MG4 Air-con & Under tray update

Indeed, it baffles me how a production line can omit and allow such things as these (warped under-tray & air-con). It seems to imply zero QC and a 'push em out whatever' approach in the factory. MG 'should' be seriously concerned with the potential brand impact of these things and not just sit there playing the Ostrich after spouting words to the effect "They all sound like that sir, a characteristic of the car".
It was the same as @bowfer and a few others SE's being fitted with Trophy rear view mirrors, probably just grabbed any mirror and fitted it

@PristDean was your AC actually cooling at all then with no gas in ?
Mine's not noisy unless it's working hard, but it is extremely efficient at cooling so it must have some gas in.
You have me wondering now if it should be silent and it may be underfilled or just have not enough oil in.
Please keep us informed on how much noise, if any, it makes when you get it back fixed.

@PristDean was your AC actually cooling at all then with no gas in ?
Mine's not noisy unless it's working hard, but it is extremely efficient at cooling so it must have some gas in.
You have me wondering now if it should be silent and it may be underfilled or just have not enough oil in.
Please keep us informed on how much noise, if any, it makes when you get it back fixed.
Hi, it did blow what I would describe as 'cool'air, but not ice cold air. That indicated there is gas within but obviously no lubrication for the pump in my case.
Mine was noisy at whatever level I ran it at.
If yours is quiet for the most part, that indicates a degree of lubrication, but as you suspect, how much?. However for peace of mind, you may want to get it re-gassed.

I think it's worth clarifying that there is refrigerant (gas) and lubricant (oil) in the AC system, there seems to be a bit of mixing the two up

Hi, it did blow what I would describe as 'cool'air, but not ice cold air. That indicated there is gas within but obviously no lubrication for the pump in my case.
Mine was noisy at whatever level I ran it at.
If yours is quiet for the most part, that indicates a degree of lubrication, but as you suspect, how much?. However for peace of mind, you may want to get it re-gassed.
It doesn't seem to be any noisier than ZS I had or the Prius I had before that, but I'll put it on my list of "things for them to do" on the first service, which I'll book a little early in case any of the "things" are only covered for 12 months.

It doesn't seem to be any noisier than ZS I had or the Prius I had before that, but I'll put it on my list of "things for them to do" on the first service, which I'll book a little early in case any of the "things" are only covered for 12 months.
Warranty: Air-con regass is covered by 7500 miles or 6 months. The pump is not mentioned specifically so will be under the 7 year cover.

So in my case, regass covered, but no oil caused the knock-on issue with the pump.

Your too old for foam parties, it's not Ibiza
This is what it looked like in my dealership when they emptied my car's system of the gas:

Screenshot 2023-09-06 19.50.08.png

Wonder if we should all get a regas just to be sure? But would we trust MG to do it….

Wonder if we should all get a regas just to be sure? But would we trust MG to do it….
Air-con regass is covered by 7500 miles or 6 months. So if within that and you have the noise, get MG to do it under warranty.
If outside of the above and you have the noise, get an independent to do it.

Air-con regass is covered by 7500 miles or 6 months. So if within that and you have the noise, get MG to do it under warranty.
If outside of the above and you have the noise, get an independent to do it.
Trouble is MG won’t touch the it, as in there eyes it’s normal.

Well show them this thread, my MG dealership in Gloucester is doing the work under warranty... so you should ask them... why won't they ?
Pretty Much the crux of the problem with MG, some do some don't!

Great if you get a good car/good dealer

Unfortunate but will hopefully get sorted, if you get and iffy car/good dealer.

Crap if you get the ultimate combo iffy car/ iffy dealer

Pretty Much the crux of the problem with MG, some do some don't!

Great if you get a good car/good dealer

Unfortunate but will hopefully get sorted, if you get and iffy car/good dealer.

Crap if you get the ultimate combo iffy car/ iffy dealer
When I asked mine they said it sounded normal.

May just get my local garage to do it so I’m safe.

What is the gas type needed and does it include the oil?

Well show them this thread, my MG dealership in Gloucester is doing the work under warranty... so you should ask them... why won't they ?
This was the ”Smart“ reply I got from MG customer care when I mentioned the forum:

“As I did advise in my original email, we choose not to read or respond on independent forums and we will only deal with enquiries reported through an MG dealership. Again, this is why it is important that the dealership report each and every case when required. So for example, you ae stating that there are 729 comments on an independent forum, however, as of Friday 21st October, when the bulletin was released to the dealership, less than 50 cases had actually been reported to MG by the dealer network.
Independent forums are a minefield for miss communication, Chinese Whispers, breaches of GDPR and non MG owners becoming involved who may be unhappy with the badge/brand as a whole.”

Last edited:
To be fair, that's probably the most reasonable and coherent response ever attributed to him. :)
Any sensible CS bod would've replied with "An owner's forum? We'll sign ourselves up for an account there to respond to any problems directly".

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back