more expensive options then?

So the standard cheaper option is better than the more expensive options then?
It not quite so simple at the moment...LFP does almost everything better than L-ion. But when it comes to longer/extended range v weight L-ion with all its flaws seems to be the current winner in terms of satisfying current LR expectations from both the motor industry and customers. Tomorrow 🤷‍♂️

Getting ahead of yourself a bit....most batteries will go well past the guarantee period or tbh they would not guarantee them that long in the first place
Depends what you are talking about! I’m not talking about them not working entirely

I’m talking about the battery percentage am holding charge

Most batteries in phones these days still work a little bit after 7 years but have lost most of their capacity but they never have guaranteed batteries for 7 years

Warranty states below 70% charging capability left before warranty claim kicks in. As stated they would not quote 70 % capability unless they knew it was very unlikely to drop down to or below it in seven years

Last edited:
Warranty states below 70% charging capability still left before warranty claim kicks in. As stated they would not guarantee that level % remaining unless they knew it was very unlikely
Oh thanks 70% after 7 years it will be interesting to see what they will do if some are under that in 2030.

If you look after your batteries and only trickle charge it, but if you often use rapid charge that can shorten the life

I honestly don't know about longer term effects of overuse of DC charging...and I still think that even some experts are still unsure but certainly don't recommend it!! Perhaps erring on the side of caution is best when we have the option.
It's all down to how temperature affects the battery chemical composition. DC creates more heat which can cause more rapid battery degradation. Some say really low trickle charging may also not be too healthy🤷‍♂️.
For the majority of us standard AC charging is fine and not too detrimental, and given the same majority are not hurtling up and down the motorways every day using DC rapid charging then all should be just fine...I suspect the car may collapse around a healthy battery first in some instances😁

Last edited:
This is a good question which is better option for battery life.

Anyway if you can get a entire new battery in the 7th year if it’s dropped under 70%

Maybe you are better off charging the most detrimental way😁

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel