MG4 improvement wish list

well I though it did.

Thought the first setting was more sporadic than intermittent.

ignore me for a bit till I try it again and report back (next time it rains)

I could be talking garbage.
I understand they are speed sensitive i.e. they go faster as the car goes faster not as the rain gets heavier.

Thank you.

Probably why I thought they were rain reactive as I was up and down in speeds on country lanes etc.

Sorry for talking BS everyone 🍺
I think it is poorly worded in the manual. It talks about ”automatic wipe position” when actually it should say intermittent wipe. This confused me also.

5E456438-C4F4-46BF-B55C-A581F25EE4D1.jpeg

Rear wiper.
I really have not had a single issue in a little under a week (320 miles) in all kinds of crappy weather and on A,B,C and unclassified roads. The rear window is not as dirty as the car, at present.

I have applied Rain-ex today on both front and rear screens and have also applied Rain-ex anti fog for inside of the front windscreen. So will see if that was worth it or not.

Last edited:
I really have not had a single issue in a little under a week (320 miles) in all kinds of crappy weather and on A,B,C and unclassified roads. The rear window is not as dirty as the car, at present.

I have applied Rain-ex today on both front and rear screens and have also applied Rain-ex anti fog for inside of the front windscreen. So will see if that was worth it or not.
So, after a couple of weeks what is the verdict? Screens remaining clear?

So, after a couple of weeks what is the verdict? Screens remaining clear?
Really good on external glass, does get a few water marks on the rear screen and I guess i would like a rear wiper, but certainly not essential.

inside fogging up is a work in progress LOL

It does clear quicker, but still battling with the greasy crap left over from the manufacture process 😁

I don't think this thread is designed to argue why they did things, its to express what we would like to see and having the ability to save your settings I assume wouldn't cost anything.
Agreed, I love the car, just annoyed with a few things. Saving driver settings is vital, and can be linked to a specific key or just a simple selection on screen.

So, many people have had a chance to see, drive or take ownership of their MG4 now. Most people seem to agree that it is a fine car and will be in the running for Car of the Year. There have however been a few grumbles about things that wouldn't have cost much but could have made the car even better. Some of these changes might be improvements to software, others would need hardware or design tweaks.

New extended range and Performance AWD models are coming soon and MG are on a roll with new models in the pipeline. Ideally we would have some sort of mechanism to vote or crowd influence, but for now lets use this thread to list improvements you would like to see.

I'll get the ball rolling with some modest suggestions that I'd be happy to pay a bit more for:

• Remember driver preferences for Drive mode, Regeneration Level, Pilot settings etc., or better still
  • Physical buttons or paddles for changing driver mode and regen level
  • Improved attention detection or an ability to turn off warnings
  • Better quality seat material with full vegan leather option (not just fabric base and vegan leather sides)
  • Firmer seat cushion with lumbar support
  • Rear passenger lighting
  • Rear passenger vents
  • Fold down rear armrest and cupholder
  • Grab handles with hook for jacket
  • Curry hook in boot
  • Option for lighter headlining
  • 3 pin plug option in cabin
  • Replace piano black trim with something scratch resistant
  • Recording front and rear cameras
  • Wireless Android Auto / Apple Car Play
  • Option for roof rails/ability to carry load on the roof.
Am sure members will be able to propose additional features for MG to consider.
The list costs 10000£

The list costs 10000£
Itemise please.

If any of these things genuinely costs more than a couple of hundred pounds we'll remove. In most cases the additional cost to the manufacturer would be tens of pounds, if that, per improvement.

My point is that many are happy to pay six or seven hundred pound extra just for a different colour. Many might be happy to spend in this order to get better car?

Or (using your accounting methods) maybe you could propose which of the currently supplied specifications could be removed or downgraded to make the car thousands of pounds cheaper still?

The only thing really that should have that would not put it into iD3 price = rear interior light , this could go above middle rear seat. only needs to be enough for rear passengers to find seat belt slot in the dark.

• Physical buttons or paddles for regen level
I would have loved that. I currently drive a little VW e-up which has a lever to allow you to switch between strong regen and coasting mode and I use that all the time, it's so useful for improving your efficiency.

Can the MG4 be configured to allow the regen modes to be switched via the steering wheel buttons?

Itemise please.

If any of these things genuinely costs more than a couple of hundred pounds we'll remove. In most cases the additional cost to the manufacturer would be tens of pounds, if that, per improvement.

My point is that many are happy to pay six or seven hundred pound extra just for a different colour. Many might be happy to spend in this order to get better car?

Or (using your accounting methods) maybe you could propose which of the currently supplied specifications could be removed or downgraded to make the car thousands of pounds cheaper still?
There are different types of cost:
  • The hardware cost to the manufacturer
  • The labour and production line cost to integrate to the car (often higher than the part itself)
  • The market price customers will pay (typically much higher)

The one that tends to dominate is the last one since why would any manufacturer significantly sell below the market price? (assuming their car is selling well).

The one that stops a lot of features being integrated on low price cars is the installation/production line cost. It is easy to point at the part and say that would only cost them X, but that’s only a small part of the whole story.

I would have loved that. I currently drive a little VW e-up which has a lever to allow you to switch between strong regen and coasting mode and I use that all the time, it's so useful for improving your efficiency.

Can the MG4 be configured to allow the regen modes to be switched via the steering wheel buttons?
I think you can do that in the Trophy, not sure about the SE.

I think you can do that in the Trophy, not sure about the SE.
Yep I have the left Fav as regen mode selection

There are different types of cost:
  • The hardware cost to the manufacturer
  • The labour and production line cost to integrate to the car (often higher than the part itself)
  • The market price customers will pay (typically much higher)

The one that tends to dominate is the last one since why would any manufacturer significantly sell below the market price? (assuming their car is selling well).

The one that stops a lot of features being integrated on low price cars is the installation/production line cost. It is easy to point at the part and say that would only cost them X, but that’s only a small part of the whole story.
Yes and no. In this thread I wasn't arguing that the maker included anything that costs significantly more to manufacture (e.g. larger battery or heat pump).

There is a cost to change things, but at the design stage the cost to integrate slightly thicker and better quality seat material and supportive cushions is no more than the thin, cheaper material. It would have cost MG less to design and fit an under tray that didn't warp or bulge and a transmission that didn't leak, than to take remedial action later.

It is true that manufacturers want there to be clear differentiation between models otherwise they might sell fewer higher spec cars, but adding a rear light or physical buttons to change driving mode to all models would maintain the difference.

I get that MG were determined to undercut rivals but by how much and at what cost is the debating point. They could have cut the spec and quality and sold the car even cheaper. Personally I'd have preferred them to have increased the quality and spec a bit and would have happily paid a bit more for it (potentially giving MG a bigger profit), but how do we have that debate?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back