MG4 - First UK dealer hands on photos and specifications

Sorry, are we thinking the cars will be in showrooms next week?
I think MG’s goal is to have the demonstrators ready right after the dealer training 22nd/23rd. Not sure if the customer ordered cars will be there at the same time or later. My dealer confirmed their allocation is in the UK, but is still in Southampton.

Sorry for the delayed reply. Yes, due to a shortage of 3-pin cables, they are shipping with type2-type2 32A cables in the first batch of MG4 to arrive.

The first 600 SE vehicles will also have privacy glass, due to a mis-build which MG UK were only made aware of once they were on the water...
Will we get the 3-pin cables as soon as available? They're more expensive than type 2 to 2

Will we get the 3-pin cables as soon as available? They're more expensive than type 2 to 2
Just been looking at that. I would have far more use for the granny lead than a type 2. (More for elderly parent visiting really and perhaps to balance the batteries over the tethered Zappi once a month).

I would settle to get the lead at least at cost price, (I see that MG prices are significantly more expensive for the Type 2 lead, so would assume the granny would be also).

Just been looking at that. I would have far more use for the granny lead than a type 2. (More for elderly parent visiting really and perhaps to balance the batteries over the tethered Zappi once a month).

I would settle to get the lead at least at cost price, (I see that MG prices are significantly more expensive for the Type 2 lead, so would assume the granny would be also).
I'd rather they keep the 2 to 2, I would have more use out of the "granny" (bless her). Their mistake, it should be free.

There is not such a huge difference in price to be honest.
Screwfix at £174.99 for a three pin granny cable. ( See link below ) by Masterplug.
( Oh ...... I did find one for £149.00 including VAT & P.P. )

Vs : A Type 2 / Type 2 public charging cable ( 32 Amps ) 5 metre.
At EVONESTOP for £115.00 including VAT.

There is not such a huge difference in price to be honest.
Screwfix at £174.99 for a three pin granny cable. ( See link below ) by Masterplug.
( Oh ...... I did find one for £149.00 including VAT & P.P. )

Vs : A Type 2 / Type 2 public charging cable ( 32 Amps ) 5 metre.
At EVONESTOP for £115.00 including VAT.

£60 extra for something I don’t need. If so cheap, I’m sure MG can afford it

£60 extra for something I don’t need. If so cheap, I’m sure MG can afford it
With an EV you can never have too many charging options available IMO.
A "Granny Lead" maybe something you don't need today or even tomorrow, but when you need it, nothing else will do the job.
If you get caught out running low on range, not everybody has a wall box to offer you, but almost everybody has a three pin socket !.
I would be cautious of dismissing the usefulness of a "Granny" lead for an extra £60 over the Type 2 cable, they both have a very important jobs to do, under different circumstances.
Both have the ability to get you out of a sticky situation.
A kind owner with V2L cable has the ability to power a "Granny Lead" - but only if you had one ;) .

With an EV you can never have too many charging options available IMO.
A "Granny Lead" maybe something you don't need today or even tomorrow, but when you need it, nothing else will do the job.
If you get caught out running low on range, not everybody has a wall box to offer you, but almost everybody has a three pin socket !.
I would be cautious of dismissing the usefulness of a "Granny" lead for an extra £60 over the Type 2 cable, they both have a very important jobs to do, under different circumstances.
Both have the ability to get you out of a sticky situation.
A kind owner with V2L cable has the ability to power a "Granny Lead" - but only if you had one ;) .
I use 3..Type 2 most of the time, Granny, when no other option is available, and as I do a lot of site work, I have a Type 2 with a generator plug. All useful, to me.

Yesterday, I got the first chance to see (and sit in) the new MG4 (and facelifted MG5).

View attachment 9879

First impressions were "wow!"
View attachment 9880View attachment 9881

The quality of the finish was very impressive. This was in Trophy specification, in the new Camden Grey paint colour, with a 64kWh battery. Interior space has been maximised by using a long wheelbase (the MG4 wheelbase is only 15mm shorter than the MG HS). This gives shorter overhangs, with more passenger space compared to traditionally proportioned cars.

The boot was a good size, with a two level floor. No figures were given regarding litre capacity, but it appeared bigger than say Kia Niro Electric.

View attachment 9883

The rear passenger space is good for 2 adults and a child, with excellent headroom and legroom. Flat floor through the back. No rear courtesy lights though (!).

View attachment 9884View attachment 9885

LED headlights front and rear. No Frunk.

View attachment 9886

The dashboard design is well laid out, with a quality fit and finish throughout. Clearly this is a car which has been benchmarked against the iD3, but I'd objectively say that this feels more premium.
View attachment 9887View attachment 9888

Under the floating drive-mode selector, there is a storage console with 2 cupholders, a roller-shutter covered large drawer, and a couple of USB sockets.
Behind the drive mode selector is a wireless phone charger (with a removable cover, where you can pass USB cables through if required).

There is no start-stop button on the MG4. To start it, you simply get into the car with the key, and put your foot on the brake.

I have been told by an MG UK engineer that the CCS charging speed on the 51kWh variant is around 90-100kW, and on the 64kWh version it is 120-130kW peak.

View attachment 9889

MG will launch the MG4 initially with two battery sizes (51kWh & 64kWh and in two trim levels (SE and Trophy).

The SE Standard Range will have as standard:
  • 51kWh Battery
  • 125kW Power (151 bhp)
  • 0-62mph in 7.7 seconds
  • Charge to 80% in 40 mins
  • 218 miles range
  • MG Pilot
  • LED Headlights and Rear Lights
  • Auto Lights
  • Rear Park Distance Sensors
  • 17" Alloy Wheels
  • Auto AC
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • V2L
  • 7" Driver Display
  • 10.25" Touchscreen
  • Apple Car Play
  • Android Auto
  • iSmart

The SE Long Range will have:
  • 64kWh Battery
  • 150kW Power (201 bhp)
  • 0-62mph in 7.9 seconds
  • Charge to 80% in 35 mins
  • 281 miles range
  • MG Pilot
  • LED Headlights and Rear Lights
  • Auto Lights
  • Rear Park Distance Sensors
  • 17" Alloy Wheels
  • Auto AC
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • V2L
  • 7" Driver Display
  • 10.25" Touchscreen
  • Apple Car Play
  • Android Auto
  • iSmart
  • Active Grille Shutter System (can close/open vents on front bumper to reduce drag / increase cooling as needed)

The Trophy Long Range will have:
  • 64kWh Battery
  • 150kW Power (201bhp)
  • 0-62mph in 7.9 seconds
  • Charge to 80% in 35 minutes
  • 270 miles range (the extra kit weighs a bit, plus the funky spoiler creates more drag!)
  • Blind Spot Detection (BSD)
  • Lane Change Assist (LCA)
  • Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
  • 2 Tone Roof (Black)
  • Rear Privacy Glass
  • Twin Rear Aero Spoiler
  • Leather Interior
  • Electric Driver's Seat
  • Heated Front Seats & Steering Wheel
  • Bluetooth Key
  • Navigation
  • 360 Cameras
  • Wireless Phone Charger
  • iSmart with Live Services
Boot is 363L mg4,the kia niro is 451L, hyundia kona 332L, corsa e 309
So it's not the biggest or smallest it in the middle for boot space. We currently have a kona ev 64kWh usable I am hoping mg4 is a true usable 74 kWh. We find the kona is very good the lowest mile we had 290 miles range so far in winter and 292 in the very hot weather.
Currently none of our local dealer have had a car to show use. We are wanting to compare because the kona is hard to beat on battery charging and mileage but it is not perfect rides a bit hard and seating a bit awkward.due to the raised floor.
We sat in the Honda and the raised floor is a real issue
Hopefully mg4, mg one will meet our needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
We currently have a kona ev 64kw usable I am hoping mg4 is a true usable 74 kw. We find the kona is very good the lowest mile we had 290 miles range so far in winter and 292 in the very hot weather.
I think 🤔 that those numbers have got a bit confused.
In general MG are a little less efficient than the SK cars which give very high miles/kWh. But the Kona looks a less efficient shape than the MG4 so it may be closer than before. I believe that the way the battery capacity is quoted is different so that the MG usable figure will be slightly less, perhaps you are better waiting for the extended range model.

I think 🤔 that those numbers have got a bit confused.
In general MG are a little less efficient than the SK cars which give very high miles/kWh. But the Kona looks a less efficient shape than the MG4 so it may be closer than before. I believe that the way the battery capacity is quoted is different so that the MG usable figure will be slightly less, perhaps you are better waiting for the extended range model.
When we went into the dealership to look at the new ZS EV the dealer said that the new one was a lot more efficient than the original ZS EV, which is what we currently have. He said "you might be in the original one and the GOM says 150 miles remaining and you know that you'll be lucky to do 120, but with the new one, if it says 150, then that's what it will probably do". This sounded to me like dealer bull, and took no allowance of driving style and driving conditions. You would hope though that these things get more accurate as technology develops.

When we went into the dealership to look at the new ZS EV the dealer said that the new one was a lot more efficient than the original ZS EV, which is what we currently have. He said "you might be in the original one and the GOM says 150 miles remaining and you know that you'll be lucky to do 120, but with the new one, if it says 150, then that's what it will probably do". This sounded to me like dealer bull, and took no allowance of driving style and driving conditions. You would hope though that these things get more accurate as technology develops.

Stuff like this really irks me, as I’m sure that dealer had no qualms selling the original ZS quoting the official range until the new model came out.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 542 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back