MG4 EV Charging Cost with EON

Eon are a pain in the butt. I changed from standard rate to what they call Next Drive Fixed Tariff which should be 9.5p midnight to 7am and 33.607p for the rest of the day with a standing charge of 43.657p per day. Yes I know there are cheaper rates from other suppliers but due to a cock up with Eon having the wrong post code for my meter I cannot change supplier at present.

Back to the relevant stuff, I have only received one statement since the change over (next one due any day) so not too much to go on as yet, what I have is below:

Period 20th September to 7th October
Rate Consumption Cost
9.05p/kWh 115.1kWh £10.416 (car took 101.98kWh according to Zappi app)
32.01p/kWh 101.2 kWh £32.385

Total consumption 216.3kWh @19.79p/kWh (looks like they averaged it)
Above figures are less VAT

My smart meter in home display does not show dual rates, only the total amount used which it multiplies by 30.71 then adds 43.65p/day. So that is now totally irrelevant.

I have shifted dish washer and tumble dryer to the "cheaper" period but that does not account for the discrepancy between what I was charged for and what was used during the cheaper period.

Not sure if I am being screwed, confused of Colchester.
MG EV Trophy long range. Existing EON gas and electricity customer. After 2 months of phone calls and emails requesting EON Drive and getting various start dates and broken promises connection to ev tariff was confirmed by EON September 6th. Since then we have not received any electricity or gas bills at all. We contacted EON regarding this matter and after many phone calls we received a bill FOR GAS ONLY!!!!. We have been charging the car on cheap??? tariff since then with no idea what the cost or tariff is over night. We have contacted EON every week and escalated the complaint twice. The reply we got on Friday was that they have a major problem with many customers electricity meters because they need to take half hourly readings which some meters cannot provide. They have no idea when and if they can sort the problem on their IT system. I asked what my options were and was told the only one is to come off Drive tariff. They also admitted that their mobile app showing off peak usage only works now and then but I fear that is using daily tariff and not night tariff. EON are an absolute nightmare. Our son recently purchased an EV 4 . He was already with EON so signed up to Drive tariff and took up their charger supply deal. The Charger worked first time and then failed. Unable to get any help for a week so far. British Gas here we come. EON Drive has driven us mad!!!!

I'm with Octopus, brand new meter (gas and electric) and in home display and it doesn't cope with the cheap charging rate over night - i usually wake up to the home display saying £14 or more!

I did e-mail Octopus - who confirmed that the display will show the wrong amount but it should be correct on my bill. Given that i moved to Octopus 2 months ago and they haven't yet sent me a bill - I'm waiting to see!
Hi,

The IHD is rubbish.

Put your name down for one of these and put the IHD in a draw never to be used again

I'm with Octopus, brand new meter (gas and electric) and in home display and it doesn't cope with the cheap charging rate over night - i usually wake up to the home display saying £14 or more!

I did e-mail Octopus - who confirmed that the display will show the wrong amount but it should be correct on my bill. Given that i moved to Octopus 2 months ago and they haven't yet sent me a bill - I'm waiting to see!
If you check the App or Online Portal it will show you the previous day's usage broken down into 30 minute segments. Example:
Screenshot 2023-11-26 at 19-00-20 Octopus Energy.png

And my Octopus bills show the consumption for every half hour of the bill period and the rate it has been charged along with a graphic representation of each day.

I saw a guy on YouTube with this mini device - honestly this is brilliant and tech we should all have for a few pennies.

OP and others you are not alone - see my thread in the tariff forums about BG tariff. I’m pulling my hair out with them. Not much help to you but you aren’t alone, with struggles. When trying to dig through the mess that is landis gyr meters I stumbled across eon forums and the ovo ones who seem relatively clued up. Might be worth heading over to the EON ones as they have some people on there who seem to be connected with eon - eon community forums.

Alas no such thing exists for BG.

… errr it does - you just need to know where to look
I meant support forums and trust me I have no such data with a smets1 meter that was never connected to the DCC (along with “oops something went wrong” on their own website / app) and a new smets2 meter that they have left with no display and in an uncomissioned state.

Hi, I've been on the Eon Next Drive tariff since August this year and it's working fine.
If you want to see your actual domestic energy consumption with every 30 minutes timestamped check the following website - https:/n3rgy.com/consumer - you'll need to enter your address, meter mpan number and a number from your in home device (for your smart meter).
You can download the last 90 days of energy consumption. You'll need to use a spreadsheet to view and analyse the data. The data from my smart meter tied up pretty well with my car charging history.
I have a Wallbox charger (7kW) which has its own app and the numbers it records are consistent with my MG iSmart scheduled Charging data.

My Eon bill (pdf) also now shows separate figures for peak and off peak consumption

Good luck!

Cheers

Just for comparison sake, lets assume you have a 60kW battery pack. From 20% to 80% is 60% of 60 kW which is 36kW which at 9.5p/kwh should cost you (36 * 9.5) £3.42.
Looks like you have been charged at peak rate.

Assuming a peak rate of 30p, it would be 36 * 30 = £10.80
You beat me to it. I had just done pretty much the same calculation as you.

Well I think it might be because the battery capacity for the Extended Range is 77KW so:

60% of 77kw = 46.2

46.2 * 9.5p = £4.39

The off peak rate is 32.37p so that would mean:

46.2 * 32.37p = £14.95

Which confirms that I am probably being charged the higher rate.

Thanks for the help @wenkatn & @siteguru
32.37 is close to the standard rate, not off peak.

Standard rate is (currently) just under 27p, so 32.37p could indeed be a peak rate for some time-of-day tariffs. 🤷‍♂️

I've just received my MG4 Extended Range Trophy. I changed my energy tariff over to "EON Next" which claims it should cost 9.5p per KWH between midnight and 7am.

I have charged twice, between the hours of midnight and 6.30am from circa 20% up to circa 80%. According to my Smart Meter, It looks like it has cost me around £14.50 both times I have charged. I have a 7kw home charger.

Can anyone tell me if this seems to be roughly the correct amount, considering the tariff should only be 9.5p per kwh?? It seems higher than I was expecting

Thanks in advance
my son's house has been charged a reversal of day and night rates to their benefit for a couple of years - they have no particular night time usage but most of their bill is on the cheap nighttime rate!

I've been reasonably pleased with EON. They have answered my phone calls promptly, and booking somebody in to install isolators so my electrician could install a 7 KW/h charger was straightforward. The guy who did it told me about their Drive tariff so I swapped to that. I didn't get a bill for 2 months and my IHD was showing £12 for an overnight charge of about 60% battery so I was keeping my fingers crossed that the bill would actually be correct, which it was when it finally came through.

The EON Next app was showing my daily charges up until end of August (I didn't swap to Drive until October) so I emailed them about that. I had a prompt reply saying my smart meter was responding properly so billing is correct, and that they are working on updating the app. I hope this last bit comes to fruition as I'd like to see the daily breakdown. I'll check out the website that @waltgEV mentioned above.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back