Mg4 Charging - Zappi 5.3kW only

Sajymundo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Question for anyone with a zappi charger - had it installed a few weeks back and only getting 5.3kW rather than 7kW. Contacted Myenergi for support and all settings are correct on the charger, question is has anyone managed to get MG4 to charge at a higher rate using a Zappi home charger?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, what does it charge at on a destination EVSE?
How are you seeing 5.3kW?
When did you last update the Zappi and have you got load monitoring?

So updated firmware on zappi 2 days ago and via the myenergi app I can see max rate of 5.3kW.

Rapid chargers are fine, managed to get 130kW on an Ionity charger last week.

Tried fast mode and eco++ but there seems to be something stopping it getting any faster. I have tried changing the ac settings while charging, no difference.

Rapid charger/130KW is on a DC charge.
You need to try using an AC charger. Assuming you have a MY23/single phase port, the max you will be able to get from any AC charger is 7KW*. Try using a local AC charger, probably one rated at 22KW.

*Due to losses, you will never see 7KW into the car on a home charger. They'll top out around 6.4KW, as there are losses due to cable quality and overheads. 7KW is the theoretical maximum in perfect conditions.

You will also only get the maximum if you don't have much else running in the house at the time of charging. If you have the oven/electric shower on, the charge going to the car should drop.

It might also depend on the cabling in the house/to the charger.

Again, you first port of call should be to use an AC charger somewhere else, and see if you're getting around 6.4KW, as per the car's onboard charge monitor.

It's unlikely to be the car itself, and far more likely to be either the charger set to a lower rating, cabling to the charger, or overall availability of electricity to the charger.

My Zappi always charges at 7.1 - 7.2, until it gets close to the end of charge, at which time it drops to 5.4 then something like 0.2 until completion

Remember the wallboxes are not chargers, thats a unit onboard the car. The wallbox only switches the supply on and off to the vehicles charger, they do sometimes have load monitoring where they can ask the onboard charger to take less current. If this function is not active on this Zappi, the reduced current will be caused by low voltage or faulty charger.

Do you have an immersion heater or storage heaters running at the same time? The Zappi should have a CT clamp attached to your home's power supply and it will reduce the power to the car if necessary to stop your supply being overloaded.

Not changed a single setting and randomly last night it changed at around 7kw (26kw in under 4 hours)

Now the only thing I can possibly think off is that the Harvi we had installed was having connectivity issues and since changing it's location, it's now worked.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231026_083335_myenergi.jpg
    Screenshot_20231026_083335_myenergi.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 44

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member