MG4 Owners - Reflections.

Buster72

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I have owned my MG4 SE SR Camden Grey for about 9 months now and judging by some of the posts here, I consider myself fortunate to have one of the few owners who have had no real problems to speak of.
There has been just 2 minor issues.
2 uncommanded emergency brake instances which can be quite unnerving.
2 instances where the radio either temporarily lost its signal, or just stopped working.
It has not been back to the dealer and is the the R13 s/w standard.

But apart from that, the reliability has been rock solid.
And the car is an absolute pleasure to drive. Smooth and quiet and very responsive.
I typically get between 4.5 and 4.7 miles/kWh, albeit during the summer and autumn.

So I was wondering.
Have I just been lucky. Or is my experience fairy typical.

I have owned my MG4 SE SR Camden Grey for about 9 months now and judging by some of the posts here, I consider myself fortunate to have one of the few owners who have had no real problems to speak of.
There has been just 2 minor issues.
2 uncommanded emergency brake instances which can be quite unnerving.
2 instances where the radio either temporarily lost its signal, or just stopped working.
It has not been back to the dealer and is the the R13 s/w standard.

But apart from that, the reliability has been rock solid.
And the car is an absolute pleasure to drive. Smooth and quiet and very responsive.
I typically get between 4.5 and 4.7 miles/kWh, albeit during the summer and autumn.

So I was wondering.
Have I just been lucky. Or is my experience fairy typical.
I have had Camden Grey Trophy since beginning of June and had no real problems other than the radio doesn’t always show anything on DAB but that’s usually corrected by a quick press on to FM and back to DAB at start up. But I do admit to disabling KLA and EB to alert. But otherwise generally that’s all the problems I have had.

I think you have been lucky AND taken the jam out of everyone else's doughnut!!!
🤣
No seriously, I do not doubt for one minute that there are folk who are having issues with their car.
But that will cover all folk and all cars. (IMHO)
The issues are real as I can attest to some of them, but I think overall it is a good package and I am sure there are many 100's (1000's)? of happy owners who haven't been near this forum.
If I didn't have the vibe/hum I would have zero issues with my car, bearing in mind I do turn off LKA to make sure I'm not hassled.

I'd say, fairy typical
I thought he was going to say fairy tale tbh!

Did a bit of digging and:

"According to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT), 3,000 MG4 cars were sold in the UK in 2022. In the first half of 2023, 5,200 MG4 cars have been sold in the UK.

Therefore, the total number of MG4 cars sold in the UK in 2022 and 2023 is 8,200.

The MG4 EV has been a popular choice for UK buyers, thanks to its affordable price, stylish design, and long range. It has also been praised for its good handling and performance.

The MG4 EV is the UK's second-best selling electric car so far in 2023, behind only the Tesla Model 3."

As we all know, forums and groups are for moaning not for being a salesman... ;-)

I thought he was going to say fairy tale tbh!
A fairy tale is fiction.
What I have posted is completely factual.....

Did a bit of digging and:

"According to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT), 3,000 MG4 cars were sold in the UK in 2022. In the first half of 2023, 5,200 MG4 cars have been sold in the UK.

Therefore, the total number of MG4 cars sold in the UK in 2022 and 2023 is 8,200.

The MG4 EV has been a popular choice for UK buyers, thanks to its affordable price, stylish design, and long range. It has also been praised for its good handling and performance.

The MG4 EV is the UK's second-best selling electric car so far in 2023, behind only the Tesla Model 3."

As we all know, forums and groups are for moaning not for being a salesman... ;-)
That is very interesting. Thank you for the sales numbers because I had been wondering as I have seen quite a few VW ID3 as well as Tesla.

A few niggles that are sorted. Still so enjoy driving the car, great fun on windy roads and looks fab in red (gen2)

From day 1-

Oil leak.
Chirpy air con.
Bonkers LKA.
Bonkers auto lights.

Now at 11k miles and I have an extremely annoying clicking noise emanating from the drivers side front wheel bearing and an equally annoying rattle from the rear hatch at low speed.
Due it's first service in Dec but very dubious as to how much will actually be sorted.

Despite all that, it's such a pleasure to pedal so I certainly don't regret buying ;)

Still very much in the honeymoon period, absolutely love it. I'm on R40 by the looks of it, lucky enough that my LKA seems pretty well-behaved, not getting anywhere near 4+ miles/kWh (lucky to see 3+) but that's entirely down to the way I drive it and I like air-con.

The one thing that is getting annoying is the flashing road-sign recognition, I don't understand why that defaults on every time the car starts as surely it's not an NCAP safety feature like LKA? Otherwise a very happy camper.

All good here after 7 months and 7000 miles. Nothing to complain about.

A couple of AEB false activations at low speed been the only issue. Usually switch off LKA because it is annoying rather than savage. Ditto the auto lights and traffic sign recognition. But these are minor gripes, actually less than the issues I have had on previous new cars.

The one thing that is getting annoying is the flashing road-sign recognition

Utterly useless and annoying, often it's still in a tizzy about being in a 20 or 30 zone when you've been on a 60 for 2 miles :rolleyes: I cut a circle from black electrical tape and slapped that over it ;)

From day 1-

Oil leak.
Chirpy air con.
Bonkers LKA.
Bonkers auto lights.

Now at 11k miles and I have an extremely annoying clicking noise emanating from the drivers side front wheel bearing and an equally annoying rattle from the rear hatch at low speed.
Due it's first service in Dec but very dubious as to how much will actually be sorted.

Despite all that, it's such a pleasure to pedal so I certainly don't regret buying ;)
Which dealer are you using for service?

Bought from Dicksons Inverness, no idea what they're like for servicing but to be fair they were fine to deal with re the purchase .
I bought from Dickson's too. I've used them on and off for years and they were very good, IMHO. Started having doubts though since buying the MG4, mainly because when they fitted a replacement undertray, which was worse than the original, the service reception staff just said, when I asked about it, yes everything's fine or words to that effect. Went straight out, had a look and could hardly believe it! We'll see what happens with the next one.
Next year before first service.

From day 1-

Oil leak.
Chirpy air con.
Bonkers LKA.
Bonkers auto lights.

I had a rattle at low speed,or a creaking or at very low speeds when crossing road bumps. I cured this by adjusting the position of the trapezoid rubber blocks, onto which the boot closes. In my case there was not enough rubber compression to stop metal on metal contact of the clasp mechanism.

No real problems for me after 3000 miles and 4 months… it’s a Camden grey also, so maybe they made more effort with those as it’s the best colour 😂
I also have Camden grey Trophy and done 3500 miles. I haven't had any major problems and find it a great car to drive . I do have a minor annoying fault that when I get the startup greeting it tells me its 2019 but I don't know if the fault is with car or Android auto.

I also have Camden grey Trophy and done 3500 miles. I haven't had any major problems and find it a great car to drive . I do have a minor annoying fault that when I get the startup greeting it tells me its 2019 but I don't know if the fault is with car or Android auto.
I get the wrong date on occasions too. I'm sure, in my case, that it's the car as it's the first thing it says once it's booted and before AA's connected.

You will get the 2019 date whenever there is insufficient 4G signal. It does it every time I am still in the garage.

I bought mine back in March, and I haven't experienced the undertray dip or the oil leakage reported by others. I do have a squeaky air-con but it's not particularly loud, and the most issues I've had have been software related.

Sometimes the radio will just come on and override whatever is being played (either Android Auto or over bluetooth), and cannot be paused or stopped until something else starts playing again. Also the LKA is just generally bad on country roads, but most of my driving is either city or motorway so I only have to switch it off occasionally.

Then there's charger woes which are a mixed bag, and possibly not the car's fault; I've had 0% success rate with Geniepoint, about 50% with Chargeplace Scotland, and 100% with Instavolt and ForEV.

All in all the positives vastly outweigh the negatives in my specific circumstances!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back