MG4 First EV & Advice

This all sounds a bit like I may have to obtain a physics degree in order to drive the car efficiently :). I'll have to scour YouTube for videos on how to drive an ev correctly :)

As I have a mate who drives an electric Kona and regularly tells me he's getting 4.7miles/kwh - or something like that - I need to know how to compete. or do I need a different car?

It is a new learning experience if you are coming straight from an ICE car. So many factors in getting maximum efficiency:eek:...too many to go into but start with a lighter right foot, then add weather conditions, motorway or b road driving, hills and glens, regen....aaaarrrrgggghhh...and there are loads more but is an enjoyable voyage of discovery as I have found. The main thing I have learned is to be more chilled...no traffic light racing...no outside lane whooshing past everything just relax and watch the range drop go more slowly and kw/mile efficiency go steadily up. Except when someone is up my ****. Then I show them just how good EV acceleration can be...whilst watching efficiency and range drop🤧

Enjoy

Alan

P.s Kona is estimated at combined cycle 4.4, MG4 3.8 miles per kw so perhaps your mate has an unassailable advantage?

Alan

I have no idea how coasting is achieved in a pure ev but my Outlander phev actually uses power in regen 0 (of 5 settings) because the transmission is always live (I've never tried selecting neutral when the car's in motion, for reasons unknown) and the car uses drive power to overcome the drag in the transmission system.

When I first got mine I spent a lot of time on a forum where some Dutch enthusiasts seemed to never go anywhere without analytical gear plugged into the car, and that's where that came from.
Didn't intend to have everyone registering with the OU for the appropriate courses. 🙂

I can't recall how much juice was involved, I doubt if it's much and obviously maybe of more interest when you've only got 25 ev range to start with but quite frankly there's nothing you can do about it anyway.

Just as then posted only to remind that as Scottie used to say "There's nae such thing as a free lunch Jim" or "Ye cannae change the laws of physics Jim".

From a practical point of view it's not worth bothering about.

Btw, I was wondering why I've never coasted in neutral in the Outlander and I think it's because it has one of those 'gear selectors' which are a relic from the days of auto ic cars - push back to go forward (😨) and push back to go forward (😱) and I'm subconsciously terrified that when I come to re-engage a 'gear' I'll push it the wrong way and select reverse at 65mph.

I can hear the snoring......😴

Hi All,

First of all very odd to be posting unexpectedly in the MG4 thread today. As a bit of background I have been kicking around these forums since ordering my MK2 ZS EV Trophy (silver). That still hasn’t arrived since ordering end of feb / start of March with people from November last year still waiting. We were looking for a second electric car anyways and with the release of the MG4 which fit right into our budget with tech vs cost compared to the likes of the ID3 & Cupra range. So we went ahed and got a stock dealer black SE SR MG4 available next week. Now we did want the SE LR or the trophy LR however these seem a rarity at the moment (see other threads) and as a side note if anyone knows of any dealers with stock available for these can they let me know.

Now our logic on the short range was that it’s a second car and less journeys will be spent doing the longer road trips, we would like the tech touches such as heated seats and steering wheel for the chilly Scottish weather which should have been better than using the VAC system for efficiency etc 🥶 I was also informed that the SR cars actually use different battery technology LFP which means preferred charging between 0 & 100% which actually could work out better. The tech in the LR for battery health mode prefers 20-80% charging therefore essentially reducing the range to in the same figures as the SR. If someone could let me know what I need to consider for this new battery tech that would be super as we have been doing our research all based on our ZS EV LR order this is all very new.

This might be a great place for all new MG4 owners to share their experiences & knowledge too! I’ll definitely keep you all updated & definitely and obligatory flap photo on arrival ;). Also keep your fingers crossed that the MG gods will eventually deliver the ZS.

Hi All,

First of all very odd to be posting unexpectedly in the MG4 thread today. As a bit of background I have been kicking around these forums since ordering my MK2 ZS EV Trophy (silver). That still hasn’t arrived since ordering end of feb / start of March with people from November last year still waiting. We were looking for a second electric car anyways and with the release of the MG4 which fit right into our budget with tech vs cost compared to the likes of the ID3 & Cupra range. So we went ahed and got a stock dealer black SE SR MG4 available next week. Now we did want the SE LR or the trophy LR however these seem a rarity at the moment (see other threads) and as a side note if anyone knows of any dealers with stock available for these can they let me know.

Now our logic on the short range was that it’s a second car and less journeys will be spent doing the longer road trips, we would like the tech touches such as heated seats and steering wheel for the chilly Scottish weather which should have been better than using the VAC system for efficiency etc 🥶 I was also informed that the SR cars actually use different battery technology LFP which means preferred charging between 0 & 100% which actually could work out better. The tech in the LR for battery health mode prefers 20-80% charging therefore essentially reducing the range to in the same figures as the SR. If someone could let me know what I need to consider for this new battery tech that would be super as we have been doing our research all based on our ZS EV LR order this is all very new.

This might be a great place for all new MG4 owners to share their experiences & knowledge too! I’ll definitely keep you all updated & definitely and obligatory flap photo on arrival ;). Also keep your fingers crossed that the MG gods will eventually deliver the ZS.
Thanks for creating this thread, I’m sure it will be invaluable,

Honestly it’s great to read all of these replies! How’s your SR white ? I get my black SE SR on Wednesday - very excited!
You won’t regret it,

I love driving the MG4 a few things to get used to though, firstly the MG pilot, great addition but I’ve turned mine off until I get used to the car,

Then the lack of the on/off button, absolutely fine, but it’s weird getting out without turning the car off, somehow seems wrong but again getting used to it.

Then of course the big one! charging it up, doing a bit of shopping, returning only to find people looking at it and staring inside like bee’s around a honey pot.

ENJOY IT, I KNOW YOU WILL !!! 👍

Last edited:
You won’t regret it,

I love driving the MG4 a few things to get used to though, firstly the MG pilot, great addition but I’ve turned mine off until I get used to the car,

Then the lack of the on/off button, absolutely fine, but it’s weird getting out without turning the car off, somehow seems wrong but again getting used to it.

Then of course the big one, charging it up, doing a bit of shopping, returning only to find people looking at it and staring inside like bee’s around a honey pot.

ENJOY IT, I KNOW YOU WILL !!! 👍
Took my reserved red Trophy for a 15 mile test drive today, pretty much straight off the transporter, as they still have no demos. Loved the handling and ride, so pulled the trigger on it. Agreed about MG pilot. Felt like I was fighting the car for control of the wheel. Definitely need to become fully familiarised before using it. Here are some pics of it today.

Attachments

• 695F2D2E-3478-46C1-B56E-126DE7156483.jpeg
    695F2D2E-3478-46C1-B56E-126DE7156483.jpeg
    939.1 KB · Views: 149
  • 27E3D544-D561-4B61-9C2A-FE5B4287E79A.jpeg
    27E3D544-D561-4B61-9C2A-FE5B4287E79A.jpeg
    886.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 0C7BD920-CA68-4404-9B5A-2CA0133045D3.jpeg
    0C7BD920-CA68-4404-9B5A-2CA0133045D3.jpeg
    798.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 065B6D14-3656-40A3-96CB-A087F6829AAC.jpeg
    065B6D14-3656-40A3-96CB-A087F6829AAC.jpeg
    492 KB · Views: 148
Have to say that although I've got the small deposit on a grey, the red does look good!
Grey was my first choice, but it ended up being an SE, instead of a Trophy. The red has grown on me and it’s not a bright ‘speeding ticket invite’ red. It’s more subtle; at least in today’s overcast light. Maybe it will pop more in sunlight. I am perfectly happy with it. It handles so nicely! Just have to get a home charger asap. Should have the car by the weekend. Yay!!

Grey was my first choice, but it ended up being an SE, instead of a Trophy. The red has grown on me and it’s not a bright ‘speeding ticket invite’ red. It’s more subtle; at least in today’s overcast light. Maybe it will pop more in sunlight. I am perfectly happy with it. It handles so nicely! Just have to get a home charger asap. Should have the car by the weekend. Yay!!
The grey looks insane with the full LED light bar on the trophy - I seen one at the local dealers when I popped by for a test drive and to have a sneak peak at my MG4. I also like the red and blue in person - controversial but I actually really think the blue pops a bit more than the orange!

This all sounds a bit like I may have to obtain a physics degree in order to drive the car efficiently :). I'll have to scour YouTube for videos on how to drive an ev correctly :)

As I have a mate who drives an electric Kona and regularly tells me he's getting 4.7miles/kwh - or something like that - I need to know how to compete. or do I need a different car?
Don't bother with all this efficiency stuff. I'm not sure why buying an EV turns their owners into some kind of obsessive about this that and the other. Do you bother with an ICE?

Just get in it, drive it and enjoy it, when the 'tank' is low, fill it, that's all you really need to do.

:)

The grey looks insane with the full LED light bar on the trophy - I seen one at the local dealers when I popped by for a test drive and to have a sneak peak at my MG4. I also like the red and blue in person - controversial but I actually really think the blue pops a bit more than the orange!
Does "insane" mean good?
Living in hope🙂

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums