MG4 Last decision

Tarek

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Hey fellow forum members,

I'm excited to join the MG community and have finally made up my mind to buy the MG4. I even have the quotation in my hand! However, after spending hours reading through numerous threads and discussions, I've started to have some cold feet.

Recently, my local dealer surprised me with some interesting offers on two other EV models: the Renault Megane EV and the Kona EV. They're offering just 15-20% extra on the price of these vehicles. Now, I'm feeling confused all over again and don't want to go through the entire research process once more.

Since this is my first EV purchase after selling my ICE vehicle four months ago, I really value the insights and experiences of those who have thoroughly tried these vehicles or conducted in-depth research. Could anyone who has hands-on experience with the MG4, Renault Megane EV, or Kona EV provide some advice on my decision?

I'm specifically looking for feedback on factors like reliability, performance, driving experience, charging infrastructure, and any other considerations that might help me make an informed choice. Your input would be immensely appreciated as I navigate this exciting transition into the world of EVs.

Thank you all in advance for your valuable assistance!

There are two or three threads dealing with this issue, because you're not the first person to say this. The consensus is that most people are happy with their cars, often loving them to bits, and that every car forum turns up niggles and annoyances that people moan about.

Some people have been sold lemons. Whether this is a higher proportion than with other makes I don't know. But most cars - especially those being delivered now - are not lemons.

I'll see if I can find these threads for you.

I did the same as you, lots of research. Watched lots of reviews on YouTube, at the end of the day it really came down to value and nothing came close to the MG4. I really enjoyed the test drive and placed an order after a lot of deliberation.

However I only joined this forum after I placed the order and after reading many of the posts here I came close to cancelling it. There is a heavy air of negativity in a lot of the posts on here that I wouldnt blame anyone having second thoughts after reading.

But I soldiered on, there were a few owners on YouTube continuing to say lots of positive things and giving reviews after so many months ownership.

I got my car at the end of March and so far I cannot fault it. The only issue I have had with the software is the headunit not booting up in time with the "car ready" status so I get an autohold error, but powering down the car from the menu and restarting always clears that and its only happened twice in 3 months of ownership. Both my Nissan Juke and Mercedes GLA had slow to boot headunits so that issue isn't even unique to MG.

No regrets, its puts a smile on my face everytime I get into it, such a nice car to drive.

Here are some reviews I watched which helped me when deciding.

Last edited:
Certainly, I have owned an MG4 Trophy for three months. My thoughts on the MG4 are:

The car drives superbly, a pleasure to drive
The car is loaded with all the tech you could really want
My expectations when spending approx 30k on a product is the the product will be as described. It was not so, it has faults.
When raising the faults I have found (as covered in this forum) I found MG customer service appalling so far.
MG as a company employ just 40 staff
All dealerships are franchised and as such customer service is hit & miss

My main takeaway here, is to carefully research the customer service of the dealership and company (brand) you are potentially putting your money into. Buying a good car without good customer service makes the car not so good.

I'd agree with previous replies.
Whatever information you get on this thread will be dwarfed by the forum as a whole.
However, like everywhere, you'll probably find the complainers (who are often justified) shout louder than those who are satisfied/happy with their cars.
20% is not a small amount. For me, if I'm spending that much more I would want to know I'm getting something significantly better. Obviously, not twice as good, not miles better, but worth the extra money. What, 6 grand? That's a really, really nice holiday!

The Mégane is not without issues, and a few customers have returned them just like the MG. The software appears to be best in the market.
My perception of the Kona is that it's a great car, but I've had comments from owners on other forums suggesting it wasn't the efficiency-machine I thought it was (still decent though).

I've had no issues with my 4. Most people haven't. It's an amazing drive and easily does everything I need it to do. But then so would the other cars. Buy what do they do, or do better, that's worth your 6k? If you can put your finger on it then fair enough.

There are two or three threads dealing with this issue, because you're not the first person to say this. The consensus is that most people are happy with their cars, often loving them to bits, and that every car forum turns up niggles and annoyances that people moan about.

Some people have been sold lemons. Whether this is a higher proportion than with other makes I don't know. But most cars - especially those being delivered now - are not lemons.

I'll see if I can find these threads for you.
Thank you so much Rolfe for your quick reply and for taking the time to address my concerns. I greatly appreciate it.

I wanted to Thank you directly for your valuable inputs throughout the discussions. I have noticed that you have provided insightful replies, which have been helpful in guiding my decision-making process. Kudos to you!

Based on the feedback I have gathered from various people, the factors that influenced my decision to consider the MG4 were the rear-wheel drive experience, the competitive price point, and positive testimonials from drivers who enjoy the MG4. However, I do have reservations about being an early adopter of a new model, as I had a less than satisfactory experience in the past when I purchased the first Peugeot 2008 produced in 2013 and felt like a guinea pig for the local dealer. I hope to avoid repeating that same mistake.

While I have some concerns about the SE model I have decided to order, such as the leather seats and panoramic sunroof, my primary focus is ensuring that the quality of the MG4 I am purchasing is not compromised in comparison to the well-established reliability records of brands like Hyundai and Renault (despite some questions about Renault's reliability, they have been in the business for a while and the features in the Megan are quite appealing).

Once again, thank you for your assistance and for pointing me towards the threads discussing this issue. I will eagerly explore them for further insights.

Last edited:
Here's one very similar thread, I'll keep looking.

Here's another, although it's not limited to just the MG4.

I have seen other similar threads but I'm not sure I can find them now. The bottom line is most people are happy, many extremely happy, and the niggles are things that are an issue with most new cars these days. Go on a VW ID3 forum or a Cupra Born forum or whatever and you'll find the disgruntled owners turning up there too. People tend to come on here with annoyances rather than praise, it's human nature.

There is at least one thread started by someone saying he's tired of all the negativity and this thread is for praising our lovely cars!

A common thread however is that many people have found customer service to be less than satisfactory. I'm pretty sure none of us has the faintest idea how customer service is in Palestine though!

Last edited:
Hey fellow forum members,

I'm excited to join the MG community and have finally made up my mind to buy the MG4. I even have the quotation in my hand! However, after spending hours reading through numerous threads and discussions, I've started to have some cold feet.

Recently, my local dealer surprised me with some interesting offers on two other EV models: the Renault Megane EV and the Kona EV. They're offering just 15-20% extra on the price of these vehicles. Now, I'm feeling confused all over again and don't want to go through the entire research process once more.

Since this is my first EV purchase after selling my ICE vehicle four months ago, I really value the insights and experiences of those who have thoroughly tried these vehicles or conducted in-depth research. Could anyone who has hands-on experience with the MG4, Renault Megane EV, or Kona EV provide some advice on my decision?

I'm specifically looking for feedback on factors like reliability, performance, driving experience, charging infrastructure, and any other considerations that might help me make an informed choice. Your input would be immensely appreciated as I navigate this exciting transition into the world of EVs.

Thank you all in advance for your valuable assistance!
No car is perfect, not even cars costing three times as much. Basically it comes down to what is your preference. Mine was how the car drives and handles, and I had many Alfas in my past, others may be more into amenities or tech. The other thing is never trust a dealer, if he has other offers check his or hers interest.

Having cash purchased my SE SR back in November I have no regrets and have had no issues over 12,000 miles.

I chose the cheapest as I thought that if I didn't get on with it and needed to sell it would be the smallest loss. £6k extra for the additional bits on the Trophy didn't seem worth the extra expense, although if you are paying monthly it may not seem to be that much more.

As said above the negative posts/comments will always swamp those who have a good experience, not just here but on all forums.

Talk to the dealers, get test drives and make your decision, sometimes your gut will tell you...

Having cash purchased my SE SR back in November I have no regrets and have had no issues over 12,000 miles.

I chose the cheapest as I thought that if I didn't get on with it and needed to sell it would be the smallest loss. £6k extra for the additional bits on the Trophy didn't seem worth the extra expense, although if you are paying monthly it may not seem to be that much more.

As said above the negative posts/comments will always swamp those who have a good experience, not just here but on all forums.

Talk to the dealers, get test drives and make your decision, sometimes your gut will tell you...
Completely agree with you. I too have bought the se SR version as it represented the best value MG4. And like you mine has been rock solid so far. It is such an easy car to own and very pleasing to drive. So smooth and quiet yet very responsive.

MG4 is the best value and the best looking EV in the sub £40k price range.
I think most of the problems mentioned on here could apply to any car.
Some problems are sometimes even driver error due to not being familiar with EVs, new technology or automatics etc.
If I were considering other makes and models I would join their forums and/or Facebook groups and see what problems they have.
Also remember forums and groups are usually places that owners ait their gripes or discuss their problems, so there is always that air of negativity. There are many owners who are 100% pleased with their cars so don't post comments.
I would say I'm 99% pleased with mine, the only niggles being, the radio sometimes loses stations when in a poor reception area and doesn't return without a lot of fiddling about when I drive back into a good reception area. The auto lights are a bit too quick to react, for example driving under a bridge and the LKA occasionally tugs the wheel when you're not expecting it to.
The Radio problem was on DAB and did it once on FM but since I've left it on FM it seems to be behaving itself (touches wood) and the LKA has settled down a bit since I turned the sensitivity down.

... and the auto lights can be vastly improved by simply removing the sensor cover. :) (Or replacing it with a 3D printed cover with an open top, to which a clear cover can be fitted - like I have).

...or by switching them off.🤭

Well, yes, that's true, but it really is better simply to remove the cover. It means that the lights will come on if you go into a dark tunnel, and they will come on at dusk. And it's one less bloody thing to think about turning off all the time.

Well, although this is an MG4 forum you asked for experiences of the Megane E-Tech, so I'll chip in.

I cancelled my MG4 Trophy order and bought a Megane E-Tech Techno when, at that time, the number of issues being reported on early MG4s reached a tipping point for me.

I won't comment on or try to justify the price difference, it's obviously a bit more than a Trophy and whether you think it's worth it will be a personal choice.

I've owned the car since January, and have been very pleased with my decision. The car is a great drive and very comfortable. Lane Keep Assist doesn't try to throw me into a hedge, and can be switched off (and stays off) with a physical button. The Google infotainment is really good, voice control works every time and the navigation is spot on. I've had no issues with scheduled charging (using an Ohme Home Pro, anyway).

I have one small niggle, where the material used for the rear suspension bump stop makes a slight "clunking" noise when I hit a reasonable bump in the road. It was worse during the cold months, and I only hear it occasionally in the warmer weather, but Renault have a fix ready to go and my car is booked in mid-July. Other than that, I've not had any problems.

If you or anyone is considering a Megane, just check the space in the back (if you intend to carry passengers) because it's not the roomiest back there, although there are courtesy lights. The boot is large-ish for the size of car, but this is due to it being very deep so make sure the high load lip is okay for you. And the four, yes four, stalks around the steering wheel are not for everyone, although like anything it doesn't take long to get used to it.

However...

I hate on forums when someone has an issue and another user pipes up with "well mine's been perfect". So, for balance, although I don't have these issues here are some observations gleaned from other owners on various forums:

• Some owners of early production cars have had issues with water ingress in the footwell (incorrectly calibrated sealant robot on the production line apparently)
  • Some owners have had issues with the alarm going off for no reason (sensor wiring needs slightly rerouting due to interference from something else)
  • Zappi chargers won't charge on a schedule at all due to some sort of incompatibility (Renault and MyEnergi have now got a fix but it hasn't rolled out yet)

Happy to answer any specific questions, but obviously this an MG4 forum so I won't try and influence any decisions either way.

... and the auto lights can be vastly improved by simply removing the sensor cover. :) (Or replacing it with a 3D printed cover with an open top, to which a clear cover can be fitted - like I have).
For me, it's not so much the intensity of light that is wrong, it's how quick they react. They come on when it's dull as well as dark, which is fine, but I don't like them coming on as I go under a bridge where there's a side road just after it and the lights coming on could be misconstrued as me flashing to let other drivers out.

I want to express my heartfelt gratitude to everyone who took the time to reply to my question. Your insights, advice, and personal experiences have been immensely helpful in guiding my decision-making process. I truly appreciate your contributions.

I would particularly like to address the question regarding the MG dealer in Palestine. The MG dealer here is the same company that sells Hyundai in our country. They have an excellent track record with the highest sales and top-notch support. This was one of the key factors that encouraged me to consider the MG as a viable option for my first EV.

I also want to touch upon what caused my initial concerns. As I delved into the thread of reviews on this forum, I stumbled upon a German video discussing rust on certain internal components. It took me by surprise, and I must admit, it gave me quite a scare. While I had heard about a few expected issues such as software glitches, oil leaks, and the bent under guard sheet (which I can count on one hand), rusty components were completely new to me. Additionally, there was mention of a "glunk" sound from the tailgate that required regreasing. The multitude of potential faults overwhelmed me, and I started to worry about missing any during the acceptance checklist process.

However, taking into consideration the collective advice and feedback you all shared, I have decided to proceed with my plan to purchase the MG. Your reassurances and positive experiences have helped alleviate my concerns to a great extent.

One question has been lingering in my mind though. In one of the reviews, someone mentioned that the SR battery is better than the LR battery as it can be charged overnight without worrying about overcharging, citing the specific type of battery used. Can anyone shed some light on this? I would appreciate any further clarification or insights on this topic.

Here is the video that raised these questions for me:

Once again, thank you all for your tremendous support and guidance. Your contributions have been invaluable in my decision-making process.

Warmest regards

The SR and LR batteries are different, but neither is better or worse than the other, and neither can be "overcharged".

The SR battery has no cobalt in it, if that's important to you. It is also much more long-lived than the LR, but having said that even the LR will probably last longer than the car.

The charging difference is that the SR doesn't mind sitting at 100% for a while, and it's recommended simply to charge it up to 100% every time and not worry about it. The LR doesn't like sitting at 100% for more than a few hours. The advice with the LR is to charge routinely to 80%, unless you are going on a long-ish journey the next day and need the range. Obviously if you are doing that, the car won't be sitting at 100% for a long period of time. However, even if you just use 20% of the battery the next day, the car is quite happy.

Both types of battery like to "balance" or "equalise" their cells after charging to full. The SR does this after every 100% charge. The LR needs to do it less often, but it's recommended to take it up to 100% at least once a month and let it balance. Preferably choosing a day when you're likely to drive far enough to bring the charge level down to or near 80%. But some people are simply charging their LR batteries to 100% regardless, because they think all this advice is a bit over the top.

Whatever you decide to do, you can't overcharge an LR battery, and there's no worry about it charging above 80% if you don't want it to, because there is a setting in the app to stop the charge automatically at 80% if desired. And even if you do go over, don't worry about it over-much.

I have an SR and find it very convenient. I feel smug I have a cobalt-free battery, and I charge to 100% routinely, even if I'm not taking the car out for a few days. It's the best-value of the MG4 options. However, I seldom need to travel more than 150 miles in a day, so I can do all my motoring within the range of the SR and charge at home, except for special trips. If you need the longer range, go for it. It's little extra trouble to manage the battery, and the app does the 80% thing for you.

PS. I watched the video and he says something else that's wrong. One thing to realise about the MG4 is that, like a Windows computer, there are sometimes two or three ways to do the same thing, and you use the one that's most convenient, which isn't necessarily the way that's most obvious to someone who only sat in the car for the first time five minutes ago.

There are temperature and fan speed controls for the climate control on the main infotainment screen,yes. However, you do not HAVE to touch the screen to change the temperature or the fan speed, and you almost certainly don't want to. The star button on the right-hand side of the steering wheel can be customised to control the temperature and fan speed. You can change these settings not simply without taking your hands off the wheel, but without taking your eyes off the road. Same with the audio system. Turn it on or off, change the volume or change tracks (of the USB player) or radio stations just by toggling the joystick.

Last edited:
Both types of battery like to "balance" or "equalise" their cells after charging to full. The SR does this after every 100% charge.
Despite my lack of familiarity with these terms, I'm counting on my future experience with the car to understand them 😂. Sometimes, diving into the unknown can be quite an adventure, and I'm excited to embrace it with a sense of curiosity!

Just another note, and sorry to bother you again, going back to my mention of the German video. I was wondering if you heard about the reported rusty internal components mentioned in that video. If any of you have insights or further information about that?

I have seen one reference to the rust thing, possibly the same one, but it isn't something that comes up on the forum independently. (Also, it seems to me that you may be at less risk of rust than many people with these cars, as I think it's generally warm and dry where you live, and you're not all that close to the sea. Have some pity for those of us in Scotland!) The car is quite new and has not yet gained a reputation as a rust-bucket, other than that one video which may be exaggerating. I have my fingers crossed.

If I watch my SR charge by looking at the app while it's doing it, I see it drawing power at the usual rate until it reaches 100%. This happens at the time predicted by the app for finishing charging. But then it doesn't stop, it reduces the power to about 20 watts and carries on like that for about another half-hour before it finally announces that it has finished. That's the balancing. Happens the same way every time.

Note that a car can't balance the battery on a rapid charger, it has to be either a type 2 AC charger, or a wall box, or a trickle (granny) charger. So that has to be taken into consideration when planning how you charge. If you have home charging, either a wall box or a trickle charger, you're fine. If all your charging is public you'll have to find time to leave the car on a type 2 charger sometimes to do its thing.

I don't think the LR needs to balace so often. (Even the SR doesn't need to balance so often, it just does it if it can.) The car will choose when it wants to do it. You'll see the power draw decrease then hold for a while at a low level. The LR can balance to some extent when it reaches 80% if an 80% limit on charging has been set, so it's not absolutely critical.

You'll get into the way of doing it and find a pattern of charging that suits your driving needs. We have a member here who lives in a house with no mains electricity, he can't charge at home, and his nearest public charger is seven miles away down a narrow country road. But he manages. (He has an LR for obvious reasons.)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back