MG4 Lane keep assist

The new update has "Alert" "LKA" and "ELK"

And that LSS document I shared stated ELK had to default to on, prior to this update ELK and LKA were one and the same function as far as the infotainment interface were concerned.
Sorry if I’m missing something obvious.
Version 4.0 feb 2022 - Under section 6.2 it talks about setting the driver configurable elements of LKA - It says nothing here about these settings being the default or auto-on. LKA is driver configured prior to the tests with no default values suggested, just the values used for the tests.
Section 7.2 in version 4.0 looks the same as section 7.2 in previous documents (version 2.0 June 2017 for example) - I can’t see why it is now considered auto on when it wasn’t before?
(It’s only on cars 2022 onwards that this default-on function seems to be applied.)
The wording in section 7.2 is subject to different interpretations. Also there is nowhere in the test criterion that provides a test that certifies that auto-on after a restart has been tested and functions in accordance with requirements - which are in themselves no clear.
what do you think?

Hi Cociijo, according to my dealership, the change to a default setting was done as a requirement by the UK authorities who insisted it was so in order to pass some certification and was done in the later part of 2022. But I haven't any reference to it so may others can advise. Regardless LKA will default to its highest interactive setting when you re-start you vehicle and there is no option to set it as a preferred setting. There are several other settings that are like that for instance set it to ECO and it will revert to NORMAL, set regen to ADAPTIVE and it will default to MAXIMUM.

Hi Cociijo, according to my dealership, the change to a default setting was done as a requirement by the UK authorities who insisted it was so in order to pass some certification and was done in the later part of 2022. But I haven't any reference to it so may others can advise. Regardless LKA will default to its highest interactive setting when you re-start you vehicle and there is no option to set it as a preferred setting. There are several other settings that are like that for instance set it to ECO and it will revert to NORMAL, set regen to ADAPTIVE and it will default to MAXIMUM.
Thank you. Irritating as eco and regen can be, at least they can’t put you into a ditch or worse!

It should have been done as part of the dealerships PDI of the car. It has to be done at the dealership as any possible future OTA' s will be nav/infotainment and not control software related. Talk to you dealership.

Picked the car up last week. When was the update? Is it an OTA update or do I need to do something?
It will be interesting to know how MG and dealers in Sweden treat you, hopefully not like the majority of them in the UK.
Hopefully you don't have any issues but please keep us updated regarding results of any issues reported to them such as oil leaks and software problems.

Picked the car up last week. When was the update? Is it an OTA update or do I need to do something?
I had the update done last December, I think. You can see the settings you get after the update in post #110 a page or so back (sorry, don't know how to link to specific posts!), so you'll know if you've got it or not.

Sorry to piggyback on this. We are due to get our SE SR in May and I could do with some advice on default settings. I have been told be the dealer that any available, latest 2023 software updates will be installed before we take delivery. As my wife will also drive the car, I need to be confident that it's going to be safe for her to drive as she is less likely to be bothered to change settings before driving. I know there are issues with LKA but what other basic settings are turned on by default. Things like adaptive cruise, driving mode, Lane Keep Assist etc. I need to be confident that she can just get in the thing and drive it without worrying what she "hasn't" turned off.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

With the software updates involved seemingly giving a different result with many owners here I suggest that before taking delivery that you start the car and turn off things you do not want, like perhaps LKA, TJA, driving mode etc. then shut the car down and restart it and check the screen to see whether any or all of those 'features' remain disabled or come back on again by default and if they do ask the salesperson how you disable them permanently as you just want your wife to hop in and drive off without the worry of disabling these items at every restart.

With the software updates involved seemingly giving a different result with many owners here I suggest that before taking delivery that you start the car and turn off things you do not want, like perhaps LKA, TJA, driving mode etc. then shut the car down and restart it and check the screen to see whether any or all of those 'features' remain disabled or come back on again by default and if they do ask the salesperson how you disable them permanently as you just want your wife to hop in and drive off without the worry of disabling these items at every restart.
You cannot disable LKA between restarts with the latest software. This is by design and MG have no plans to change it. Their 5 star NCAP also depends on it being active on restart. The only reason some stay off is that they are on old software.

You cannot disable LKA between restarts with the latest software. This is by design and MG have no plans to change it. Their 5 star NCAP also depends on it being active on restart. The only reason some stay off is that they are on old software.
Yep...that is what I have read here from others which is a real pain in the butt as many here consider LKA dangerous and have to remember to disable it through the screen at each restart. That alone would be a deal breaker for me as my wife also drives and should not have to worry about disabling things like this before every restart.
MG may consider that it is a safety feature but it seems to be the opposite from reports and LKA and other 'features' can be disabled permanently in any ICE car I have been involved with including my current SUV which has all the 'bells and whistles' available on the MG4.
Still keen on EV's, just having second thoughts about the MG4. :unsure:

Last edited:
Yep...that is what I have read here from others which is a real pain in the butt as many here consider LKA dangerous and have to remember to disable it through the screen at each restart. That alone would be a deal breaker for me as my wife also drives and should not have to worry about things like this before every restart.
Couldn’t agree more. It’s a dreadful “feature.”

Yep...that is what I have read here from others which is a real pain in the butt as many here consider LKA dangerous and have to remember to disable it through the screen at each restart. That alone would be a deal breaker for me as my wife also drives and should not have to worry about disabling things like this before every restart.
MG may consider that it is a safety feature but it seems to be the opposite from reports and LKA and other 'features' can be disabled permanently in any ICE car I have been involved with including my current SUV which has all the 'bells and whistles' available on the MG4.
Still keen on EV's, just having second thoughts about the MG4. :unsure:
I take it that all UK sold EV's have it switched on as standard if it is a safety regulations issue. So does that me it is simply poorly executed on the MG4? Does it work on the MG5 & ZS? Sorry to mix topics here and I know it's on this new MSP platform but as this isn't MG's first EV, why didn't they simply take all the best bits and experience gained from previous models and apply them to the MG4? Does the MG5 and ZS have gearbox oil leaks? Do they both suffer from "the bulge"!!! It just seems like MG threw the " if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" mantra in the bin on the MG4 and quite literally tried to reinvent the wheel.

Defaults on, on my Megane works as it should, so not poor on all

Defaults on, on my Megane works as it should, so not poor on all
Yep, I would imagine that LKA works fine with the vast majority of other vehicles EV or ICE in that it can easily be overridden by the driver.
This MG4 'feature' may be great on the highway but not so great in some small suburbs with narrow roads and with cars parked both sides where there may be instances when you need to veer to the centre of the road (safely) to avoid hitting parked cars and the car wants to fight with you.
Easy to say to just turn it off as you approach this situation but I would imagine that it would be hard (and dangerous) to negotiate the menu on the screen and try and disable it whilst driving.
I have it turned off however in my current ICE SUV and it stays off but I leave the Lane Keeping Warning enabled as all this does is vibrate the steering wheel if you wander to the centre line or towards the edge of the road and you can adjust the intensity of it. Also you can turn off both LKA and LKW by a button on the end of the indicator stalk.
If you could just have this alone in the MG4 it would be great.

Last edited:
I got my Trophy in December and REALLY had to turn it (Lka) off. Just to warn everyone my MG4 does exactly the same thing as my old Ioniq, that is, when a vehicle of any size slowly takes a slip road to the left the vehicle you're in decides to automatically brake very harshly. Has happened dozens of times. I like to drive to the current speed limit using the cruise control (loads of enforced 20mph zones in my part of the world) and whilst my Ioniq used to drop out of cruise control at 5mph, I'm slowly getting used to the fact that the MG4 doesn't drop out but brings your car to a nice stop and then continues to follow the traffic after coming to a standstill. There's a little bit of lag starting off automatically so does anyone know how to get the car to be a bit more responsive? Without just going back to pressing the accelerator

I got my Trophy in December and REALLY had to turn it (Lka) off. Just to warn everyone my MG4 does exactly the same thing as my old Ioniq, that is, when a vehicle of any size slowly takes a slip road to the left the vehicle you're in decides to automatically brake very harshly. Has happened dozens of times. I like to drive to the current speed limit using the cruise control (loads of enforced 20mph zones in my part of the world) and whilst my Ioniq used to drop out of cruise control at 5mph, I'm slowly getting used to the fact that the MG4 doesn't drop out but brings your car to a nice stop and then continues to follow the traffic after coming to a standstill. There's a little bit of lag starting off automatically so does anyone know how to get the car to be a bit more responsive? Without just going back to pressing the accelerator
That's the only way to make ACC more responsive from standstill.

But this proves that the MG4 can do 1-pedal driving - it's just a software configuration that prevents it from happening without ACC being engaged. :)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back