MG4 7 year warranty?

This is the best way to measure health

You can’t have an unhealthy battery that still gives you the same range as when it was new
The range is a guess based on recent conditions put into an algorithm, there could be any number of variables why the range is showing lower. I would not take this a snapshot of my batteries health.

I meant actual range not the GOM.
Absolutely but just looking at your GOM after full charges was what I meant, and your actually range you get can still obviously be impacted by quite a few variables

Absolutely but just looking at your GOM after full charges was what I meant, and your actually range you get can still obviously be impacted by quite a few variables
Yes, agreed. I do wonder though if these percentages are accurate either: are they measured or calculated? Even if MG supply them, is that number accurate and mature?

The range is a guess based on recent conditions put into an algorithm, there could be any number of variables why the range is showing lower. I would not take this a snapshot of my batteries health.
It’s best to compare actual miles you get from a full charge not what the dashboard tells you

I know how many miles I’m getting from a full charge and I will compare it towards the end of the 7 years.

If it’s less than 70% range of what I’m getting now then the warranty should cover that?

Only if it comes up on the diagnostics that it's less than 70% otherwise they will tell you no chance

Read about car batteries.....the average degredation a year is 2.3%. The batteries now are designed to last 20yrs, if they designed them to last 7 years they know they would be constantly fixing cars and. It making new ones. Look at BYD, the batteries in them are made in Shanghai by one of the worlds largest battery makers that Tesla now use. Only ppl that should be a little concerned are the 3rd or 4th owners getting to 7years plus and not because battery fail but because if it does no warranty and expensive fix. Unlike ICE I don't see second hand EV market being as profitable

Read about car batteries.....the average degredation a year is 2.3%. The batteries now are designed to last 20yrs, if they designed them to last 7 years they know they would be constantly fixing cars and. It making new ones. Look at BYD, the batteries in them are made in Shanghai by one of the worlds largest battery makers that Tesla now use. Only ppl that should be a little concerned are the 3rd or 4th owners getting to 7years plus and not because battery fail but because if it does no warranty and expensive fix. Unlike ICE I don't see second hand EV market being as profitable
This is why I chose to buy new. Yes the second hand EV market will be different to ICE market going forward.

So if the batteries are designed to last 20yrs what will happen towards the end of the life? Will the range go right down and will it happen gradually?

Well if battery's degrade at average of 2.3 % a year that's 43yrs before the batteries are fried to a mileage of 1mile or less!! The MSP of the mg4 has been designed so that in future batteries could be swapped out and take less than a minute to swap to a brand new pack tech is changing all time in 3-4yrs when you get rid of the mg4 the new version will probably do 400miles on full charge

We have a Nissan leaf at work from 2017 that was promoted as the company going green new its range was 107, 6 years on it manages about 60 miles or so but it's been hammered by use 24hrs a day with exception of the charging rest period. That's battery tech designed from at least 9yrs ago, the new mg has features others don't like liquid cooled or heated batteries

Well if battery's degrade at average of 2.3 % a year that's 43yrs before the batteries are fried to a mileage of 1mile or less!! The MSP of the mg4 has been designed so that in future batteries could be swapped out and take less than a minute to swap to a brand new pack tech is changing all time in 3-4yrs when you get rid of the mg4 the new version will probably do 400miles on full charge
Where's the evidence that battery tech is changing so quickly? The MG4 pack size and range is little different to that of the 2019 e Niro.

Where's the evidence that battery tech is changing so quickly? The MG4 pack size and range is little different to that of the 2019 e Niro.
Pack size and range maybe but internals are different liquid cooled, I'm no engineer but quick search and this alone improves efficiency. Components get better and smaller in quality all the time the mg4 has one of thinnest batteries on market, the byd uses BLADE batteries tech is improving

Attachments

• IMG_8083.jpeg
    IMG_8083.jpeg
    237.2 KB · Views: 41
We have a Nissan leaf at work from 2017 that was promoted as the company going green new its range was 107, 6 years on it manages about 60 miles or so but it's been hammered by use 24hrs a day with exception of the charging rest period. That's battery tech designed from at least 9yrs ago, the new mg has features others don't like liquid cooled or heated batteries
Yes, the Leaf lacks thermal battery management - and still it is a great car and lasts for years before the shorter range becomes a problem.

Thermally managed batteries do far better, and that's basically everything on the new market now. There's no need to worry even if you are a taxi driver, the battery will outlast the car.

The main point of the 70% warranty is for those few people who get a faulty battery.

The graphs are very clear, costs are progressively tumbling as range and longevity improve. There's a ton of evidence out there if you look for it.

Within a few years, range is basically going to be irrelevant because it will be more than long enough for everyone even on the cheapest car - the only debate is when this will happen, not whether.

The graphs are very clear, costs are progressively tumbling as range and longevity improve. There's a ton of evidence out there if you look for it.

Within a few years, range is basically going to be irrelevant because it will be more than long enough for everyone even on the cheapest car - the only debate is when this will happen, not whether.
I didn't doubt this would happen. It's the timescale I was disputing. Current production models will be around for at least ten years. That's the basic economics of production and return on investment. A step change in battery tech will come from solid state batteries. There isn't even a prototype solid state battery EV yet. We must be a decade away yet from routinely seeing these in a new generation of EVs. Nissan is suggesting 2028 for its first solid state EV but not to immediately replace all its lithium ion EVs. They say it would require a new vehicle architecture. In the meantime, we'll no doubt see incremental improvements in lithium ion technology. Personally, I expect improvements in battery technology to reduce the cost of EVs rather than lead to EVs with a greater range. Solid state batteries will apparently charge even faster, so mass market cars will probably have even less need than they do today to have a range of more than 200 miles.

I think it was a large enough leap this year with the MG4 SR for this price

The old EVs like the leaf doing about 90 miles were ok for short distances

I wouldn’t spend that much on such a short range car

But now the MG4 feels like a proper car for a realistic price

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member