MG4 - First UK dealer hands on photos and specifications

Wouldn't they have to put it into drive and press the brake pedal?
Yes, that's the way I understand it for now. The car remains 'ready' and you'd have to press the brake and put it into D or R as you would with any other EV that's "on".

And in my scenario, however unlikely it is, it shouldn't be possible.

My worry is that the MG4 skips the "ACC" mode and will only have "on" or "off", perhaps "off" even only if the car is locked and / or the key out of range.

That way it'd be either all (A/C, In car Entertainment and the ability to drive) or nothing (everything off).

I'll test this "ACC" mode when we get our first demonstrators. I'm sure there will be some safety measures in place, but I don't know exactly what at this stage.
Is there a pdf version of the instruction manual available? A lot of answers to the questions would be found there.

So no-one seems to know yet the actual dimensions of the boot? I can find the litre capacity, but not the dimensions. My order for an MG4 is in, but my golf clubs need to know!

I'll test this "ACC" mode when we get our first demonstrators. I'm sure there will be some safety measures in place, but I don't know exactly what at this stage.
Ok Miles thank you, this is a very interesting question and possible scenario that as been posted by Raph,and Colsky in correct in saying about having to push the brake to select drive.
As we know here in the UK it is an Offense to leave a vehicle unattended while it is turned on but I have seen it done many many times even more so in the winter when drivers are trying to defrost in a morning that law my not apply in Germany.

So I was going to place a suggestion to Raph and say to him, if you took the keys out of the car and into the shop would that stop the children switching anything on or off while the keys where nowhere near the car, knowing that on my MG5, if I get in the car without my keys the screen says ( Smart key not detected ) and I can’t do anything until I get the keys. this is when the car is switched off of course.

So i have just tried doing what Raph as outlined and left the car switched on in Park mode, A/c and radio on also, got out took and the keys back into the house, came back to the car which is still switched on, got back into the car and closed the car door with the keys still left in the house, as I closed the car door screen came up ( Smart key not detected ) did not touch the brake pedal at all and tried to select a drive mode but could not car remind in Park, fine so far, now I now press the brake and select drive still no keys remember now the car goes into drive mode and I can now move off which I did for a vert short distance before reversing back to my house
how can this be I could not believe it but i did it.

It would appear once the car as been switch on, as long as it is not switched of again, you can do anything with it including driving it, even if there is no keys present.
Surely this can’t be right on any EV can it. All I can say now to Raph is, do not leave the car switch on when you get out of it kids or no kids is the best thing to do.
Les.

Ok Miles thank you, this is a very interesting question and possible scenario that as been posted by Raph,and Colsky in correct in saying about having to push the brake to select drive.
As we know here in the UK it is an Offense to leave a vehicle unattended while it is turned on but I have seen it done many many times even more so in the winter when drivers are trying to defrost in a morning that law my not apply in Germany.

So I was going to place a suggestion to Raph and say to him, if you took the keys out of the car and into the shop would that stop the children switching anything on or off while the keys where nowhere near the car, knowing that on my MG5, if I get in the car without my keys the screen says ( Smart key not detected ) and I can’t do anything until I get the keys. this is when the car is switched off of course.

So i have just tried doing what Raph as outlined and left the car switched on in Park mode, A/c and radio on also, got out took and the keys back into the house, came back to the car which is still switched on, got back into the car and closed the car door with the keys still left in the house, as I closed the car door screen came up ( Smart key not detected ) did not touch the brake pedal at all and tried to select a drive mode but could not car remind in Park, fine so far, now I now press the brake and select drive still no keys remember now the car goes into drive mode and I can now move off which I did for a vert short distance before reversing back to my house

It would appear once the car as been switch on, as long as it is not switched of again, you can do anything with it including driving it, even if there is no keys present.
Surely this can’t be right on any EV can it. All I can say now to Raph is, do not leave the car switch on when you get out of it kids or no kids is the best thing to do.
Les.
I belive any ev would behave like this, so in case the was in a bag that you dropped of, you would not be stranded.

I think that's actually fine and expected (from my ICEs as well). I remember that discussion when I had my first keyless / push button car (2007 1 Series) - you could throw the key out and keep driving for as long as you didn't switch the engine off. I believe the argument was "what if the car fails to detect the key while you're driving, or if you're in a dangerous situation i.e. on railway tracks".

If it's on (and has been driven any distance), it's on - I'm happy with that. But can we do anything without switching the whole car on?

My current cars are a Zoe - that allows me to manually switch on Radio and (I believe) AC while the rest of the car is completely 'off' - and an Ioniq 28 - that allows me to switch to ACC and use Radio / Nav / Onlyfans (apparently the A/C compressor doesn't kick in until the engine is active) - it may even have another 'on but not drivable' mode as I recall a few times where I thought the car was on, but I found that I had to "Start" again to get it into gear - but I'm not quite certain how to force or reproduce this - whether this was intentional by the car because I didn't get into Gear within X (Seconds or Minutes), or whether I just hadn't pressed the brake hard enough when switching it on.

Les.
VW with the keyless push button start works the same way.
If you have the key inside of the car and start it, then hand the key to somebody outside, you could in theory drive as far as you wanted !.
You could in drive the length of the U.K. and it would be fine !.
But if you turned off the car ( 200 hundred miles away from home ) you would be left totally stranded !.
It would need to identify the key 🔑 again, in order for it to mobilise the car and let it start.
I was told this by a VW Tech a few years ago.

With regards to the 800 SE SR, 200 SE LR and 1000 Trophy vehicles in the first batch I am surprised that they don't anticipate more of a demand for the SE LR, or is it simply a matter of prioritising the Trophy version when handing out the larger battery packs as it is likely to make them more money?

I'm a little concerned as my order is in for a SE LR and with just 200 in the first shipment I wouldn't be at all surprised to not get one by the end of the year even if my order was one of the first at the dealership.

One of the reason if and when she gets has the MG4 she wants the cloth seating they don’t need any heating I don’t think and they are cooler at this time of year more than once this summer I have almost called at A&E for some burns cream I can tell you.
You park up its dull and when you come back it almost 40 degrees in side the car and forget about tints it’s from the windscreen at times I bought one of those foil Reflectors to put in the windscreen had fitted at home one day and my next door neighbour said have you fitted a solar panel to the car then cheeky I said.
Les
Wanted cloth seats on my LR 5 Exclusive but no option but to take the burn yourself in summer and a frosted bum in the winter seats...:-(

With regards to the 800 SE SR, 200 SE LR and 1000 Trophy vehicles in the first batch I am surprised that they don't anticipate more of a demand for the SE LR, or is it simply a matter of prioritising the Trophy version when handing out the larger battery packs as it is likely to make them more money?

I'm a little concerned as my order is in for a SE LR and with just 200 in the first shipment I wouldn't be at all surprised to not get one by the end of the year even if my order was one of the first at the dealership.
On the other hand, you could be the only person who wants one, so you might get it straight away?

On the other hand, you could be the only person who wants one, so you might get it straight away?
I hope so! I'd just be surprised, it seems like a no-brainer to me if you're not interested in paying the £3k extra for the Trophy. The main temptation for me is the rear-camera, I believe you mentioned previously that the SE gets no rear camera at all, only sensors. I've had a couple of rentals with rear-camera and top-down view and they have been very useful, just not worth £3k.

On the colour note, I ordered my White MG4 Trophy today (not with you unfortunately as I am Essex based). However, what's your ratio of White Trophy's. Hoping its low so high chance for me on early delivery. I was first at my dealer and they were pretty excited. Great fun.👴

Edit. Also have you got any decent dealer pics of the white?

Does the MG4 use a heatpump like the Marvel R or is it the usual resistive heat?
I'd be surprised if it had a heat pump for the UK, it doesn't usually get cold enough here to warrant the extra expense. Probably going to be an option in colder countries

I hope so! I'd just be surprised, it seems like a no-brainer to me if you're not interested in paying the £3k extra for the Trophy. The main temptation for me is the rear-camera, I believe you mentioned previously that the SE gets no rear camera at all, only sensors. I've had a couple of rentals with rear-camera and top-down view and they have been very useful, just not worth £3k.
we need to find a aftermarket rear camera :) ;)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 537 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back