MG4 Owners - Reflections.

I also have Camden grey Trophy and done 3500 miles. I haven't had any major problems and find it a great car to drive . I do have a minor annoying fault that when I get the startup greeting it tells me its 2019 but I don't know if the fault is with car or Android auto.
I complained about the faulty greeting and the dealer updated software to R46 (15mins) and Its been OK since. It was faulty on about every 5th start up - not always

I've a Camden Grey on Motability and it's possessed. Yep, tried to kill me by violently turning left when it had no need to. Bar some little niggles I honestly wished my VW order had come before this.

I had a rattle at low speed,or a creaking or at very low speeds when crossing road bumps. I cured this by adjusting the position of the trapezoid rubber blocks, onto which the boot closes. In my case there was not enough rubber compression to stop metal on metal contact of the clasp mechanism.

Cheers, I'll have a look at those. If I drive over rough ground with the hatch open, no funny noises, as soon as you close it, rattle and creak.

Bought mg4 last oct just rejected mine after a long battle issues galore oil leak fixed 5 times still leaked,loss power,batttery management system failed,locked inside,boot light filling with water,head unit failing,seats lost support,the car was great to drive but plagued by issues. Think I just had a lemon car which some other poor soul is about to buy.mg4 will become a great car but in my case it was terrible experience

I have owned my MG4 SE SR Camden Grey for about 9 months now and judging by some of the posts here, I consider myself fortunate to have one of the few owners who have had no real problems to speak of.
There has been just 2 minor issues.
2 uncommanded emergency brake instances which can be quite unnerving.
2 instances where the radio either temporarily lost its signal, or just stopped working.
It has not been back to the dealer and is the the R13 s/w standard.

But apart from that, the reliability has been rock solid.
And the car is an absolute pleasure to drive. Smooth and quiet and very responsive.
I typically get between 4.5 and 4.7 miles/kWh, albeit during the summer and autumn.

So I was wondering.
Have I just been lucky. Or is my experience fairy typical.
MG4 SE LR owner since March. 13k miles so far. Fault wise: Lane keep assist always needs to be turned off as we live on country lanes. Small creak from boot At low speeds. The charging timer and the app are slightly janky but doable. Plus points: Huge value. Great range. Roomy inside. Very efficient at low speeds. Handles really well. Plenty of power. Like the simple Apple car play set up. Fast charges much quicker than more expensive competitors. Looking for a golf sized family car then I don’t think anything else comes close at the moment.

Six month old Trophy. Not my first EV. Pleased with it as a car but not with having to switch off the LKA and emergency braking each time. Not had any of the more common physical faults but lost window wind-down for 3 months and have now lost the external charging lights. The process of diagnosis and the long lead time for sourcing replacement parts is a very big negative.

Had my Holborn Blue Trophy MY22 for about 2 months now. Has the dodgy undertray but local dealer have ordered a replacement. When it went in they also updated all the service module software and LKA can now be left on with no worries!

Lovely to drive, very happy.

Holborn Blue Trophy now 6 months old. Generally very happy but with several irritating issues:
1. LKA will occasionally follow phantom lines
2. Approaching a vehicle from behind with cruise control on and indicating to overtake. Just as I start to change lanes cruise control disengages. This happens more than I would like and is potentially quite dangerous.
3. Infotainment system forgets my phone all the time
4. Very occasionally all radio stations will temporarily go AWOL
5. Ocassionally the reversing camera doesn’t work.
6. Very easy to catch the window switches when exiting the car.
7. The wide door sills are problem for people like me with short legs - they attack my calf as I’m exiting the car. They collect water when it rains, too, and it’s difficult to avoid getting trousers wet.
8. I miss my rear window wiper.

I always turn off LKA but I've never turned off the emergency braking and it has never bothered me. The wide sills don't bother me either and I'd probably never have noticed if other people hadn't mentioned them. I asked an elderly lady I drive to church if she had a problem (I always help her in and out of the car) and she said no, she didn't notice anything. A few days ago another passenger remarked spontaneoulsy that she thought my car was easier to get in and out of than her own car. Different shapes fit different people I suppose.

Love mine. I like the calm dark interior. The seats are the best I've ever had. It's a beast on long distance, charging so fast, it just keeps on going.

Hate the dealership and missing over the air updates. Dont like the mediocre efficiency. Tesla is still setting the benchmark.

Would not exchange the car for any other. Love it.

I have owned my MG4 SE SR Camden Grey for about 9 months now and judging by some of the posts here, I consider myself fortunate to have one of the few owners who have had no real problems to speak of.
There has been just 2 minor issues.
2 uncommanded emergency brake instances which can be quite unnerving.
2 instances where the radio either temporarily lost its signal, or just stopped working.
It has not been back to the dealer and is the the R13 s/w standard.

But apart from that, the reliability has been rock solid.
And the car is an absolute pleasure to drive. Smooth and quiet and very responsive.
I typically get between 4.5 and 4.7 miles/kWh, albeit during the summer and autumn.

So I was wondering.
Have I just been lucky. Or is my experience fairy typical.
My Mark 1 MG4 in orange has been fine. No issues whatsoever

300 miles in my Camden Grey, and no issues at all. LKA set on default, never look at it, the wheel occasionally twitches, but never has it tried to kill me. Maybe my software is the latest upgrade? I haven't a clue - but the car is a dream to drive. It feels faster from a standing start than my dear old BMW 135 (with the 3-litre lump) but without the accompanying roar :D and without the top speed, but that's fine by me.
I happened to drive past the dealer's this morning, and my ex-BMW was there on the forecourt, looking very tasty but with a 50% markup on the trade-in price o_O

Loving my mg4 so far. No significant issues, LKA I leave on. A/C nice and quiet and effective. Only insignificant small plastic undertray bulge. very slight vibe at 65mph, not a problem. For some perspective on issues like having to turn off LKA etc, I looked on the kia ev6 forum and there is a very similar list of complaints for the ev6. Probably as most systems are bought in from the same suppliers like mobieye/bosch. Just for perspective:

“Dear Kia - Please can we have a driver’s profile which keeps your favourite settings?

Intelligent Speed Limit Alerts -> Off
Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist -> Off
Lane Keeping Assist -> Off
Driver Attention Warning -> Swaying Warning -> Off
iPedal -> Should remain set
GT mode or My Drive mode -> Should remain set

I’ve only had my GT for 1000 miles and I’m already very bored with having to set these every time I start the car.”

Six month old Trophy. Not my first EV. Pleased with it as a car but not with having to switch off the LKA and emergency braking each time. Not had any of the more common physical faults but lost window wind-down for 3 months and have now lost the external charging lights. The process of diagnosis and the long lead time for sourcing replacement parts is a very big negative.
Disconnect the 12v battery and reconnect it. You’ll find the charge light fault disappears

Love mine. I like the calm dark interior. The seats are the best I've ever had. It's a beast on long distance, charging so fast, it just keeps on going.

Hate the dealership and missing over the air updates. Dont like the mediocre efficiency. Tesla is still setting the benchmark.

Would not exchange the car for any other. Love it.
Yes. Very much agree with you about the seats. I find them very comfortable and gives good support.

I've a Camden Grey on Motability and it's possessed. Yep, tried to kill me by violently turning left when it had no need to. Bar some little niggles I honestly wished my VW order had come before this.
I know a lady in my village who has a motability ID4 and it has been nothing but trouble. Been back at VW more than she has had it in the last six months.

While I was cleaning the car, a chap stopped me and asked me what I thought about the MG4. I told him that I really liked it.
He told me that his father had bought a VW ID3 and he was having some problems with it.
Firstly he was very unhappy with the LKA as it was constantly try to correct the steering wheel.
And secondly the key fob kept falling to unlock the car.
He was also not too happy with some of the paintwork finish as it was uneven.

He had a look round my car and said he thought his father bought the wrong car!!!

While I was cleaning the car, a chap stopped me and asked me what I thought about the MG4. I told him that I really liked it.
He told me that his father had bought a VW ID3 and he was having some problems with it.
Firstly he was very unhappy with the LKA as it was constantly try to correct the steering wheel.
And secondly the key fob kept falling to unlock the car.
He was also not too happy with some of the paintwork finish as it was uneven.

He had a look round my car and said he thought his father bought the wrong car!!!
As a current ID.3 driver (58kwh, boggo grey paint) we've been lucky with the paint but in-car infotainment has been flaky, voice activation woeful and LKA nearly put us in the backseat of a few parked cars. Fob was replaced early on too- they're really flimsy.

OTA updates (once they had them sorted) fixed a lot of issues so am keeping fingers crossed that MG can get the software sorted in time for my Feb XPower delivery 😉

Why did we get one? We got it on lease because it was the cheapest way we could find at the time for electric driving with space for 3 kids (and got all inclusive maintenance for £11pcm extra).

Why move to MG? Renewal quote for lease was £25pcm more than what we are paying and insurance etc through the roof. Can't see why anyone is buying an ID.3 at the minute- money is bonkers. XPower is going to be approx £100pcm cheaper with everything added in (salary sacrifice though)

Long story short I would agree with your newfound friend- his dad bought the wrong car!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 534 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back