MG4 Charging port lights stopped working

WXman

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi all. My charging port lights have stopped working when I plug in to charge at home, I was wondering if anyone else has also had this issue?

Not the biggest problem, I'm absolutely loving the MG4!

What’s your level of charge. The lights go on and off depending on the charge level. Each one is about 25% so if you are under 25 they would all be off and may come back on as you charge. Unless they are really not working.

What’s your level of charge. The lights go on and off depending on the charge level. Each one is about 25% so if you are under 25 they would all be off and may come back on as you charge. Unless they are really not working.
They have worked before as you describe, but I have no green or blue lights now. Recent charges have gone from 30-50ish% to 100% fully charged (standard range MG4)...

Just for info, I seem to have fixed this. I got to the passenger fuse box to inspect the fuse associated with the charge port lights. As it looked ok and my spare fuses were in my wife's car that was away from home, I put the same fuse back in, powered up the car on the off chance that the lights were working - bit surprised to see they were working again!

All a bit weird!

Just for info, I seem to have fixed this. I got to the passenger fuse box to inspect the fuse associated with the charge port lights. As it looked ok and my spare fuses were in my wife's car that was away from home, I put the same fuse back in, powered up the car on the off chance that the lights were working - bit surprised to see they were working again!

All a bit weird!
Maybe it just wasn't firmly in place?

All a bit weird!
Which fuse was it if you don't mind me asking as this has happened to me this morning, charge port illuminated as expected for 42% charge, and EV charger rebooted and now the charge port has no lights but is charging.

Hoping it's just the fuse that's either popped or needs reseating.

From the owner's manual, it's the F9 5amp fuse in the driver side fuse box. It was a little daunting accessing the fuses via the side panel of the dash with the driver's door open. When I got to the fuse, it was very firmly in position - took quite a pull with long-nose pliers to remove it. As I didn't have a replacement to hand, I put the same fuse back in, and the charge port lights have worked ever since! I've attached the owner manual page, I think the fuse board map was orientated differently from memory - you might need to rotate the image - you'll see what I mean when you get in there!

Hope that helps and fixes this glitch for you, Good luck!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230208-104216.png
    Screenshot_20230208-104216.png
    419.4 KB · Views: 540
From the owner's manual, it's the F9 5amp fuse in the driver side fuse box. It was a little daunting accessing the fuses via the side panel of the dash with the driver's door open. When I got to the fuse, it was very firmly in position - took quite a pull with long-nose pliers to remove it. As I didn't have a replacement to hand, I put the same fuse back in, and the charge port lights have worked ever since! I've attached the owner manual page, I think the fuse board map was orientated differently from memory - you might need to rotate the image - you'll see what I mean when you get in there!

Leaving the car locked for half-hour seems to have fixed it 😂😂

Hi WXman before you got the port lights working again on the MG4, would the car still charge while the lights where not working.
Reason I ask is I would love not have them lights on while it’s charging they are far to bright in my book my new MG5 Trophy the face lifted one just has 4 small lights near on one side of the charge port they are fine, the the wife’s 4 lights up the street when it’s on charge so if it will charge when the are no lights working I’m going to pull that fuse, thanks in advance.
Les

Based on your fix and #5 fix I wonder if the act of removal and reinsertion is enough to reset the unit🤔.....or it is a dodgy connection...

Based on your fix and #5 fix I wonder if the act of removal and reinsertion is enough to reset the unit🤔.....or it is a dodgy connection...
I've not had this problem reoccur since accidentally fixing it! I can report the fuse was a bugger to pull out so perhaps not a dodgy connection. I guess it's more like the classic IT fix of turning it off and on again...

When I pulled the fuse it seemed oxidised and I just used a screwdriver to scrape the metal prongs. I put it back in and lights were instantly working. Just a poor contact surface on cheap fuses.

Thanks for describing the fix. Out of interest, would something like this not be covered under warranty?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 499 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back