MG4 Insurance Issues

So today phoned MG insurance.... 30 minutes on the phone, and they we're only able to offer the 5 days free, couldn't actually quote for the year. Same problem, underwriters cant see the model on the database. Will use the 5 days, then looks like I'll be forced to use Admiral :-(

NFU still haven't got back to me either

So today phoned MG insurance.... 30 minutes on the phone, and they we're only able to offer the 5 days free, couldn't actually quote for the year. Same problem, underwriters cant see the model on the database. Will use the 5 days, then looks like I'll be forced to use Admiral :-(

What's the cooling off period with Admiral? It could be possible to get 14 days pro rata, then cancel and hopefully get a better quote mid October.

What's the cooling off period with Admiral? It could be possible to get 14 days pro rata, then cancel and hopefully get a better quote mid October.
I’ve had to go with admiral as a extortionate cost and this is my plan, hopefully in nearly 2 weeks time more insurers will have it on their database and I’ll get a fair quote / price.

I’ve had to go with admiral as a extortionate cost and this is my plan, hopefully in nearly 2 weeks time more insurers will have it on their database and I’ll get a fair quote / price.
Isn’t it the case that you can cancel anytime? You’d pay about £25 admin fee and get money back? I’m thinking of doing that on the assumption that a new quote in a month or so will be (hopefully) a couple of hundred quid cheaper - I wasn’t expecting car insurance to be three times as expensive as my previous insurance!

I remember seeing this posted which might help when talking to your insurer. Also, they may still have the old MG brand in their database whereas it’s
MG Motor UK now.

Attachments

• 3CF0EA8E-24F4-4571-BE30-969ED634B4E3.png
    3CF0EA8E-24F4-4571-BE30-969ED634B4E3.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 117
For those with Admiral it might be worth trying with a multi cover policy to include home insurance too. I'm paying no more than I was on my 8 year old Mondeo.

I remember seeing this posted which might help when talking to your insurer. Also, they may still have the old MG brand in their database whereas it’s
MG Motor UK now.
There's a sticky thread with this information - right at the top of the thread listings. :)

Aviva and Direct Line were unable to do anything with the ABI numbers. My car reg now comes up with DL but the 4 is still not on their list.

Ended up going with Admiral gold and used the multisavings to add on hoise and contents insurance for about £60. I found a wide variety of pricing for Admiral from £780 on comparethemarket, down to £470 on moneysupermarket, with hopefully another £30 off via quidco. I think I saw a cancellation fee of £25 if within 14 days, or £55 if beyond.

hmmm, could you keep us posted please? I'm with Admiral and didn't notice that on the policy documents.
They eventually said it was alright to use the one with FWD and put a note on my file with the response from the team that confirmed it.

Drive away ends tomorrow so sweating on a callback from NFU or it'll be Admiral unfortunately. Disappointed the direct insurers haven't got it yet.

Hi all I to have been looking into insurance for the MG4 for my wife tried all the usual comparison sites without too much success, several don’t have the car on its databases yet others were not prepared to give a quote until the car was registered, but I did get a quote from Compare the market, which was with Admiral,I also got a very similar quote from the Martin Lewis web site,which when I went onto that it transferred me to the moneysupermarket site which I had tried without success but when doing it via Martins site it then gave me a quote again it was via Admiral, for a very similar cost but I did learn a couple of things which I hope might help others.

When I fill out the on line form on the sites at first I did not of the wifes driving license number which was optional anyway So I left that blank there was I think a £250 compulsory excess and I put 0 zero in the voluntary excess box and the
price came as £648:15 see pic 12AAAE4C7-0AF6-49A4-B2C2-CF908892A79C.jpeg

So I then changed the voluntary excess from 0 to 250 which meant if a claim had to be made she would now have to pay the first £500 out and the reduced accordingly down to £589.24 see pic2 5772394D-F8F1-42B1-AF21-F605E3A03ED5.jpeg
So £58 less.

So when she came home I got her driving license number and put the details of that into the from also leaving the voluntary excess of £250 in there.
And this time it reduced a further £73 see pic 3 i could not believe your driving license number on that form could make that much difference .
B120D43A-0AE5-4ACF-8B7C-A3CD460339A7.jpeg
All of these quotes where via Admiral insurance so not to enhamered with these figures, tried LV not on the data base, direct line the same.
I then remember some one mentioned NFU insurance so went on there webpage and it said I need to telephone them to get a quote this I now did, spoke to a chap called Jamie could not have been more helpful really good he was, so we go though all the questions you would expect to be asked didn’t need her driving license number ! and after about 10-15 minutes he said that the MG4 was not on there list as yet so he put me on hold while he spoke with a broker, that took around 10 minutes then he came back on to say not a problem in giving me a quote but saying that it might change by a small a mount depending on when we got the car, you see one of his the first questions was when did we want the insurance to start which I said I couldn’t say as we have not yet got the car, so we just took a guess at, in about 2 weeks time so he quoted me on that time line,
Anyhow please remember on the phone now so sorry no pictures to show so

Fully comp
2 drivers both full and clean licenses both mid 70s
No claims in the last 5 years so full NCD bonus
Zero excess both compulsory and voluntary couldn’t believe that.
Full RAC cover to which I said sorry don’t need that as the car comes with AA cover, but he told me the cover was included and could not be removed so I said OK carry on
Their policy also as 2 yes 2 years cover for if the car is written off or stolen it would be replace with a new car, never had that before have know that before but it was only for 1 year unbelievable I thought and the price £447.30.far happier now

I asked if I was to add a £250 excess on would that reduced the premium any and he look at it and said yes about £23
Anyhow I hope this might help some of you in your efforts to get insurance on the MG4
Les

Last edited:
Hi all I to have been looking into insurance for the MG4 for my wife tried all the usual comparison sites without too much success, several don’t have the car on its databases yet others were not prepared to give a quote until the car was registered, but I did get a quote from Compare the market, which was with Admiral,I also got a very similar quote from the Martin Lewis web site,which when I went onto that it transferred me to the moneysupermarket site which I had tried without success but when doing it via Martins site it then gave me a quote again it was via Admiral, for a very similar cost but I did learn a couple of things which I hope might help others.

When I fill out the on line form on the sites at first I did not of the wifes driving license number which was optional anyway So I left that blank there was I think a £250 compulsory excess and I put 0 zero in the voluntary excess box and the
price came as £648:15 see pic 1View attachment 11557

So I then changed the voluntary excess from 0 to 250 which meant if a claim had to be made she would now have to pay the first £500 out and the reduced accordingly down to £589.24 see pic2 View attachment 11558
So £58 less.

So when she came home I got her driving license number and put the details of that into the from also leaving the voluntary excess of £250 in there.
And this time it reduced a further £73 see pic 3 i could not believe your driving license number on that form could make that much difference .
View attachment 11559
All of these quotes where via Admiral insurance so not to enhamered with these figures, tried LV not on the data base, direct line the same.
I then remember some one mentioned NFU insurance so went on there webpage and it said I need to telephone them to get a quote this I now did, spoke to a chap called Jamie could not have been more helpful really good he was, so we go though all the questions you would expect to be asked didn’t need her driving license number ! and after about 10-15 minutes he said that the MG4 was not on there list as yet so he put me on hold while he spoke with a broker, that took around 10 minutes then he came back on to say not a problem in giving me a quote but saying that it might change by a small a mount depending on when we got the car, you see one of his the first questions was when did we want the insurance to start which I said I couldn’t say as we have not yet got the car, so we just took a guess at, in about 2 weeks time so he quoted me on that time line,
Anyhow please remember on the phone now so sorry no pictures to show so

Fully comp
2 drivers both full and clean licenses both mid 70s
No claims in the last 5 years so full NCD bonus
Zero excess both compulsory and voluntary couldn’t believe that.
Full RAC cover to which I said sorry don’t need that as the car comes with AA cover, but he told me the cover was included and could not be removed so I said OK carry on
Their policy also as 2 yes 2 years cover for if the car is written off or stolen it would be replace with a new car, never had that before have know that before but it was only for 1 year unbelievable I thought and the price £447.30.far happier now

I asked if I was to add a £250 excess on would that reduced the premium any and he look at it and said yes about £23
Anyhow I hope this might some of you in your efforts to get insurance on th MG4
Les
Sounds good, I was pleased with NFU - fair bit more expensive for me than you, due to many factors I'm sure, but the level of cover is very good.

They also don't charge any extra if you want to pay monthly :)

Unfortunately NFU were almost double my Admiral quote via CTM.
Well Able, that doesn’t surprise me and it’s very possible with insurance as ther are so many variables, one being you live in Scotland and I’m in northwest England for a start, so everyone’s quote will be different I was mainly try to show the quite large affect to cost something as small as. Driving license number can make on a quote from an insurance company can make
Les

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel