MG4 Charging port lights stopped working

Hi WXman before you got the port lights working again on the MG4, would the car still charge while the lights where not working.
Reason I ask is I would love not have them lights on while it’s charging they are far to bright in my book my new MG5 Trophy the face lifted one just has 4 small lights near on one side of the charge port they are fine, the the wife’s 4 lights up the street when it’s on charge so if it will charge when the are no lights working I’m going to pull that fuse, thanks in advance.
Les
S92b05d82a10a44a89f6ae80b1c36ab25D.jpg

This solutions helps to kill the bright LED's without removing the fuse F9 and also protect against rain and snow. It is simple and cheap with a magnetic connection to the car body.

Another me too. On Friday I was using some spare solar, no light but charging. Yesterday plugged it in without the car going anywhere but lights working.

View attachment 19298
This solutions helps to kill the bright LED's without removing the fuse F9 and also protect against rain and snow. It is simple and cheap with a magnetic connection to the car body.
Thank you for the suggestion I had seen this very cover on Toms man shed in a video he put out a couple of months ago
Les

Hi all. My charging port lights have stopped working when I plug in to charge at home, I was wondering if anyone else has also had this issue?

Not the biggest problem, I'm absolutely loving the MG4!
Hi, I've noticed that usually (even this evening), that if I plug in while the car is still in ready-mode, the charging lights stay off, even if I then lock the car. If my car is locked and then I plug in, then the lights go green (as they should do). Can't explain the vagaries of the MG4 as it doesn't always follow this routine either. (I blame the wife - she's Chinese!)

This has happened to me too - lights stopped working around the charge point but it is still charging just fine.

Did anyone find an easier way to reboot than removing the fuse and reinstalling?

This has happened to me too - lights stopped working around the charge point but it is still charging just fine.

Did anyone find an easier way to reboot than removing the fuse and reinstalling?

Try one thing for me please, remove the negative terminal on battery, wait a few minutes and then put back on. This will confirm if the fuse removal / replace is actually necessary !

... but it'll mean you need to do a calibration of various functions (like steering wheel fully left/right; windows fully down/up, etc.) :)

Mine has done this a couple of times. Charged fine but with no lights . The only thing I could put it down to was me being slow at inserting the plug. I usually shut the car down before getting out , then open the charge port , insert the plug then lock the car. If I delay inserting the plug but with the charge port open then the lights can go out but you can hear it connect and charging starts. Haven't worked out whether it's repeatable every time but it has done it a couple of times. Then again maybe it just another MG4 characteristic.

If there's a way to reproduce it on demand, that could be useful to the members who don't want these lights showing while they're charging.
It’s a good question Rolfe and simlar to what I commented on early in the thread #14 I hope there may be some way to keep the charging lights off far to bright for me but as yet had no feed back
Les

If there's a way to reproduce it on demand, that could be useful to the members who don't want these lights showing while they're charging.
I will try at my next charge to see if I can replicate the scenario which turns off the lights. I should add that I use a dumb charger which starts charging when plugged in so wouldn't know what would happen on a scheduled charge.

Try one thing for me please, remove the negative terminal on battery, wait a few minutes and then put back on. This will confirm if the fuse removal / replace is actually necessary !
I am happy to do this but it will have to wait a bit as my other half is using the car in the hours of daylight most of this week - but I will have a go and report back.
All for the greater good of finding out whether a fuse activity is required :)
Indeed.

So I tried to replicate the charge lights not working and I can't. It seems to be yet another random "characteristic" of the enigma that is the MG4.
The lights in the charging port of my MG4 stopped working soon after I got the car. It didn’t appear to affect any functionality of the car so I just left it and asked the dealership to sort it out during its first service which was in September. The dealership had a replacement part ready but were unable to replace as they were not able to gain access to the part of the car required as they needed a “special tool” that MG would only lend them?? However in the process of messing about with the car, the charge ports now work again…… I guess a happy ending (so far) but no-one is any the wiser. The dealership suspects a loose wire somewhere which was rectified during the attempts to remove the charge port!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 528 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back