MG4 - Am I right in thinking this could be the right fit for me?

yamagoody

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hey, I have been thinking about this question for a good 6 months now, doing research, talking to dealerships and checking out forums. I am however still not 100% sure the MG4 Trophy or indeed any EV will work for me.

My dilemma is that I do a long commute 5 days a week of about 95 miles there and back. I live fairly centrally in London, Camden to be precise and I commute to near Stansted. The journey basically breaks down into 4 sections. Section one is about 8 miles (20mins) of fully urban driving, 20mph with lots of stop-start action. Section 2 is about 10 miles (15-20mins sometimes up to 50mins) of faster urban road, between 30-50mph still with some stop-start. Section 3 is motorway, about 15 miles (15-20mins) normally free flowing. The last section is a normal rural road about 12 miles (again 20mins) winding through several villages so between 30 and 50mph.

On the plus side, I can use a 7kwh charger at work for about 4 hours a day and there are several 22kwh chargers close to where I live as home charging is not possible. Dealers say they don't see any problem but I decided that asking those who have experience of the MG, in fact any EV, what they think. My main concerns are whether this is realistic at a practical level, what differences I should expect to experience between winter and summer commutes, and whether this can work economically.

I like the idea of reducing my 'footprint' and the tax saving in benefit in kind vs petrol is still attractive. I like the look of the MG4 but would I be taking on more hassle than it's worth? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...

The only reason for leccy prices to remain high is because Ofgem insisted the companies hedge on gas and electricity hence the prices will remain high until that has worked through. Gas futures are now 3.5p a kWh and the mark up for the retail price has only been 2p or thereabouts in the past. If the CCGT generators are paying about that then electricity from gas should be costing ~ 8-9p a kWh. Hence the dramatic fall on the day ahead price. The business tariffs may drop more quickly so that public chargers should be paying around 12-15p for their power which should should bring their pricing down to about 40p again.
Yes, in their slow acting they failed to cushion the rise enough and then managed to delay the fall for the maximum pain for customers.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back