MG4 Last decision

Tarek

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Hey fellow forum members,

I'm excited to join the MG community and have finally made up my mind to buy the MG4. I even have the quotation in my hand! However, after spending hours reading through numerous threads and discussions, I've started to have some cold feet.

Recently, my local dealer surprised me with some interesting offers on two other EV models: the Renault Megane EV and the Kona EV. They're offering just 15-20% extra on the price of these vehicles. Now, I'm feeling confused all over again and don't want to go through the entire research process once more.

Since this is my first EV purchase after selling my ICE vehicle four months ago, I really value the insights and experiences of those who have thoroughly tried these vehicles or conducted in-depth research. Could anyone who has hands-on experience with the MG4, Renault Megane EV, or Kona EV provide some advice on my decision?

I'm specifically looking for feedback on factors like reliability, performance, driving experience, charging infrastructure, and any other considerations that might help me make an informed choice. Your input would be immensely appreciated as I navigate this exciting transition into the world of EVs.

Thank you all in advance for your valuable assistance!

I haven't been back to my dealer at all, so I can't comment. The undertray will have to be tackled soon though. If I hadn't seen the undertray, the only issues I'd have are relatively minor niggles, most with work-rounds.
I think it bites so deeply with me as I spent a large part of my career building teams across the globe including the UK, US, Canada, Japan, Sweden and more to provide excellent operational customer service within robotic warehouses. So I think I know what good customer service looks like.
As I say, the car I think is decent, with issues and niggles as many cars have, but let down by the customer service and support.

Mmmm.. I wonder what they are doing? just received emails:

The brake system of your vehicle (***904) has triggered an alarm on 05-07-2023 14:12:54 GMT+01:00. -MG Motor

The airbag of your vehicle (***904) has triggered an alarm on 05-07-2023 14:13:55 GMT+01:00. -MG Motor

Mmmm.. I wonder what they are doing? just received emails:

The brake system of your vehicle (***904) has triggered an alarm on 05-07-2023 14:12:54 GMT+01:00. -MG Motor

The airbag of your vehicle (***904) has triggered an alarm on 05-07-2023 14:13:55 GMT+01:00. -MG Motor
This normal when they are doing updates.

Yes I get that... what i'm asking is will the car email the owner when any updates are applied to any module, I assume this would occur under failure conditions etc too?
Yes you will see errors as individuals modules are updated and therefore are not functional whilst being updated. These are the same errors you will get if something fails on the car during your ownership.

What you won't see is "module X updated to Y", there are not messages like that.

It means they are definitely applying non infotainment updates to your car.

Hey fellow forum members,

I'm excited to join the MG community and have finally made up my mind to buy the MG4. I even have the quotation in my hand! However, after spending hours reading through numerous threads and discussions, I've started to have some cold feet.

Recently, my local dealer surprised me with some interesting offers on two other EV models: the Renault Megane EV and the Kona EV. They're offering just 15-20% extra on the price of these vehicles. Now, I'm feeling confused all over again and don't want to go through the entire research process once more.

Since this is my first EV purchase after selling my ICE vehicle four months ago, I really value the insights and experiences of those who have thoroughly tried these vehicles or conducted in-depth research. Could anyone who has hands-on experience with the MG4, Renault Megane EV, or Kona EV provide some advice on my decision?

I'm specifically looking for feedback on factors like reliability, performance, driving experience, charging infrastructure, and any other considerations that might help me make an informed choice. Your input would be immensely appreciated as I navigate this exciting transition into the world of EVs.

Thank you all in advance for your valuable assistance!
Make sure you are fully committed to owning an mg4 issues we have had with a trophy include excessive LKA which can be dangerous at times numerous software glitches unresponsive/random radio and issues with the touch screen
Otherwise this would be a great car we got rid of ours due to these problems

I too am about to place an order for a 4, Trophy in Red.

I am coming from a 2019 Tesla Model 3. I thought people might be interested in my observations following a decent test drive earlier today.

The 4 is a much smoother drive than the Tesla. The ride is smoother and the acceleration and braking are both softer. Regenerative braking on the 4 feels like it’s broken! I tried all the settings, but compared to the Tesla it feels like it’s off.
The satnav is rubbish.
The Infotainment is way easier to use than the Tesla and the responsiveness is equal or better.
LKA is much nicer than the Tesla which screams with an ear piercing bleeping. I tried to provoke it to take the steering but it just nudged the wheel a couple of times.
I didn’t experience any phantom braking during the test, but the Tesla frequently slams the brakes on due to shadows on the road or road signs that it doesn’t like the look of!
ACC was the equal of the Tesla,
I thought the car was well screwed together and fit for purpose.

I found some things strange to use. A key? What’s that about! The placement of the gear selector felt odd. The indicator stalk was difficult to just tap rather than switch. But non of these are a big deal. It always takes time to settle to a new car.

Overall I am very impressed. The Tesla had to have both headlights replaced under warranty, twice. Both rear lights. One door pillar cover, two wing cameras, boot and frunk seals and currently reports that the emergency call function is faulty. Another £25k does not buy you a car without problems!

Another Tesla problem is phantom battery drain. Even with all its security gubbins turned off it manages to loose at least 6% charge a week when parked at the airport. It appears the 4 looses next to nothing. A big plus for me as I live part time in Turkey and the car spends a lot of time at Gatwick!

I could keep the 3, but my wife finds it very uncomfortable since recovering from cancer and after almost 4 years I think it’s time for a change. The MG4 seems ideal. Big enough, not too big, enough range for 95% of my driving, comfortable to drive and to be driven in and a more useful and easier to use load space.

So I will be placing an order in the next few days, using the Affinity scheme (MGCC member, £50) and then listing The Tesla with Motorway. Dealer tells me sub 2 months for delivery of a phase 2 car in red. Need to phone round a few others and decide if I want to use the local dealer or a n other.

I too am about to place an order for a 4, Trophy in Red.

I am coming from a 2019 Tesla Model 3. I thought people might be interested in my observations following a decent test drive earlier today.

The 4 is a much smoother drive than the Tesla. The ride is smoother and the acceleration and braking are both softer. Regenerative braking on the 4 feels like it’s broken! I tried all the settings, but compared to the Tesla it feels like it’s off.
The satnav is rubbish.
The Infotainment is way easier to use than the Tesla and the responsiveness is equal or better.
LKA is much nicer than the Tesla which screams with an ear piercing bleeping. I tried to provoke it to take the steering but it just nudged the wheel a couple of times.
I didn’t experience any phantom braking during the test, but the Tesla frequently slams the brakes on due to shadows on the road or road signs that it doesn’t like the look of!
ACC was the equal of the Tesla,
I thought the car was well screwed together and fit for purpose.

I found some things strange to use. A key? What’s that about! The placement of the gear selector felt odd. The indicator stalk was difficult to just tap rather than switch. But non of these are a big deal. It always takes time to settle to a new car.

Overall I am very impressed. The Tesla had to have both headlights replaced under warranty, twice. Both rear lights. One door pillar cover, two wing cameras, boot and frunk seals and currently reports that the emergency call function is faulty. Another £25k does not buy you a car without problems!

Another Tesla problem is phantom battery drain. Even with all its security gubbins turned off it manages to loose at least 6% charge a week when parked at the airport. It appears the 4 looses next to nothing. A big plus for me as I live part time in Turkey and the car spends a lot of time at Gatwick!

I could keep the 3, but my wife finds it very uncomfortable since recovering from cancer and after almost 4 years I think it’s time for a change. The MG4 seems ideal. Big enough, not too big, enough range for 95% of my driving, comfortable to drive and to be driven in and a more useful and easier to use load space.

So I will be placing an order in the next few days, using the Affinity scheme (MGCC member, £50) and then listing The Tesla with Motorway. Dealer tells me sub 2 months for delivery of a phase 2 car in red. Need to phone round a few others and decide if I want to use the local dealer or a n other.
Pre 2021 Tesla's were full of issues, seems you e had a few

Pre 2021 Tesla's were full of issues, seems you e had a few
Very true. When comparing with the MG4 it is worth noting that the Tesla has had years and years to address issues with the M3 and the 4 is still in its first year. That doesn't detract from Teslas being much better sorted now, but it is a factor - Tesla have been in the EV game so much longer than most that people forget they had lots of issues when new.

So just received my car back from the 'stealer'... well that's unfair because the dealer was in fact Volvo (with MG sales people in the building next door) and the service manager said to me that the air-con noise is excessive and they watched the connecting pipes rattling around, not good. He also sympathised with the under tray warping, not how it should be and presents opportunity to collect debris and water. He had two other MG's there and said they were all the same so MG may call the issues 'characteristics'. Anyway he has created a report and sent it to MG but doesn't expect to hear back for a few days. - Maybe - Volvo > MG > SAIC > MG > Volvo > Me

I feel bad for the Volvo guy as he appears to be between a rock and hard place. He agreed with me that MG have just stormed into the market place to make a name for themselves with a good car, however that will be quickly undone if they continue to demonstrate the disdain towards their customers that they currently are and try to ignore early market car failures.

MG have replaced undertrays on a number of cars. They can hardly now say "oh we didn't realise we were going to have to fix so many, so we'll re-brand the fault as a "characteristic".
Agree... same goes for the excessively rattly air-con. When I get a response from MG (or SAIC), I'll post it here.

I've read it all. I've listened to various recordings, all apparently of a noise I don't have. I've just got a bit of a warbling sound that's not very loud and doesn't sound "OMG what the hell is that?" at all.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back