MG4 improvement wish list

They have to justify the cost of the Trophy somehow.
There are enough things that require additional extra physical elements that better justify that, so adding a software switch that will add cost, to remove functionality, is a bad choice, if that's the thinking.

They could charge a monthly subscription to allow access to the software features standard on the Trophy but not available on the SE models as BMW do for heated seats and steering wheel, and Mercedes are doing for increased performance.

They could charge a monthly subscription to allow access to the software features standard on the Trophy but not available on the SE models as BMW do for heated seats and steering wheel, and Mercedes are doing for increased performance.
Oh god no, car manufacturers should not be encouraged to charge subscription services for a car we've bought. Soon we will be getting told we have to subscribe for car seats ss cars only come standard with driver's seat. An unashamed money grab from a Corp exec at BMW and because some people went for it Mercedes have followed suit.

It's like new mobile phones now that come without chargers under guise of sustainability but really saving millions of cash for the top cats and shareholders. Should be an optional thing and if a customer received phone without one and needs it simply call up to get it sent or some way as some warranties get registered. Anyway I digress, rant over. That one has really been grating on me.

Serious question would/could that invalidate the warranty

My understanding is that avoiding any options has been key to the new factory being able to produce cars at a low price point. It might seem cheap to do some of these but variations from car to car could significantly raise their overall costs. I think this is why there is no SR Trophy.
There is in Thailand.

There's a difference between what the factory will produce and what MG UK are willing to stock. The differences between UK and Europe are interesting, for example the fitting of 17" wheels on the UK SE SR rather than 16" in Europe, but the lack of heat pump in the UK Trophy compared to Europe. The strangest thing is that the UK and European operations have recently been merged.

I think this is why there is no SR Trophy.

There is in Thailand.

Interesting point. There are only two trim levels in Thailand, D and X, both with the battery and motor that the UK has in the SR. For whatever reason, perhaps temperature, there's no LR option. The main differences appear to be the electronics, the twin spoiler and an 11% price premium (similar to the difference between the SE SR and SE LR, or the SE LR and the Trophy in the UK meaning it would be effectively at the SE LR price point). So clearly the factory are making an SR Trophy and it's MG UK choosing not to import it.

So, many people have had a chance to see, drive or take ownership of their MG4 now. Most people seem to agree that it is a fine car and will be in the running for Car of the Year. There have however been a few grumbles about things that wouldn't have cost much but could have made the car even better. Some of these changes might be improvements to software, others would need hardware or design tweaks.

New extended range and Performance AWD models are coming soon and MG are on a roll with new models in the pipeline. Ideally we would have some sort of mechanism to vote or crowd influence, but for now lets use this thread to list improvements you would like to see.

I'll get the ball rolling with some modest suggestions that I'd be happy to pay a bit more for:

• Remember driver preferences for Drive mode, Regeneration Level, Pilot settings etc., or better still
  • Physical buttons or paddles for changing driver mode and regen level
  • Improved attention detection or an ability to turn off warnings
  • Better quality seat material with full vegan leather option (not just fabric base and vegan leather sides)
  • Firmer seat cushion with lumbar support
  • Rear passenger lighting
  • Rear passenger vents
  • Fold down rear armrest and cupholder
  • Grab handles with hook for jacket
  • Curry hook in boot
  • Option for lighter headlining
  • 3 pin plug option in cabin
  • Replace piano black trim with something scratch resistant
  • Recording front and rear cameras
  • Wireless Android Auto / Apple Car Play
  • Option for roof rails/ability to carry load on the roof.
Am sure members will be able to propose additional features for MG to consider.
Love the ‘curry hook’!

Harry are you saying the trophy DOES have rain sensing wipers already? good to know if that's the case

and btw - Personally I thought I would never buy a car without a heated front windscreen having had one for over 35 years on my Fords - I would suggest this on the improvement wish list, but not sure how it would affect range :) :)
I think that heated front windscreens are fantastic, but probably only really useful in an ICE. I would say that in an EV the idea is that you can pre-condition the car - so they would be perhaps an unnessesary addition/cost. Also heating is fairly instantaneous compared to an ICE.
I had ICE with heated windscreens and I haven’t missed them at all since moving to EV’s.

There's a difference between what the factory will produce and what MG UK are willing to stock. The differences between UK and Europe are interesting, for example the fitting of 17" wheels on the UK SE SR rather than 16" in Europe, but the lack of heat pump in the UK Trophy compared to Europe. The strangest thing is that the UK and European operations have recently been merged.
Really. 16 inch rims in Europe. The 17 inch ones look on the small side.

I think that heated front windscreens are fantastic, but probably only really useful in an ICE. I would say that in an EV the idea is that you can pre-condition the car - so they would be perhaps an unnessesary addition/cost. Also heating is fairly instantaneous compared to an ICE.
I had ICE with heated windscreens and I haven’t missed them at all since moving to EV’s.
Oh I would beg to differ. I have a heated windscreen on my Ford Fiesta and it is brilliant. But I can understand that on an EV, it would take a fair degree of battery charge. But it will be sorely missed when I get my MG4.

Oh I would beg to differ. I have a heated windscreen on my Ford Fiesta and it is brilliant. But I can understand that on an EV, it would take a fair degree of battery charge. But it will be sorely missed when I get my MG4.
I thought I would miss heated front screen. We have an MG4 Trophy and a Volvo XC60 which has the heated front screen, same as the Ford system. I prefer defrosting the MG4 vs the Volvo. If I start defrosting both cars at the same time the MG4 is ready before the Volvo. Also I can start the process on the MG4 from inside (except if plugged in and not charging 🙄)

Is there anyway to submit software bugs/issues to MG?

I know they wont but if lane assistance turned on and off with adaptive crusie control on one button as it does in almost every other car I have driven that would be great!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back