MG4 or Tesla Model 3

Is that the end of VW sales then?

I dare say it will force VW to react, but the end of sales….hardly!
Over 90% of sales are PCP now, so those will be the figures that matter rather than largely academic RRP.
VW also have brand loyalty, a massive dealer network and the ID3 will continue to appeal to people who don’t fancy the MG or Tesla.

I dare say it will force VW to react, but the end of sales….hardly!
Over 90% of sales are PCP now, so those will be the figures that matter rather than largely academic RRP.
VW also have brand loyalty, a massive dealer network and the ID3 will continue to appeal to people who don’t fancy the MG or Tesla.
The revised ID3 is also on the way soon

Yes. Unbelievably so. My uncle always bought VWs. When the engine of his three year old Tiguan broke and VW denied any goodwill he bought another one.

VW relies heavily on its past, it seems to be the fail-safe option to people.

There's a few owners that would disagree on that one!
Yes, they held their value well during the shortages but with Tesla's price cuts second hand values have slid and with future massive production ramps and lowering prices, I think second hand Teslas will drop a lot more in value.

This is why their PCPs have such a low MGFV.

Yes, they held their value well during the shortages but with Tesla's price cuts second hand values have slid and with future massive production ramps and lowering prices, I think second hand Teslas will drop a lot more in value.

This is why their PCPs have such a low MGFV.

I still think Tesla’s GFV are ridiculous.
I’m sure when I looked they were only giving £16k for three year old M3 with 30k miles.
That’s daft.

I still think Tesla’s GFV are ridiculous.
I’m sure when I looked they were only giving £16k for three year old M3 with 30k miles.
That’s daft.
Well yes it is very low but if they plan to dump massive volumes at cut prices over the next few years, it does make sense.

I think we will end up with loads of Teslas at low prices but very little choice - basically M3s/MYs no variations. People like a choice of body style, car type, options etc... so some will go elsewhere because of that, others won't be able to ignore the low Tesla prices.

Remains to be seen how big the market is for Tesla without providing consumers more choice. I'd be quite reluctant to buy a M3 even if same price as MG4 because of lack of hatch, looks, no CarPlay and extreme lack of buttons.

I'd be quite reluctant to buy a M3 even if same price as MG4 because of lack of hatch, looks, no CarPlay and extreme lack of buttons.

Nbc Idk GIF by America's Got Talent

Even if they were both equally reliable, that’s a mad thing to say.
No it isn't. The Tesla isn't better in any way that matters to me (I don't need something faster or more range), and it has drawbacks as I pointed out plus worse build quality.

I appreciate there's lots of great innovations but I don't like all of them and there's nothing compelling for me, not interested in self-driving and that's extra anyway.

I can see it appealing to some people for sure, but not all.

No it isn't. The Tesla isn't better in any way that matters to me (I don't need something faster or more range), and it has drawbacks as I pointed out plus worse build quality.

I appreciate there's lots of great innovations but I don't like all of them and there's nothing compelling for me, not interested in self-driving and that's extra anyway.

I can see it appealing to some people for sure, but not all.

“hi, I’d like less of a proven track record, less power and worse software for my money please.
Oh and can I pay for yearly servicing as well?…thaaaaaanks”

As for the build quality, it’s unfathomable as to why you think the MG’s is better…
People are complaining about the seats collapsing already….

Much as I love my born, in itself light years ahead of the MG in every way, for the same money I’ll take the Tesla thanks.

“hi, I’d like less of a proven track record, less power and worse software for my money please.
Oh and can I pay for yearly servicing as well?…thaaaaaanks”

As for the build quality, it’s unfathomable as to why you think the MG’s is better…
People are complaining about the seats collapsing already….

Much as I love my born, in itself light years ahead of the MG in every way, for the same money I’ll take the Tesla thanks.
Everyone is different... my car is fautless and good luck when you upgrade to your Tesla.

The MG will get a proven track record but it has only been out 6 months, rather than 6 years for the old M3. Early on M3s had all sorts of build problems. More recent MG4s are already much better than the earlier batches.

Many people have remarked on the MG4's build quality, compared it favourably to german competition and both Teslas in general and M3 in particular have a reputation for poor build quality in terms of panel gaps and alignment etc...

Everyone is different... my car is fautless and good luck when you upgrade to your Tesla.

The MG will get a proven track record but it has only been out 6 months, rather than 6 years for the old M3. Early on M3s had all sorts of build problems. More recent MG4s are already much better than the earlier batches.

Many people have remarked on the MG4's build quality, compared it favourably to german competition and both Teslas in general and M3 in particular have a reputation for poor build quality in terms of panel gaps and alignment etc...

There’s build quality and perception of build quality.
Yes the MG gives a perception of build quality, the doors shut with a nice sound and it’s refined etc
But, as I said, people are already noticing ‘actual’ build quality is down to a price.
Let’s see if these people comparing them to German cars are still saying the same in 1/2/3 years, because that’s where true build quality tells.

The Chinese built M3 were a massive improvement from the US ones.
Can't really compare an MG 4 and a M3, the Tesla is on a completely different level to an MG.
To be fair though it's not everyone that wants a car that size and a saloon, so people may prefer a hatchback or SUV style EV.
I must admit if the Tesla price drop jad happened before Christmas I would probably have got one instead of my Mégane, and I'm really enjoying that.
I will be very interested in the smaller Tesla if and when it comes along, as by that time a smaller car like I've got or the 4 or Born size is all I really need if I'm being honest.
I also like the BYD Seal and the Nio ET5, although I'd struggle with the name of the BYD.

Current Model 3 or Y specimen are really spot on. That said I can't complain about anything with my MG4 either.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 528 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back