MG4 Loud bang when charger connected

Yes charges fine on dc
Just been reading Bosch's CCU documents and it does control AC and DC charging as it managed all communication and negotiation between the car and the EV charger in use.

Unless they're saying specifically the communication to the onboard charger is what's faulty

Just been reading Bosch's CCU documents and it does control AC and DC charging as it managed all communication and negotiation between the car and the EV charger in use.

Unless they're saying specifically the communication to the onboard charger is what's faulty
Ayoull, I don't know their diagnostic capabilities to determine if its a short or a live to earthing issue etc. The dc input as you know does not use L1,2 or 3 or N on the type 2 input but still uses cp, pp, and e plus the dc input. If it is a shared unit then the signalling may be fine so the problem could lie with the ac input, be it socket, wiring, charger or ccu....or am I talking bull

Last edited:
Ayoull, I don't know their diagnostic capabilities to determine if its a short or a live to earthing issue etc. The dc input as you know does not use L1,2 or 3 or N on the type 2 input but still uses cp, pp, and e plus the dc input. If it is a shared unit then the signalling may be fine so the problem could lie with the ac input, be it socket, wiring or ccu....or am I talking bull
If they've managed to get it say it'll charge in 6mnths.

That looks to be a negotiation issue between the CCU, Onboard charger and the AC charger.

But it can't be a complete communication failure as AC Type2 and DC CCS2 use the exact same protocol for communication and handshake negotiation

To me it sounds like a fault with the AC/DC converter rather than a negotiation thing ... 0.009kW (not kWh) charge rate looks like leakage current (~39mA)

Just had a call and they think it's fixed. Charging over night to see..
Looking at the app they have not fixed it.
20230223_160707.jpg

What do you think?

Not been a really good day for owning an ev.

Got my ohme charger going in next week so cheaper octopus energy..... Up until I got a call from dno. Octopus want another survey. Dno said they now want the 80amp fuse upgrading to '94 amp fuse'. Where 94 came from I don't know. They also would like me to have a dedicated feed to the house at a 6k bill.
Pointed out that I am the first person on a chain of two house so why do I need a new supply.

I was on a shared loop. Main supply came into my house and was then was looped from the main feed in pre consumer unit to my neighbour...I even had a main fuse for their house. The reason given to myself was that if we both had car chargers and potentially a heat pump system each in the future then that would overload the feed in, hence the need for individual supply. It took six months for the work to be carried out and cost my neighbour and myself zero. I now have a 100a fuse

Not been a really good day for owning an ev.

Got my ohme charger going in next week so cheaper octopus energy..... Up until I got a call from dno. Octopus want another survey. Dno said they now want the 80amp fuse upgrading to '94 amp fuse'. Where 94 came from I don't know. They also would like me to have a dedicated feed to the house at a 6k bill.
Pointed out that I am the first person on a chain of two house so why do I need a new supply.
Ofgem LV demand policy states who ever is forcing reinforcement works due to an increase in load has to foot the bill if its domestic it's anything above and beyond 80A, below 80A you'd not be expected to pay, and everyone who pays an electricity bill in the UK is funding the upgrade.

Most looped services can handle 80A easily but 100A is not permitted on a looped system.

I see that briggie had it done gratis this can be where the loop is an older lower capacity one so they have to ensure it can meet the minimum requirements for 80A as required under Ofgem and loops aren't permitted for new installs so individual feeds are required.

The main feed to myself was not replaced. The neighbour got a new separate feed. Both households had 60a fuses so I can only assume the original feed was rated above 100a...120 perhaps?

The main feed to myself was not replaced. The neighbour got a new separate feed. Both households had 60a fuses so I can only assume the original feed was rated above 100a...120 perhaps?
Sorry when I said could handle 80A should have clarified that's per customer on a 2 house loop so 2x 80A.

Most historical loops are 0.0225cu PILC which can take 108A constant load 140A cyclical and 162A emergency rating.

Which means it can handle 108A being pulled all day long in the middle of summer no issues.

Cyclical rating means it can be overloaded above its constant rating for a maximum of 8hrs and is expected to have a minimum recovery time of 8hrs where the load is significantly lower.

Emergency rating is the absolute maximum capability of the cable for a period of 3hrs before the cable begins to breakdown.

Now you'll be looking at that going how does that = 2x 80A we work to the principal that both houses won't be drawing 80A constantly at the same time, don't get me wrong for 99.99999% of the time this works but there are occasions it doesn't and things break.

And then you have services that are smaller than 0.0225cu which are 0.007cu which is good for 62A constant, 100A cyclical and 110A emergency these would be delooped gratis as it wouldn't meet the often criteria of 80A minimum capacity even applying diversity that a DNO is permitted to apply.

I was on a shared loop. Main supply came into my house and was then was looped from the main feed in pre consumer unit to my neighbour...I even had a main fuse for their house. The reason given to myself was that if we both had car chargers and potentially a heat pump system each in the future then that would overload the feed in, hence the need for individual supply. It took six months for the work to be carried out and cost my neighbour and myself zero. I now have a 100a fuse
I'm in a similar position, second house on the loop,new feed and up graded fuse free of charge.

Back to the drawing board.

Unless a hamster in a running wheel is charging it.
Goldie, even an MG sponsored hamster would do better than that tbh. Is that on a public charger, your home charger or the granny cable as a matter of interest?

Just had a call and its back in the hands of MG technical. Looks like driving the mobile advertising for a few more days. Confirmed it is still not charging

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back