MG4 doesn't save driving mode!?

Has this been solved with a software update yet? Currently awaiting delivery of my MG4 and hoping it gets fixed before then. It must be very frustrating to change ever time?

Has this been solved with a software update yet? Currently awaiting delivery of my MG4 and hoping it gets fixed before then. It must be very frustrating to change ever time?
Our MG ZS EV MK1 defaults to normal mode and regen 3 on every startup so assume this is MGs default on every car.

Damn annoying, should be saved as part of your custom setup IMO. What I'd really like as an option on the left star button is 'one press' car shutdown so you can remain seated in it without faffing around on the screen to power down.

Annoyingly, I don't think this will be resolved in a software update. I'm sure I read somewhere it was to do with safety/NCAP in that it will always start with the 'considered' safest configuration which is the default

Our MG ZS EV MK1 defaults to normal mode and regen 3 on every startup so assume this is MGs default on every car.
True, but on the ZS you can use physical buttons to change drive mode and regen level. It is harder to do this via the screen while driving.
Annoyingly, I don't think this will be resolved in a software update. I'm sure I read somewhere it was to do with safety/NCAP in that it will always start with the 'considered' safest configuration which is the default
There is a case that 'safety' or 'driver assistance' features should be turned on by default, but not driving mode or regen level where no state is intrinsically superior to another,

Well I have to agree with regard to the MG4 it was said many times before it landed that it would keep the settings that where in there from the last time you drove it but it doesn’t, you need to go into the screen every time pain in the arse. And I think could be down right dangerous trying to adjust things on the move IMHO.

In the MG5 it’s not quite so bad just a flick of a switch for drive mode or Regen level job done but the facelift one Has it’s heating and a/c as the 4.in the screen a good move I don’t think so.

When my wife got her MG4 a few weeks back I explained to her how to put the car into Eco mode before she starts off to help keep it as economic to drive as possible and guess what she's does it every time she’s gets into it now, even tells me when I drive her car not to forget to put it in the Eco mode before we start off unbelievable.

So now that’s cracked just got to find away to get her to turn things off in the the house she certainly knows how to switch everything on but I feel that might be a more difficult task some how.
Les.

Last edited:
Yes I think I saw that as well. I heard some other cars get around this by profile selection at start. So whilstbit will default to the normal modes it has been configured to for safety/NCAP. You can choose profile easily which your settings are retained in.

Yes I think I saw that as well. I heard some other cars get around this by profile selection at start. So whilstbit will default to the normal modes it has been configured to for safety/NCAP. You can choose profile easily which your settings are retained in.
How please
Les.

I had a peculiar occurrence the other day where I’d selected adaptive regen and switched off traffic sign recognition.
I stopped the car, came back abs noticed on the drive home no speed signs.
Sure enough, it had remembered my settings from the previous journey.
Hallelujah, I though!
It was a weird one off, I’m sad to report 😔

Am I right that if you assign the drive modes to the star button that you can't toggle regen without using the control panel? You have to pick one?
Yes, it was also confirmed on the later November 21st Podcast (at 30:20) by Miles, amidst the MG4 Software Update discussion, that these settings do not save. It was expected that they would at the press launch but that's not on cars as they are currently shipping.

Yes, it was also confirmed on the later November 21st Podcast (at 30:20) by Miles, amidst the MG4 Software Update discussion, that these settings do not save. It was expected that they would at the press launch but that's not on cars as they are currently shipping.

Richardb 70 and Barry I think that’s only on the Trophy model but not SE I think mate.
Les

It is WLTP testing that requires that cars do not restart in a non normal mode. It is supposed to defeat manufacturers from having special one-of modes that give false expectations of range.

This does not stop custom settings from persisting (if this is happening that’s an MG bug) but it does stop the previously selected driving mode being active on the next drive.

There is also a safety argument that the next driver may be someone new to the car and should not be surprised by any strange or extreme settings selected, such as disabling TC or similar. Safety features have to default on as per NCAP rules.

It is WLTP testing that requires that cars do not restart in a non normal mode. It is supposed to defeat manufacturers from having special one-of modes that give false expectations of range.

This does not stop custom settings from persisting (if this is happening that’s an MG bug) but it does stop the previously selected driving mode being active on the next drive.

There is also a safety argument that the next driver may be someone new to the car and should not be surprised by any strange or extreme settings selected, such as disabling TC or similar. Safety features have to default on as per NCAP rules.
I'm currently driving a Zoe that remembers the Eco drive mode. I have to press to switch it off when I want a bit more oomph. You can either have Eco switched on or off and it remains for your next start.

I'm currently driving a Zoe that remembers the Eco drive mode. I have to press to switch it off when I want a bit more oomph. You can either have Eco switched on or off and it remains for your next start.
Ok, understood. I may be wrong about that then, but I am sure I had read something about it in the recent rules.

What age is the Zoe? The rules may have been different when it was released.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 522 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back