MG4 Loud bang when charger connected

So update time. They have been sent a CCU to fit. This time it's not a donat car part which was coded. Result was that it still chatlrges at 0.09. Think they now have run out of options
Clearly it wasn't the CCU that went bang then. Very disappointing that they haven't been able to get to the bottom of it.

MG or the dealer dont know what the issue is or how to fix it. It will be come stalemate soon with them. New car or reject for full refund

Quick rescan of thread, stand by my first thoughts it's the Onboard charger that's gone faulty as the CCU is working by initiation of the charging via the handshake to the EVSE.

Quick rescan of thread, stand by my first thoughts it's the Onboard charger that's gone faulty as the CCU is working by initiation of the charging via the handshake to the EVSE.
Dealer does not know what else to try. MG don't have a clue what the problem could be. MG technical is a two or three day turn around for any answers.

Dealer does not know what else to try. MG don't have a clue what the problem could be. MG technical is a two or three day turn around for any answers.
I suppose that at least means it is rare, although that doesn't help you in any way. Yes, the turnaround time to consult with China need sorting out - we are going to see more and more of this as EVs become centrally managed black boxes, and MG need to do much better.

If I were you, I would be insisting on a replacement car or refund, you have gone through enough.

I think you have been incredibly patient, how long have the had your car now?

8 weeks. According to the Santander they are taking up the case to reject the car. I really dont think MG have a clue whats happened or how to fix it
It's poor, you would hope that after 3 or 4 weeks they would have just said we can't fix it, here's a new car.

Well there is the problem. So from whats been said so far to me is that MG have nothing to do with replacing the car. MG sold it to the dealer so its their problem. Comment from MG customer service was 'we sold it to the dealer so its their problem' then put phone down on me. Santander attitude is that they are going to reject the car because technically its their car so they will push for rejection. Not looking forward to the arguments and 45p per mile usage charge if rejected.

How long did you actually physically have they car? And who has quoted the 45p a mile charge?

Santander says the dealer can charge 45p a mile. We had it for 2 weeks before it went for its first issue.

Not the expert on the your consumer rights @siteguru is really good with that stuff.
I do know the clock stops when it's back at the dealer, have you physically had it more than 30 days, how many miles have you managed to do in it?

It was reported two faults on the day we picked it up. but they could not get it in for a further three weeks. Just happened to be 31 days. Had a major problems with supplying dealer branch so had to take it to another one. Charging issue started at 35 days

You will be able to reject it, as your in the first six months and it's not fit for purpose, they have had more than one chance to fix it, and they are entitled to one.
As you say it's just how long it takes and what they think is a reasonable amount to deduct.

It was reported two faults on the day we picked it up. but they could not get it in for a further three weeks. Just happened to be 31 days. Had a major problems with supplying dealer branch so had to take it to another one. Charging issue started at 35 days
The underlined bit is irrelevant ... if faults were reported within the first 30 days then the 30 day clock stops ticking. If those faults have not been rectified then (AFAIAA) you can still exercise your Short Term/Initial Right To Reject for a full refund, per CRA2015 section 20 and 22.

IF you have to reject by exercising your Final Right To Reject per CRA2015 section 24 then the seller can deduct an amount to account for your time of ownership. However I fervently disagree that 45p per mile is a reasonable charge ... the worst-case excess miles charge I recall seeing (edit: in a lease agreement) is 20p per mile, and even that is excessive (IMHO).

Last edited:
I feel I should not be given any charge due to all the problems but Santander say the dealer has the option. I might then put a charge on them for advertising signs on this car they have given me while mine is in.
Yes. And if they have given you an ICE courtesy car, you should make it crystal clear that you are going to charge them for extra expenses for every single mile. They have to recognize that the f*ckery is over. MG have made their profit, the dealership has made its profit and you are making payments for a vehicle that is practically useless. Set a short deadline and then off to a solicitor you go. This is a disgrace.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel