Mg4 ev not charging using ccs

Lucieeeeeeeem

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Have had trouble charging my new MG4ev at Leigh Delamere services on the M4. First long distance trip and it just says there's an issue with my car. Lovely lady at gridserve tried twice to send a charge down but same error message kept appearing. Has anyone else had this issue? Many thanks

On my first trip out when my car was new the first charger I used was a Gridserve and it was fine. Then a few days later on my way home I tried to use an Applegreen ultra-rapid charger at Gretna but it kept saying "the car did something unexpected". I saw a free Gridserve charger about 50 yards away and moved on to that and again it connected with no issues.

Is this the first rapid charger you have tried with the car?

Have had trouble charging my new MG4ev at Leigh Delamere services on the M4. First long distance trip and it just says there's an issue with my car. Lovely lady at gridserve tried twice to send a charge down but same error message kept appearing. Has anyone else had this issue? Many thanks
Does it work ok on a type2 EVSE charge unit?
Can you get to a different rapid network?

On my first trip out when my car was new the first charger I used was a Gridserve and it was fine. Then a few days later on my way home I tried to use an Applegreen ultra-rapid charger at Gretna but it kept saying "the car did something unexpected". I saw a free Gridserve charger about 50 yards away and moved on to that and again it connected with no issues.

It's the second one I have tried.
That's exactly the same error message I got
I'm at a different service station now so we will try again 🙄 thanks

Does it work ok on a type2 EVSE charge unit?
Can you get to a different rapid network?
Yes have managed to get a few miles out of it. Got to the next service station so will try again with the CCS, thank you

Applegreen is the only rapid charger that has given me that message. I've used Gridserve, Instavolt and ChargePlace Scotland rapid chargers with no serious problem getting connected.

Good luck, keep us posted.

I've had a similar message at a Gridserve charger. Can't remember the exact wording but it implied that the problem was with the car. Like you, I tried a few times with the same result. I then moved to a different charger (still at the same place and still Gridserve) and the car charged perfectly, so it must have been the charger. It's not the nicest message to get as it made my wife and I think something had gone wrong with the car! I've used Gridserve chargers a few times since then and they've always been fine.

1st time out - its not going to be perfect (atleast in mycase), I find its better with the MG4 to never touch anything on the MG4, but let the charger / payment system do the work, some you need to put the CCS charger in 1st, others you need to activate the "charger" 1st : once you've understood the system, then no worries, but until then, the yes its a pain.

Yes have managed to get a few miles out of it. Got to the next service station so will try again with the CCS, thank you
Heading East or West? If you're heading West then I can advise on chargers in Bristol area that work fine with MG4. I've used Instavolt, Podpoint, Revive (same as Geniepoint), and BP pulse. The BP pulse was the only one that gave me trouble as my charge lead would not disconnect from the car. Used the manual override and was fine, and no problems since.

1st time out - its not going to be perfect (atleast in mycase), I find its better with the MG4 to never touch anything on the MG4, but let the charger / payment system do the work, some you need to put the CCS charger in 1st, others you need to activate the "charger" 1st : once you've understood the system, then no worries, but until then, the yes its a pain.
Yes, that's my experience too. You need to follow the instructions on the charger (and check when using a different provider) as I've made the same mistakes as you.

Gridserve seem to be the issue. Went to ikea reading and authorised a charge half a dozen times on their ccs chargers. Failed everytime. Resulted is using my type 2 with them that worked. No issues with any other providers thus far just gridserve.

Have tried 3 now. No joy. Waiting for AA now as not enough miles to get me to where I need to be. Can't even get the type 2 charger one to charge it now. I knew I should never have left Cornwall 🤣

This isn't good! It's stories like these that make me think twice about taking the car abroad. I can probably get myself out of trouble if everybody around me speaks English, but this happening in say Germany scares the living daylights out of me.

And it's half past eleven at night!

Have you ever charged on a public charger before, at all?

Yep have had a nissan leaf for the last 4 years....no problems at all

I've had a similar message at a Gridserve charger. Can't remember the exact wording but it implied that the problem was with the car. Like you, I tried a few times with the same result. I then moved to a different charger (still at the same place and still Gridserve) and the car charged perfectly, so it must have been the charger. It's not the nicest message to get as it made my wife and I think something had gone wrong with the car! I've used Gridserve chargers a few times since then and they've always been fine.
Be interesting to see what the AA say. I never had an issue with my previous car....a nissan leaf

No wonder you're tired, this is stressful. Hopefully the AA will be able to sort it out for you.

I've never heard of a car that wouldn't charge on any public charger, but there's a first time for everything. When I got mine I took it to the public charger close to my house a couple of times, with the intention of practising charging for my benefit (never had an EV before), but of course that had the unintended side-effect of proving that the car itself would do it.

Did you say you were getting charge from a type 2 and now you aren't?

Prompted by this thread, and aware that with a week long distance trip coming up, I hadn't yet tried my Trophy (owned for 1.5 months after 2.5 years of an MG5) on a CCS charger, I headed down to my local BP Pulse. Plugged in, tapped my RFID card and it started straight away. 138kW showing in the car and in the 2 minutes and 3 seconds of the test it added what I'd get in 30 minutes on the home 7kW charger.

Hope the trip goes as well...

I read somewhere that if you were new to EVs it was a good idea to charge a couple of times on a local charger just so you knew what to do. (This doesn't necessarily prepare you for all the different ways chargers operate, but at least it teaches you to follow the instructions on the screen.) Nobody ever said you should do it to make sure the car works!

This isn't good! It's stories like these that make me think twice about taking the car abroad. I can probably get myself out of trouble if everybody around me speaks English, but this happening in say Germany scares the living daylights out of me.

I wouldn’t be worried about Germany, most speak better English than we do.

Google translate app on your phone will translate in real time in when put in conversation mode.

Google translate app on your phone will translate in real time in when put in conversation mode.
Just as a quick update AA couldn't sort out the car. Eventually got to my friend's house at about 5am! The AA were great. Lovely taxi driver and the AA are recovering my car all the way back to Cornwall. Just sorting a hire car now. Thank you for all the support and advice. Much appreciated 🙏

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back