MG4 Fault Tracker: links to problems/solutions and general advice

I have had my MG4 SE LR for 6 weeks now. All has been good apart from drivers quater light window not sealed properly and letting a breeze in. Having this fixed soon by the dealer. Has anyone had an issue with the windows moving from side to side? I have found my passenger rear window moves quite a lot from side to side especially when it's wet!
Only noticed when I was cleaning it😵‍💫

Updated the tracker to include the "Activate Head Unit" issue

I have added information on Rejection and 7 or so recent threads involving people rejecting cars due to a number of faults.
Is there an update on the list regarding any newer cars. We will be on Holiday shortly but I am going to be contacting the Chorley group when we come back regarding the PCP offer that they are running and will probably have a ride over to Burnley for a test drive of a Trophy. It would be good to have an update on things that I ought to be highlighting to them that I want assurances over.

Is there an update on the list regarding any newer cars. We will be on Holiday shortly but I am going to be contacting the Chorley group when we come back regarding the PCP offer that they are running and will probably have a ride over to Burnley for a test drive of a Trophy. It would be good to have an update on things that I ought to be highlighting to them that I want assurances over.
Newer cars seem to be much better, they still suffer from software bugs but the hardware issues appear to be sorted out.

Newer cars seem to be much better, they still suffer from software bugs but the hardware issues appear to be sorted out.
Thanks for that as I say we are going on holiday soon but once we are back I will be looking into the PCP offer Miles mentioned. I have done some tentative discussions through messages and WhatsApp and the offer is on to the end of June. There isn’t an offer like that nearer to home but I suppose 30 miles isn’t too far away to go for a test drive and if I am happy with that I am likely to take the plunge.

I wasn’t originally going to start looking properly at the earliest till September and was going to be looking at raiding the pension pot along with a loan and my part exchange but that obviously would involve a larger monthly payment with interest where as the PCP a lot smaller monthly payment for 2 years and no interest in that time and leaving my pension pot alone for 2 years at least. Assuming I want to keep the car after that time.

2 Years is long enough to find out if it’s the car for me to keep. I’m hoping it is, provided it’s not plagued with faults then it will cover my needs.

Are the faults on the tracker list including the software bugs covered under the warranty?
The tracker is just a list assembled from what is reported on these forums. Some items will be warranty issues but it is up to MG to decide and in some cases (eg the undertray) they have declared they will not be fixed.

In general software bugs slowly get fixed in future updates which will be applied when the car is serviced, if MG agree a problem is a warranty issue they will pay a dealer to install updates to fix it in advance of the next service (if a fix is available).

The tracker is just a list assembled from what is reported on these forums. Some items will be warranty issues but it is up to MG to decide and in some cases (eg the undertray) they have declared they will not be fixed.

In general software bugs slowly get fixed in future updates which will be applied when the car is serviced, if MG agree a problem is a warranty issue they will pay a dealer to install updates to fix it in advance of the next service (if a fix is available).
I didn’t expect a response so quick, you must be another early bird lol

Just quick question as I can't any thread on this subject. Is the MG 4 app tracker DVLA approved? As I have been asked this for insurance quotes.

I can't say for certain, but I reckon I'd be right in saying No. Very few manufacturer systems/apps will be Thatcham-approved. (I don't think there is any such system as DVLA-approved).
Agreed. I would say it’s a definite no, and the simple reason being the fact that the car can go to ‘sleep’ at times, rendering the ‘tracking’ feature worthless.

This is a superb piece of work. A sugegstion, as so many problems are Trophy v SE related, it would be great to have a Trophy / SE / both column. Eg bluetooth disconnecting is a Trophy problem, no outside temperature is an SE problem, sagging undertray was a problem for both models.

What about people who have just got their new pride and joy and come on here and get depressed by reading the list. To have real value it needs to show % of cars with the issue. At a minium add a column showing how many reported it.

Needs counter-balance and context.

What about people who have just got their new pride and joy and come on here and get depressed by reading the list.
That's possible, although I would say it is better to know than not know and better to have threads to turn to for advice rather than not - if they get a problem.

And for those not making up their minds yet, reading any car forum before you buy the car could put anyone off as you'll come across lots of fault threads.

To have real value it needs to show % of cars with the issue. At a minium add a column showing how many reported it.
That would be enormous extra work going through every message in every related thread to work this out. I really don't have time to do that. If you wanted to collect that data, I'd be happy to include it.
Needs counter-balance and context.
I think that's the role of the positive ownership threads - and I'd like to see more of those, which I why I created one for my own ownership experience.

The context comes from engaging in the forum overall.

That's possible, although I would say it is better to know than not know and better to have threads to turn to for advice rather than not - if they get a problem.

And for those not making up their minds yet, reading any car forum before you buy the car could put anyone off as you'll come across lots of fault threads.

I was very disheartened, after ordering my MG4, to be reading all these negative posts about the car. Now I have it and realise what a fantastic car it actually is, I love to read about other owners' thoughts.

People don't usually come to a Forum to say 'I have absolutely no problems'...

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 499 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back