MG4 - First UK dealer hands on photos and specifications

I seem to recall a dealer giving my wife a bouquet of flowers about 30 years ago, but absolutely nothing since...my wife would say I've changed my car around 30 times since then, but she exaggerates :) it was probably more like 20 :) soo I'm not expecting anything this time around.
I was joking about flowers and stuff, it probably was years ago, I think last time I got something was probably 03 plate or 53?is that 2003?
I was picking up my BMW 530D, dealer gave me an umbrella and said there was a delay in downloading some software, after 2 hours wait, they apologise and said it’s finally ready and they gave me another umbrella, when I got home and open the boot, surprise, surprise, another umbrella, so I had 3 umbrella in total, 😆
Made me wonder whether BMW was selling cars or umbrella.

Last edited:
I was picking up my BMW 530D (...)

When I bought my last BMW (520d) in 2012, I negotiated that they'd make sure to leave the proprietary iPhone Cradle (~£100 value I think) inside. I also received a flower bouquet and a bottle of.... something (wine or prosecco?)

About 6-12 Months later, when there was no reason to think of the dealership, I received a letter from the dealership, containing a beautiful BMW Keyring with my name engraved. Found that to be a really nice gesture.

Ever since and with other brands, I get nothing but spam mail. :(

I sold my car (Diesel) last weekend. The buyer wired the money on Monday and is going to collect it today, thinking about giving him a bottle of wine or something as well - if we don't get that when buying from dealerships anymore...

did I not mention that they are hand made from the hair of a unicorn? :) I've been a Ford owner for 45 years, and the mats in those last me up to 30k miles, so I'm hoping that these will be just as durable - if not then I've learned an expensive lesson
Unicorn hair?Oh Lordy! They must look like this:
5A97AB01-1594-468B-BD36-A258102E81EA.jpeg

Hi folks, newly registered, been following the MG4 for a while as a potential successor for my 2016 30kWh Leaf. Nowt wrong with the Leaf apart from it's down one bar and obviously the range is looking distinctly old school these days!

Looking at either the SE or the SE Long Range (I don't really like the look of the Trophy) but ... sigh.
  • The lack of a reversing camera / front sensors is baffling, especially on the long range variant. I'm finding it difficult to move past this! A new 2022 car based on a new platform and you can't even get these added as options. Instead we have "MG pilot" which is ... fine, I guess. But I want to get in a car, drive it, and park without worrying about bashing into other cars or hazards.
  • No heat pump, yikes!
  • Can I use an app (like with the Leaf) to heat/cool the car in advance of driving?
  • No supplied Type 2 cable, only a 3 pin granny lead. Bizarre decision.
Am I being too picky? I'm used to 2016 technology, I guess :)
I've got to admit, am thinking of cancelling my order. Love everything about the look of the car. But the Trophy is too much of a stretch financially, but having lived with a reverse camera now for a few years feels like a big backward step to not have one and all the after market options seem a bit clunky 😥

I've got to admit, am thinking of cancelling my order. Love everything about the look of the car. But the Trophy is too much of a stretch financially, but having lived with a reverse camera now for a few years feels like a big backward step to not have one and all the after market options seem a bit clunky 😥
I've never had a reversing or 360 camera. Fortunately for me I don't know what I'm missing.

I've got a reversing camera on my Mazda 3 at present. The lack of it on the SE doesn't really bother me as I find it gets really dirty really quickly on my Mazda. Plus, the SE still has sensors at the rear which is enough for me.

I'm also having doubts about ordering due to the lack of reversing camera. The SR SE would be perfect for us but wifey has vetoed it due to no reversing camera so we would basically be spending £5.5k for that one feature. The trophy is also so close in price to the Cupra Born we might go for that instead.

It's about time they were mandated on all cars as a safety feature.

Yep. I mean I'm sure the MG4 will sell bucket loads. But there will also be a certain percentage who won't buy it for this reason. Sad really, as a reversing camera must cost peanuts and if it weren't for this they could have my money now. Believe in the states all new vehicles must have one legally.

I've had a reversing camera in my last 4 cars I've owned. I'm currently renting a 500e that doesn't have one and I hate not having it despite the car being tiny. So it's trophy or bust for me.
It was the reversing camera (not really bothered abut the 360) that swung it for me, that and the rear spoiler (Each to their own).

WHat has me really miffed is that I am going to have to add £300.00 for colour coded front parking sensors installation. That is really annoying.

When I had thre ZS For a long weekend, whilst the 360 camera was funky, still did not like the lack of front sensors.

When did cameras replace eyes and mirrors... Have observations been removed from the driving test?
Not replaced my eyes! 🤣

mirrors have their place and are still used (currently, already starting to disappear on some cars) but I like the fish eye lens that shows more field of view than my normal rear view /side mirror.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 537 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back