MG4 (heatpump) only blowing cold air when using iSmart.

GameZone

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Most of you are probably British owners, and doesn't have the MG4 with the heat pump, but I'll ask anyway. When driving the car it will blow hot air, but it will require the AC to be on when using the heat pump edition, otherwise it won't blow hot air. That fine, but when I activate pre heating trough iSmart it's only blowing cold air for 10 minutes. Any idea what could cause this? My dealer didn't know, so they opened a support case, but haven't heard back from them yet.

I've tried adjusting the temperature in HVAC trough iSmart without luck. I've also noticed that other MG's like the ZS have more heat options in iSmart compared to the M4.

If you're definitely sending the temperature to the car from the app after turning on the pre-heat, and selecting HI, there has got to be a fault, I think.

If you're definitely sending the temperature to the car from the app after turning on the pre-heat, and selecting HI, there has got to be a fault, I think.
Yes, I've tried HI. I don't think the heat pump is activating using ismart (as it should be possible to hear it working), but I only hear the fan blowing.

I can't comment any further except to say that my car doesn't have a heat pump, and this works. I used it yesterday morning and the car was toasty warm.

I do wonder, though, about how a heat pump would warm a cold car without any motor running. Where is it getting its heat from? This is a disadvantage of ICE cars, where you freeze your bits off until the engine has warmed up enough to get the heater going. ICE cars with a pre-heat function actually have to start their engines, I believe. (I've never had a car that did that - sounds a bit dangerous, if the car was belching out carbon monoxide in a closed garage.)

So I'm struggling to see how a heat pump alone in an EV could actually provide a pre-heat function. I don't know if the cars with the heat pump also have the directly-powered electric heater that cars without it have. If they don't, I don't see how pre-heat could actually do anything if the heat pump was the only source of heat. If they do have the direct heater as well, maybe yours isn't working, or maybe the app isn't turning it on? How long do you have to drive the car normally before the heater will bow hot?

But I'm only speculating, maybe someone with a car like yours can come along and educate us.

I can't comment any further except to say that my car doesn't have a heat pump, and this works. I used it yesterday morning and the car was toasty warm.

I do wonder, though, about how a heat pump would warm a cold car without any motor running. Where is it getting its heat from? This is a disadvantage of ICE cars, where you freeze your bits off until the engine has warmed up enough to get the heater going. ICE cars with a pre-heat function actually have to start their engines, I believe. (I've never had a car that did that - sounds a bit dangerous, if the car was belching out carbon monoxide in a closed garage.)

So I'm struggling to see how a heat pump alone in an EV could actually provide a pre-heat function. I don't know if the cars with the heat pump also have the directly-powered electric heater that cars without it have. If they don't, I don't see how pre-heat could actually do anything if the heat pump was the only source of heat. If they do have the direct heater as well, maybe yours isn't working, or maybe the app isn't turning it on? How long do you have to drive the car normally before the heater will bow hot?

But I'm only speculating, maybe someone with a car like yours can come along and educate us.
I don't know about your car, but the heat pump will usually warm up the car instantly.

I'm a bit hazy about where it's getting the heat from if the motor isn't providing any, but if it can do that when you're in the car then surely it should be able to do it remotely?

I'm a bit hazy about where it's getting the heat from if the motor isn't providing any, but if it can do that when you're in the car then surely it should be able to do it remotely?

The heat sure is there with AC on inside the car, but not there when using ismart.

A heat pump works like AC in reverse so it may be that the AC button activates the heat pump as well. Maybe it uses the same AC system but reverses the flow somehow ?

They shall try to update the ECU for HVAC tomorrow to see if that helps. Do the HVAC have its own ECU or is the ECU for the entire system?

There are several "computers" in the car, and each has its own "software". Some "computers" interact with others, so when one is updated others may need updated at the same time. :)

FWIW, I turned the, fan speed in auto, setting down from high to medium and the air coming through the vents got warm quicker (in auto). I might try it on low tomorrow.

Heat pumps work like a fridge in reverse, they take heat from the air (even when you think it's cold) and produce heat in this case inside the car.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 526 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back