MG4 experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ,

Just buy my MG4 on 10th April 2023.
MG4 disappoint me from first day..regret to buy it and warn other peoples plz don't buy this sh*t car..just waste on money ..MG range claim is totally bullsh*t ..want authorities to investigate their range as its not even near by as MG claim..its real range for 64KW/h is around 170-180 most of driving in city and 10% on motor way at speed around 50 miles.

It's rear demister is NIGHTMARE , TAKE AGES TO DRY THE FOG..CABIN LIGHT IS JOKE..ALL OTHER CABIN INTERIOR IS NOT CHEAP BUT ITS TOOOOOOOO CHEAP...REGRET TO BUY ...TOTALLY BULLsh*t ALL MG CLAIMS DONT TRUST THEIR FIGURES...FEELING REGRET, REGRET,REGRET ...WASTE OF MONEY
I have had my MG4 for 3 weeks now and can't believe your talking about the same car. I love everything about the MG4 it's the best handling car I have ever driven and the build quality is great for the price 👌

Would tend to agree there is a place for ranting / venting, but I don’t agree that a community forum is the place to do it, and it can also be done in a much better manner.

No one on here has the ability to address some of the issues the OP is ranting about, as they do not have any link or connection with MG, other than being owners / potential owners, or past owners in some cases.

I think if the OP had came into the forum and asked for help or advice in a constructive manner, and gave their opinion based on their experience, rather than shouting about it, it would have been not only well received, but would also have gathered reasonable responses too. To come on here with the attitude of a petulant child will only serve to alienate them in all honesty and most on the forum will have no interest in helping or offering any advice.

A lot of the issues with this car appear to be software based, which, whilst niggling, aren’t really deal-breakers. Yes, some have had awful experiences, but even they haven’t resorted to this type of behaviour.

I think there should rightly be an acceptable standard for this forum, the same way as there would be for any public space.
I agree and I did say in my first post that the OP came at this in the wrong manner.

I do think that answering him with " Don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out" is also petulant and does not meet an acceptable standard for this forum.

Although there does seem to be a sliding scale of acceptable standards depending on whether you like the car or are critical. As I said it's not the first time people have been jumped on and told to leave for being critical.
Again I'm not defending the manner of the OPs post.

I have had my MG4 for 3 weeks now and can't believe your talking about the same car. I love everything about the MG4 it's the best handling car I have ever driven and the build quality is great for the price 👌
For the most part I think you will get most owners agreeing with you, unfortunately there are a good few issues with what seems to be earlier cars and the forum is well into double figures with members/former members rejecting the cars for what we're more than annoying software issues.

He is not the first and won't be the last to come on and rant/vent, do we just tell everyone with a bad experience/doesn't like the car (for whatever reason) to beat it
No, redirected him to his dealer, or come on here with a more reasonable attitude to the meaning and point of this forum.

No, redirected him to his dealer, or come on here with a more reasonable attitude to the meaning and point of this forum.
And I did say that, He came at this in the wrong manner!!
People have been given similar replies even when having a reasonable attitude but being critical of the MG4

Hi ,

Just buy my MG4 on 10th April 2023.
MG4 disappoint me from first day..regret to buy it and warn other peoples plz don't buy this sh*t car..just waste on money ..MG range claim is totally bullsh*t ..want authorities to investigate their range as its not even near by as MG claim..its real range for 64KW/h is around 170-180 most of driving in city and 10% on motor way at speed around 50 miles.

It's rear demister is NIGHTMARE , TAKE AGES TO DRY THE FOG..CABIN LIGHT IS JOKE..ALL OTHER CABIN INTERIOR IS NOT CHEAP BUT ITS TOOOOOOOO CHEAP...REGRET TO BUY ...TOTALLY BULLsh*t ALL MG CLAIMS DONT TRUST THEIR FIGURES...FEELING REGRET, REGRET,REGRET ...WASTE OF MONEY
Ey up duck

Is this your first electric? It's a bit of a leap to make from a normal car and takes a bit of getting used to. Plenty of people here who can offer you tips and tricks. It's not really a place to sound off or unload though.

My MG4 Trophy seems to be bang on range wise, I usually get exactly what it says on the dashboard. I used to have an EV6 and the estimated range was massively out. Which version have you got?

I don't usually have any issues with the demister either. If you've got the HVAC set on Auto with the AC on it usually just works for me and the drop in range isn't that noticeable. If I leave the AC off then I have trouble with fog/mist and the car takes a bit of time for the AC to catch up a bit.

The demisting issue could be caused by a poor fitting windscreen or door seal, both known faults causing leaks

Research, test drive ???
Are you sure its an mg, mine is hitting over 250 miles range on the motorway , 4.1 average in this good weather, 3.4 in the winter.
This is where its strange - we have done over 500 miles in ours now and I don't think I have seen a journey get more than 3.4 and that includes a drive up the M3 at 65 where I would have expected to see more than 3.1 out of it. There is obviously a lot of variation out there. Certainly never seen anything like the 4 some have seen

This is where its strange - we have done over 500 miles in ours now and I don't think I have seen a journey get more than 3.4 and that includes a drive up the M3 at 65 where I would have expected to see more than 3.1 out of it. There is obviously a lot of variation out there. Certainly never seen anything like the 4 some have seen
Things might improve with the warmer weather, unlesss you're razzing the AC.

Not directly relevant because it was an ICE, but I was monitoring petrol consumption on my Golf when the engine blew up and had to be replaced under warranty. As soon as the new engine was in the fuel economy improved quite significantly, and stayed there.

We regularly get over 4 in the se Sr loan car we are using while our trophy is being looked at. 100% charge was showing 231 on a few occasions. After all the issues we have had we still think the car is nice to drive and worth it, and we sure have reason to complain!!!!.

We're getting 3.7 average, can see 4.2 on Eco with no/minimal AC. Local journeys getting less.

You need a decently long journey to have a chance of getting the higher figures.

Key seems to be low top/average speeds and maintaining momentum and avoiding motorways.

We're showing around 3.7 mile/kWh average, in 320 miles over 13 days. Mostly shorter runs, 30/40 roads with a few national speed roads now and then. Mainly driving normal, but with the occasional blast on a faster road.

Range at 100% SOC is showing 262 miles.

The first trip out on a morning kills your m/kWh until the battery warms up.

I can quite easily get 4-4.5 when light-right-footing it once the car is warmed up.

It's half the price to run compared to my 2.2 diesel CR-V previous. And that's just on 33p/kWh rates. I'm more than happy with it personally.

It drives very well for the money too.

We're getting 3.7 average, can see 4.2 on Eco with no/minimal AC. Local journeys getting less.

You need a decently long journey to have a chance of getting the higher figures.

Key seems to be low top/average speeds and maintaining momentum and avoiding motorways.
The warmer weather has made a huge difference, I also think even EVs start to "loosen up" after the first 1000 miles or so.

The warmer weather has made a huge difference, I also think even EVs start to "loosen up" after the first 1000 miles or so.
Yes, ours has improved from the early days, so it could be the car loosening up.

Either way, the economy is good enough to meet our expectations, we don't need massive range.

The difference between 60 and 65 is, in my experience with the 140 mile range 2017 Ioniq, significant.
I could get over 4m/kWh, often nearer 5 if I kept the motorway speed at 60.
Especially if I slipstreamed.
At the time it made journeys an interesting challenge out of necessity.

The difference between 60 and 65 is, in my experience with the 140 mile range 2017 Ioniq, significant.
I could get over 4m/kWh, often nearer 5 if I kept the motorway speed at 60.
Especially if I slipstreamed.
At the time it made journeys an interesting challenge out of necessity.
That's why they called the Ioniq "The Windknife"

He is not the first and won't be the last to come on and rant/vent, do we just tell everyone with a bad experience/doesn't like the car (for whatever reason) to beat it
Leni; no, being polite is a minimum necessity. But anyone buying anything (we are bartering our work/wealth for someone else's 'stuff' when we 'buy' it) folk should shoulder the responsibility for their decision unless they have been deliberately misled. Now, wtlp can be misleading, for sure (I can exceed it, so although optimistic it isn't outright lies, as some state). But so are 'mpg' figures - especially in winter, and even more especially for petrol-ice engines. Emissions: dieselgate? Crashworthiness (Zoe, Pinto etc). Particulate emissions? And so on. As purchasers, many of us seem to have become lazy in the dyor area, opting instead to hide behind 'consumer protection' and 'fitness-for-purpose' clawbacks.
You felt the issues with your mg4 were sufficient that you baled for a Renault, if i recall correctly - at somewhat greater cost than the mg4(?) For me, the issues i have (minor oil dump, minor rear undertray warpage, some car drive functions resetting on each shutdown/startup) I can live with for the relatively low purchase and running cost. We drove an id3 prior to the mg, and a Honda e before that. each had it's failings (though the Honda e is a fantastic car for the shorter-range bracket). id.3: good car, rubbish UI. In a year's time, maybe the byd's will be catching the eye and vfm will be seen slightly differently: Musk seems to think so. So value is relative, and the reaction of aamer seems well ott compared to what he/she paid for the car. Did aamer do any research?

All new paradigms take time to settle; the ice vehicle industry spent >100 years doing so.
At least in the 21st century we have much shorter times to evolve and 'sort' new systems (thankfully).
Hope the Renault is going well.
atb - ttp

Leni; no, being polite is a minimum necessity. But anyone buying anything (we are bartering our work/wealth for someone else's 'stuff' when we 'buy' it) folk should shoulder the responsibility for their decision unless they have been deliberately misled. Now, wtlp can be misleading, for sure (I can exceed it, so although optimistic it isn't outright lies, as some state). But so are 'mpg' figures - especially in winter, and even more especially for petrol-ice engines. Emissions: dieselgate? Crashworthiness (Zoe, Pinto etc). Particulate emissions? And so on. As purchasers, many of us seem to have become lazy in the dyor area, opting instead to hide behind 'consumer protection' and 'fitness-for-purpose' clawbacks.
You felt the issues with your mg4 were sufficient that you baled for a Renault, if i recall correctly - at somewhat greater cost than the mg4(?) For me, the issues i have (minor oil dump, minor rear undertray warpage, some car drive functions resetting on each shutdown/startup) I can live with for the relatively low purchase and running cost. We drove an id3 prior to the mg, and a Honda e before that. each had it's failings (though the Honda e is a fantastic car for the shorter-range bracket). id.3: good car, rubbish UI. In a year's time, maybe the byd's will be catching the eye and vfm will be seen slightly differently: Musk seems to think so. So value is relative, and the reaction of aamer seems well ott compared to what he/she paid for the car. Did aamer do any research?

All new paradigms take time to settle; the ice vehicle industry spent >100 years doing so.
At least in the 21st century we have much shorter times to evolve and 'sort' new systems (thankfully).
Hope the Renault is going well.
atb - ttp
Totally agree, the member obviously hadn't looked into things, frustrations had obviously been building in him, he has found this forum joined and vented!

As I said his manner was all wrong, if he had come in expressed his concerns, asked for people thoughts/possible solutions, he would have got that. I've said this is one of the best forums I've been on for the core of really helpful members who go above and beyond helping people, providing advice etc. Not just relevant to MG's but EVs in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums