edsxp

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi all, I have been using my 51 kWh MG4 EV Magnify iSmart (I guess the Trophy Standard Range in many countries) for 2 weeks and 1200km in Indonesia and have been loving it so far. I just have several issues, starting with the range.

I believe in the UK the rated WLTP is at 218 miles, which is about 348 km, let's just say it is 350 km. In Indonesia, it is advertised as 425 km, but for the past 2 weeks, combining the remaining range and the distance travelled, it can only achieve about 320 km - 340 km. I live in Jakarta, where the traffic is abysmal, so I can only achieve about 22 km/h (13,75 mph) on average, or 25 km/h (15,625 mph) on a good day. Is the range just due to the bad driving average? Of course, I need to use AC as the weather has been very hot these past months, so I was wondering if the range is not accommodating for the AC as well.

I also have a question about the regen braking. Mine can only start after the battery drops below 48%, so above 48%, the car just coasts if I depress the gas pedal. Is that normal or is there any problem with my car?

Any response is highly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Note on picture: the remaining range is still in miles even though it says km, I haven't got the time to update the software. It totals for about 321 km.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-10-22 at 21.44.44_abe539b1.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-22 at 21.44.44_abe539b1.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 130
I have the 51kWh version, and I came to the conclusion to not use ACC when I try to achieve high efficiency. The PID on the MG4 cruise control is absolutely rubbish. What I mean, it is making very aggressive deceleration and acceleration, regardless what distance/sensitivity you set. As someone already mentioned above, that is not good for efficiency. It is not so obvious on longer trips, but my daily commute (about 15km one way) is a good example. Using ACC as much I can gives me a 13.5 kWh/100km consumption. Without ACC, same route, same conditions only 9.9kWh/100km.
Regeneration is set to A, as that is the most economical setting in my opinion.
I decided to get the smallest battery, because I'm using the car mainly in town, short trips. It is 100kg lighter than the 64kWh version. Having a slight inconvenience on longer trips, isn't an issue for me.

I completely agree with you. I find the ACC jerky and uneven, and I feel that I can drive much more smoothly myself. I think its main use is for speed limitation on the motorway, and similarly for keeping to the speed limit in the villages where it's 20 mph. I'm not that impressed with its "follow my leader" performance, on A roads, although again on the motorway it comes in handy.

I agree about the battery. It's exactly what you need if you aren't driving long distances daily, and it's absolutely capable of longer trips so long as you're not in too much of a hurry. I took mine on a 450-mile road trip in August and had no problems at all.

During the summer, the range was about 250 miles/400km according to the GOM. But now it is getting colder, that figure is closer to 200 miles/320 km.
Summer miles/kwh was was typically 4.4. But it has now dropped to 4.0.
I've definitely noticed a big drop now we're in colder weather. I seem to get 3mi/kwh and the GOM says about 200miles max. Definitely a shocking drop and we're not even that cold yet. A bit worrying!

I drive with ACC a lot though. But drove 70 miles at 11pm the other night, no one else on the roads, and the GOM dropped a lot quicker than I was happy with. Left 55%, drove 70miles and arrived with 15% left. Maybe this is worth another thread instead of derailing this one...

I completely agree with you. I find the ACC jerky and uneven, and I feel that I can drive much more smoothly myself. I think its main use is for speed limitation on the motorway, and similarly for keeping to the speed limit in the villages where it's 20 mph. I'm not that impressed with its "follow my leader" performance, on A roads, although again on the motorway it comes in handy.

I agree about the battery. It's exactly what you need if you aren't driving long distances daily, and it's absolutely capable of longer trips so long as you're not in too much of a hurry. I took mine on a 450-mile road trip in August and had no problems at all.
The way I use TJA is to relax on long journeys. I seldom accelerate past slower traffic, I set the speed limit to 60, and the only thing I play with is the distance from the car in front based on traffic flow and time of day.
I do set Adaptive regen and Eco power in an attempt to reduce its jerkiness.
In terms of economy I guess I could squeeze a .1 or .2 miles to to the kWh more, but then I’d be more tired.

I have the 51kWh version, and I came to the conclusion to not use ACC when I try to achieve high efficiency. The PID on the MG4 cruise control is absolutely rubbish. What I mean, it is making very aggressive deceleration and acceleration, regardless what distance/sensitivity you set. As someone already mentioned above, that is not good for efficiency. It is not so obvious on longer trips, but my daily commute (about 15km one way) is a good example. Using ACC as much I can gives me a 13.5 kWh/100km consumption. Without ACC, same route, same conditions only 9.9kWh/100km.
I decided to get the smallest battery, because I'm using the car mainly in town, short trips. It is 100kg lighter than the 64kWh version. Having a slight inconvenience on longer trips, isn't an issue for me.
One more fact to add, I have completely gave up changing driving mode, due to the awkward way to change it (I have used the star buttons already) so all my driving in "normal" mode.

Hi all, sorry for a long absence. I have had my software update not long after I post this thread, and surprise surprise, it is an issue of software. I can now be able to achieve 360km easily with aircon. My regen now works at 97%, so way better than before, which starts at 48%. The regen braking is the main issue. For charging speed, I think that is the problem with my station, as when I use other station, I can achieve 72kW speed, but I haven't really been using other station as that one is closest to my home, and I now have a wall charger. But nonetheless, my problem has mostly been solved. Thank you all for your help and enthusiasm. It has all been very helpful for me.

My problem now lies with the safety features that is mostly not suitable for Indonesia. I just got hit by a motorcycle yesterday because there is a jaywalker (extremely common in Indonesia unfortunately) and my car thinks that I will hit her (which is not true, she wasn't even in front of my car, still on the side) and brakes from 40 to 0 km/h. I now have a dented bumper, broken reflector, and plastic covers that could not fit the bumper. Bummer. But that is for another thread I suppose. Other than that, the other features are excellent. I use the ACC and LKA every time (in Indonesia, the SR gets the Trophy spec for the features and infotainment).

Last edited by a moderator:
The experience with me is very different. In traffic, it seems that the car has better efficiency compared to me. But I think my leg needs to be educated then lol. My commute daily almost reaches 100km, and with the traffic condition, I can hardly use the ACC and LKA every time. I only use them in motorway, even that has abysmal traffic. I never achieve that 9.9kWh/100km, which I would love to, but stop and go traffic with everyone trying to cut you off is a worse situation, I think. Especially as I have to keep my AC on to keep me from getting fried under the summer sun.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back