MG4 Lane assist, speed assist keep resetting

So, as MG didn't reply to my email about there "lovely" Lane Keeping Assist software I wrote to Euro NCAPS not really expecting a response. However I was pleasantly surprised as not only did they reply but they indicated that they recognised the issue and were in discussions with MG. Here is the reply from the email. I removed the guys name for data privacy, but you can easily contact them via their website (LSS = LKA):

Thank you very much for contacting us on this.

Euro NCAP indeed requires the Lane Support System to be default ON for a part of the points. For information, this will be required by regulation as well.

Euro NCAP is also not impressed by the aggressiveness of the LSS system and we are in liaison with MG to resolve the issue.
Lets hope it gets sorted VERY VERY SOON, our 6 week old MG4 Trophy LR suffers with an aggressive jerk if we get too close to a white line, it also happens occasionally when the system thinks we are too close to the edge of the road on the nearside on our country roads, it's way too aggressive. I have switchable LKA on my Hyundai Tucson, but the action is FAR smoother, although I keep it switched off, I, Like so many others wish we could do that on the MG4, or at least assign it to one of the steering wheel buttons.

Just a heads up, there is an update to the LKA which I had done to my car a week after I took delivery (1st Week Jan 2023) which softens LKA. I recommend that you go back to dealership and ask for this. It doesn't remove the fact that LKA is unpleasant to drive with but it does make it less aggressive and dangerous and so if I forget to turn it off I can still drive the car to somewhere safe to disable it again.

Another heads up, if you set LKA to be off or "alert" and then get out of the car for a moment to say shut the door you forgot to shut, when you get in the car it will appear that you setting is still in place but as soon as you set the car to drive it will reset back to default. You will need to put the car in to drive then park and reset the LKA.

Another heads up, you only get to see the LKA menu after you have got in to the car and put your foot on the brake peddle.

Hope this helps
YES, a VERY annoying feature!

yes have it available on our cars for safety purposes but we shouldn’t be forced to have it activated if we don’t like. Turning it off whilst driving given the sequence needed to do so is actually a safety risk in itself!
Unfortunately that doesn’t matter, if manufacturers want five stars from NCAP they have to have it on when the car starts.

Their hands are tied because not getting five ncap stars makes their cars less desirable to the public because they don’t care about the details of the test, just that their car has five stars.

Lets hope it gets sorted VERY VERY SOON, our 6 week old MG4 Trophy LR suffers with an aggressive jerk if we get too close to a white line, it also happens occasionally when the system thinks we are too close to the edge of the road on the nearside on our country roads, it's way too aggressive. I have switchable LKA on my Hyundai Tucson, but the action is FAR smoother, although I keep it switched off, I, Like so many others wish we could do that on the MG4, or at least assign it to one of the steering wheel buttons.
They should just revoke MG's safety stars so MG have nothing to lose by making us permanently disable it.

Unfortunately that doesn’t matter, if manufacturers want five stars from NCAP they have to have it on when the car starts.

Their hands are tied because not getting five ncap stars makes their cars less desirable to the public because they don’t care about the details of the test, just that their car has five stars.

NCAP should be made to split their tests into sections. Buyers should be able to see how the car's structure performs above all else, the nanny aids should be listed separately IMO.

Yes, preventing a crash is much better than having one and hoping to survive it but I really don't think these systems do much for safety in their current form.

Read the road ahead and expect the unexpected. Don't tailgate. Adjust your speed to suit the conditions and surroundings regardless of the posted limit.

I think a little consideration and common sense achieves far more than these driving 'aids' ever will, trouble is how can you enforce that ? :confused:

NCAP should be made to split their tests into sections.
They literally do and always have done. Official MG 4 Electric 2022 safety rating

People are just too thick to look at more than the surface level, goes for most things in life.

I think a little consideration and common sense achieves far more than these driving 'aids' ever will, trouble is how can you enforce that ? :confused:
Make the test harder, the car test should be as hard as the current bike test.

Make it so you have to be reevaluated every 5-10 years.

Stricter penalties for things like driving with undue care and attention, and much harsher ones for road rage and tailgating. Along with fines for holding up traffic, such as hogging motorway lanes.

Anyone who passed before the theory test gets an extra test around the Highway Code.

Anyone who passed 20+ years ago also undergoes a stricter assessment in line with the new test standard.

Introduce a reaction time and general awareness test for drivers over 60.

Not only will this improve driving standards it will also stimulate the economy and make insurance cheaper, you’re welcome. If people didn’t want it, they would obey the existing rules.

Adding these assistance features to cars is the market trying to fix this mess, and we all know how well that works.

Last edited:
NCAP should be made to split their tests into sections. Buyers should be able to see how the car's structure performs above all else, the nanny aids should be listed separately IMO.

I Agree Les

Yes, preventing a crash is much better than having one and hoping to survive it but I really don't think these systems do much for safety in their current form.

I Agree Les
I

Read the road ahead and expect the unexpected. Don't tailgate. Adjust your speed to suit the conditions and surroundings regardless of the posted limit.

I Agree TOTALLY Les

Click the expand tab above for full reply

100% Agree
Les

This is true - when Renault released a version of the Zoe without all the expensive assistance kit and fewer airbags it scored zero stars and there were negative headlines enough to frighten many people off.

I agree about retesting drivers at regular intervals.

I know as I get older my abilities will decrease although my experience increases but I think the idea that I can self-certify because I passed a test 40 or 50 years ago is crazy.

I know as I get older my abilities will decrease although my experience increases but I think the idea that I can self-certify because I passed a test 40 or 50 years ago is crazy.
Especially a vehicle is a potential deadly weapon.

I was nearly run down the other day by some old duffer on the pedestrian crossing at Waitrose in his massive Jag SUV. Literally looked right at me in the zebra crossing and headed straight for me. Didn’t stop either, it was very, very close. Must’ve been in his late 60s. I see this sort of thing a lot where I live.

Late 60s isn't old, really.

It's the young, new drivers that are the worst (in my experience) - showing off to their mates before they've got the skill and experience to be able to do it.

Late 60s isn't old, really.

It's the young, new drivers that are the worst (in my experience) - showing off to their mates before they've got the skill and experience to be able to do it.
It’s old enough to have your reaction times and judgement decline, and you might not realise it.

As for younger people, my first point about making the test harder stands. For the bike test you have to demonstrate you can regain control your vehicle when you lose control, the same should apply for four wheels.

It’s a fairly outdated view now any way, given a lot of people who pass now can’t even get insured to drive without a black box and/or a speed limiter on the vehicle. Your view doesn’t apply to the current generation passing their test, more millienials and older. I have people in their late teens and early 20s working for me who have vastly different attitudes to road safety and driving quickly than myself and friends did at the same age.

Last edited:
I seem to remember reading here and recently in the motoring section of my newspaper that the safety devices are EU-mandated and although the UK is not in the EU it has adopted the requirements. The NCAP rating shows their assessment of whether the safety features are present and how good they are.

I had to renew my driving licence about three weeks ago, and all they asked about was health and eyesight. When I said I didn't need glasses to drive I got a "that's not the same as the information we hold for you" message, but when I over-rode it, that was accepted. (I suppose they get a lot of people who have had eye surgery.)

My mother was blithely telling them her eyesight was OK while she was being treated for glaucoma. I made her fess up when she was doing the form in my presence, and they contacted her ophthalmologist then took her licence away. She wasn't best pleased but I was relieved. (She wasn't actually driving anyway, but honestly!) But if I hadn't been there she'd have gone right on not mentioning the glaucoma and who would have known?

It’s old enough to have your reaction times and judgement decline, and you might not realise it.

As for younger people, my first point about making the test harder stands. For the bike test you have to demonstrate you can regain control your vehicle when you lose control, the same should apply for four wheels.

It’s a fairly outdated view now any way, given a lot of people who pass now can’t even get insured to drive without a black box and/or a speed limiter on the vehicle. Your view doesn’t apply to the current generation passing their test, more millienials and older. I have people in their late teens and early 20s working for me who have vastly different attitudes to road safety and driving quickly than myself and friends did at the same age.

Your first point for some I might agree but not for all.

On your second point there is no comparison between a motorcycle and a 4 wheel car in regards to controlling them, I have had my full motorcycle license for 60 years and my car the same about a month apart. I can and do still ride a bike now and again true not that often nowadays but I drive a car of some type everyday and not just short distances, and in them 60 yrs had 1non fault minor accidents and one major 20 plus years ago, again non fault.

Controlling vehicles you quote, this thread is about the vehicles taking control LKA in particular, this in vehicles as a safety item absolute Rubbish in my view it should never have been fitted unless it could do a job without any issues of any kind, and I don’t see that happening in any vehicles for so time to come

With regards to getting insurance a lot of this is down to the amount of accidents inexperienced drivers are involved in for many reasons.

So I will leave this subject alone from here onwards so as not to tempt Providence if you know what I mean, and also in the hope we can all do the same and get back on the thread which was,

MG4 Lane assist and Speed assist was it not.
Les.

Last edited:

I’ve always thought my year with motorcycles before passing the car driving test about 57 years ago stood me in good stead. I gained an acute perception of the road surfaces and conditions and the “ body language “ of the vehicles around me.

They literally do and always have done. Official MG 4 Electric 2022 safety rating

People are just too thick to look at more than the surface level, goes for most things in life.

Make the test harder, the car test should be as hard as the current bike test.

Make it so you have to be reevaluated every 5-10 years.

Stricter penalties for things like driving with undue care and attention, and much harsher ones for road rage and tailgating. Along with fines for holding up traffic, such as hogging motorway lanes.

Anyone who passed before the theory test gets an extra test around the Highway Code.

Anyone who passed 20+ years ago also undergoes a stricter assessment in line with the new test standard.

Introduce a reaction time and general awareness test for drivers over 60.

Not only will this improve driving standards it will also stimulate the economy and make insurance cheaper, you’re welcome. If people didn’t want it, they would obey the existing rules.

Adding these assistance features to cars is the market trying to fix this mess, and we all know how well that works.
A police motorcycle cop who gave our club a talk said the easiest way to prevent 99% of RTAs would be to get rid of seat belts and air bags and to replace them with a 6" nail in the centre of the steering wheel pointing towards you...

On your second point there is no comparison between a motorcycle and a 4 wheel car in regards to controlling them, I have had my full motorcycle license for 60 years and my car the same about a month apart. I can and do still ride a bike now and again true not that often nowadays but I drive a car of some type everyday and not just short distances, and in them 60 yrs had 1non fault minor accidents and one major 20 plus years ago, again non fault.
You entirely missed the point I was making here. Think again about what I’m saying.

What to do in the case of loss of control of any vehicle should be taught and be part of the assessment if you’re proficient enough to pilot it.

Which is part of the modern bike test, but not the car test. Other counties do it.

Last edited:
A police motorcycle cop who gave our club a talk said the easiest way to prevent 99% of RTAs would be to get rid of seat belts and air bags and to replace them with a 6" nail in the centre of the steering wheel pointing towards you...
Aye but not a really sharp one eh

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 509 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel