MG4 First EV & Advice

I think with LFP batteries, you are generally supposed to charge them to 100% to preserve them - although I personally wouldn’t leave it for days at 100% not being used. That’s why with my Mg Zs SR they greyed out the ability to automatically stop at 80% on the touchscreen - it’s there for the long range only.
I haven’t charged the mg4 yet so haven’t explored the charging menu yet, but as others have said don’t get too hung up about it.
I think with the MG4 SE SR they have removed that feature so essentially recommending between 20 & 80% as with the LR variants. I seen that for the ZS SR they had removed that but doesn’t seem to for my MG4 though not sure if it’s a software issue at this stage

I’ve read this article and agree with most points on it - though LFP & NMC should be charged to 100% at least once a week to keep the BMS accurate - even more so for the LFP & will minimise battery health impact and keep an accurate readout. I’m learning a lot over the next couple of weeks. Seems a common miss conception LFP should be at 100 SOC. Not true indeed & MG probably added the battery health mode back in for the MG4 for that exact reason.

Random question/s

Can you use voice control when using Android auto?

Also how easy is it to set to cruise control?

Random question/s

Can you use voice control when using Android auto?

Also how easy is it to set to cruise control?
Hi Jamie,

I can use Siri with my apple car play, there is a button on the left hand side of the steering wheel at the top and works alright for me.

The cruise control is easy peasy to set - again on the steering wheel the directional buttons left to right for distance and up and down for speed and a button on the steering wheel (centre button) to activate on and off.

Enjoy!

I’ve read this article and agree with most points on it - though LFP & NMC should be charged to 100% at least once a week to keep the BMS accurate - even more so for the LFP & will minimise battery health impact and keep an accurate readout. I’m learning a lot over the next couple of weeks. Seems a common miss conception LFP should be at 100 SOC. Not true indeed & MG probably added the battery health mode back in for the MG4 for that exact reason.
I average around 150 miles in a normal week, so that means I’d be bang on for charging to the recommended weekly 100% anyway. I put my MG4 standard range on my home charger this morning & as with my former MG ZS sr, it doesn’t seem to allow you to automatically stop charging at 80%. The battery saver option is still greyed out. To me that still suggests that MG are nudging you to routinely home charge the sr cars to 100%. I can’t imagine many of our fellow standard rangers will be glued to their apps waiting for the magic 80% to appear so they can rush outside at 2am to unplug their cars!😀
Perhaps one of our long rangers could clarify if they can use the battery save option?

At what temperature, and below, should I be pre-heating the battery? Should this only be done when plugged in? As I’m on Octopus Go, I only get the cheaper rate until 04:30, and am not likely to be going anywhere that early. How much power does pre-heating consume?

I am also on Go rate so 04:30 is too early to be effective for driving preheat. First question...what models, if any have a heat pump? Far more efficient. Secondly does the battery heater draw off the batteries or a connected active charger? Third question if it draws off the charger will the battery heater request override the car charge schedule? As for power consumption that depends on a number of factors including heat pump or not. Can you adjust the start and stop temperature? If not automatic start at about 0% minimum and aim for +5 to 10c

On average, a heat pump consumes between 500 and 750 watts whereas a conventional heating system eats up between 2,000 and 4,000 watts. However, it should be noted that heat pumps are less efficient at very low temperatures (< -5°C).

To hit the road under the best conditions, put the heating on in your EV 30 minutes before leaving while keeping your vehicle plugged in if it draws off the charger. This way, the heating system feeds off the power supply rather than your EV battery. As a result, you can drive off without your teeth chattering and with a far more efficient, pre-primed battery.

The ideal temperature of your batteries should be 50ºF. While anything above 32ºF is fine, the optimal range is between 46ºF and 50ºF.

You could also preheat the batteries shortly before the charging schedule as this helps with the charging. Batteries charge slower when not at the optimum temperature so every little helps. Again could be dependent on schedule override.

My opinion only, more advice welcome

Alan

Last edited:
At what temperature, and below, should I be pre-heating the battery? Should this only be done when plugged in? As I’m on Octopus Go, I only get the cheaper rate until 04:30, and am not likely to be going anywhere that early. How much power does pre-heating consume?
Not too sure on the exact temperature - however the iSMART app recommends pre-heating an hour before you start a charging schedule. Be interesting to find out exact temps & when is the ideal time, though more related to optimum charge rate than anything else - so only if you are looking to be super efficient and charge at as fast a rate as possible.

Just purchased myself the following, if you have any further suggestions let me know.

Granny charger / trickle charger 7m seems just the right length for most places where I might need a top up like holiday lets etc

Matts from online source - non originals but from the forum members recommended. I’m looking for a rubber boot cover please if anyone can recommend/ link.

10.25” screen protector for the infotainment screen

Key pocket - will protect the key from being stolen

Air freshener bomb / spray can

I’m also looking at ceramic coating & wrapping glossy centre console (very handprint central & can scratch)

Also thinking of starting a YouTube journey with my other half to document our first EV journey of ownership which might help some people make the leap (hopefully)

Happy Motoring,

I hope it won't be to much of a problem for MG4 owners but is it possible to measure ground clearance? I can't find this information on internet and forgot to ask dealer.

Thank you

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel