MG4 Lane keep assist

That is another instance where I agree it would be dangerous, but also find it odd that a narrow road has the lane markers if it is essentially only wide enough for one vehicle roads near me of this type don't have markers on them except at the junctions.

Quite common in some areas

I'm in favour of LKA, if it works though! We risked a few accidents because of it, I really hope it'll stay off. Although, what's the point of getting a car with so many safety features of they do the opposite? :cautious:

I'm in favour of LKA, if it works though! We risked a few accidents because of it, I really hope it'll stay off. Although, what's the point of getting a car with so many safety features of they do the opposite? :cautious:
I dislike LKA . I want to steer the car , lane markings are not always the best or even safest route for the car to take. We drive cars not get driven. Emergency braking yes, traction control yes, but steering should not be controlled by computer and cameras. Let us drive . Please.

Does anyone have the same problem as I do with Lane Keep Assist I have to turn mine off before I set off it tries to pull my car quiet violently either the centre line or near side line I can not just hold the steering wheel gently
To all who have lane keep assist on MG4 Sadly you will after every journey have to go through the routine of turning it off AGAIN unless MG can do an OTA on our MG4s I can only hope. Tony

To all who have lane keep assist on MG4 Sadly you will after every journey have to go through the routine of turning it off AGAIN unless MG can do an OTA on our MG4s I can only hope. Tony
Tony, this was fixed by my dealer with an update in November, it stays off. Your dealer should be able to sort this.

Last edited:
I dislike LKA . I want to steer the car , lane markings are not always the best or even safest route for the car to take. We drive cars not get driven. Emergency braking yes, traction control yes, but steering should not be controlled by computer and cameras. Let us drive . Please.

I dislike LKA in the MG4 (and most cars I’ve driven to date) because it is not fit for purpose but I’m not against it per se. I like the idea of automation to be used but only when I decide I want it. For example, the ACC I mostly enjoy using on my commute though it still has some rough edges. There’s an interesting video linked below showing where Tesla are up to on self driving. What was interesting to me was how stressful Marques Brownlee was finding the experience which is probably the opposite of what is intended! I know some will hate this sort of tech but I find it intriguing, I would love to have the choice of a reliable type of “Full Self Driving“ system that I can use when I want and lets me seamlessly switch between (safe and reliable) automation and full driver control.

The whole Tesla ethos was around autonomous driving. The lack of physical controls and the minimalistic approach all part of this strategy.
Sadly, even after many Years, it’s still a long way from where it needs to be - kudos for trying and breaking new ground, but it has a long way to go.
The early Tesla had some alarming faults - heavy phantom breaking at high speed being one of the most terrifying.
I find it unusual that some manufacturers can produce effective automation much better than others.
For example, my experience of Kia automatic wipers is very positive, BMW/Tesla on the other hand not so great (Tesla auto wipers in the early days were completely unusable).
Automatic wipers have now been around for decades and still some manufacturers struggle to get them to an acceptable level. You’d think that this wasn’t so difficult to do.

My MG ZS MG Pilot was overall not too bad, but quite abrupt/quick steering when making steering corrections, which wasn‘t confidence inspiring.
Kia LKA is also a pain and defaults to ‘on‘ after an every start. It doesn’t jerk the steering that forcefully but it’s not really that effective in identifying markings and when travelling along narrower roads.
It seems crazy that manufacturers can include safety items that are passed and approved by NCAP, when in the real world they do not perform well at all, and can in some instances even create a hazardous situation or even an incident.
I wonder if NCAP legislators actual drive cars regularly fitted with this technology and think they have got it right?
It‘s also interesting looking at all the professional car reviews, where they quickly mention LKA and then that it can be turned off - nearly all reviewers find it at best irritating.
Safety aids are the future, they just need to be better and like the best referees be invisible working in the background until they are really needed to intervene.

It's a well know gripe, unfortunately there isn't a standard response or state of play with all the cars.
Updates seem to have done different things to different owners cars.
There have been numerous threads on this, and MG don't do OTA updates, unfortunately

One info for me: Is it possible to configure the disabling of Lane keep assist with one shortcut/programmable button on the wheel?

Short answer - No. I don't think the Trophy (Luxury) offers that as a button allocation option ... but maybe an actual Trophy owner can confirm?

I agree. I too live in a rural area with narrow roads and LKA is downright dangerous.

I understand if software update released on 13-12 is installed then you can no longer turn off LKA. Im led to believe it’s a NCAP ruling
I've had my car for a week and almost crashed the vehicle on three occasions when LKA decided to reactivate after I turned it off, on one occasion I had to fight to stop the vehicle ploughing into a coned off area. I eventually stopping it reactivating after turn off by switching to ACC for TJA in Cruise Control of all places, but I still have to remember to deactivate it each time I start the car. Why having this permanently on is considered safer is beyond me. It is unquestionably dangerous. Right now the vehicle is back at the garage to have an update that is supposed to make LKA less aggressive. I had Lane Assist on my VW Tiguan for 4yrs, it provided a gentle pull on the steering wheel and was useful. This iteration of LKA should be disabled until it can be made safe. If this update makes a difference I'll make on a note on this trail of notes.

I've had my car for a week and almost crashed the vehicle on three occasions when LKA decided to reactivate after I turned it off, on one occasion I had to fight to stop the vehicle ploughing into a coned off area. I eventually stopping it reactivating after turn off by switching to ACC for TJA in Cruise Control of all places, but I still have to remember to deactivate it each time I start the car. Why having this permanently on is considered safer is beyond me. It is unquestionably dangerous. Right now the vehicle is back at the garage to have an update that is supposed to make LKA less aggressive. I had Lane Assist on my VW Tiguan for 4yrs, it provided a gentle pull on the steering wheel and was useful. This iteration of LKA should be disabled until it can be made safe. If this update makes a difference I'll make on a note on this trail of notes.

I think everyone should be reporting this to the DVSA where possible to light a fire under MG and have them moving faster. Their response rate have been shameful thus far with keeping the community updated on fixes.

The locking in issue was reported to DVSA, there was even a police report backing up an incident.
This hasn't resulted in and type of recall to do the update to fix this. Some dealers still claim to have no knowledge of the issue. MG are selling every car they bring in, they obviously don't care

Short answer - No. I don't think the Trophy (Luxury) offers that as a button allocation option ... but maybe an actual Trophy owner can confirm?
I have a trophy but you dont get that as an option I am afraid here is how it looks

Attachments

• 684F3884-7AE7-4497-B80B-BBECE2B6B779.jpeg
    684F3884-7AE7-4497-B80B-BBECE2B6B779.jpeg
    392.3 KB · Views: 130
Okay so I have my MG4 EV back from the dealership the dealership said "Confirmed issue with lane assistance being aggressive, requires TSB AS-22-TB059 action and reset" basically the engineer said it almost pulled him off the road and it was scary. They did the update and recalibration of the radar. I can now drive the car with Lane Keeping Assist activated. It still pulls unnecessarily and certainly does not "assist" but is less annoying and frightening. I still turn it off if I remember but if I forget it can be driven. I did a few tests on it. It tries to pull into roads where there is no white line marking the edge of the road. I think it follows the curb. It still fights if you pull out to overtake or pull in after overtaking, I thought it was supposed to disengage when the indicator was on but it seems inconsistent, it may be I turned the indicator off too soon so it reengaged, but I was trying to watch the traffic at the time. And finally, travelling at 70 on a clear dual carriageway with a slight bend I held the wheel lightly to see where the LKA would take me, it zigzagged between the lane boundaries once then threw me into the the far side lane. Obviously I took immediate control, my hands not leaving the steering wheel and I didn't enter the adjacent lane. So I think we can conclude that this fix simply sorts out the aggression in the system not the problem with functionality.

Incidentally, the dealership also checked all recalls relating to my model of which there were no further ones and also fixed a problem with the heating turning off that was a known problem and relates to a lose screw on the fuse board. So If your heating is turning off for no apparent reason you can get it fixed.

Last edited:
Tony, this was fixed by my dealer with an update in November, it stays off. Your dealer should be able to sort this.
Can i ask which dealership ?
I called my one they said there is no way they can disable it for good. You will have to disengage before every single journey.

But surprisingly they said noone has raised any written complaints about it.

I did :)

Out of interest, on the zs you can set the LKA to vibrate (or give audible warning) rather than pull the steering wheel. Is this not an option on the MG4? If it is, can this be the default? Just wondering.

Out of interest, on the zs you can set the LKA to vibrate (or give audible warning) rather than pull the steering wheel. Is this not an option on the MG4? If it is, can this be the default? Just wondering.
It is offered as an option but when I selected it it still pulled and didn't vibrate before the update. I'll have a look and see if this update has made that option work, if it has I'll post it here. Thanks for the suggestion.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back