MG4 Owners - Reflections.

As a current ID.3 driver (58kwh, boggo grey paint) we've been lucky with the paint but in-car infotainment has been flaky, voice activation woeful and LKA nearly put us in the backseat of a few parked cars. Fob was replaced early on too- they're really flimsy.

OTA updates (once they had them sorted) fixed a lot of issues so am keeping fingers crossed that MG can get the software sorted in time for my Feb XPower delivery 😉

Why did we get one? We got it on lease because it was the cheapest way we could find at the time for electric driving with space for 3 kids (and got all inclusive maintenance for £11pcm extra).

Why move to MG? Renewal quote for lease was £25pcm more than what we are paying and insurance etc through the roof. Can't see why anyone is buying an ID.3 at the minute- money is bonkers. XPower is going to be approx £100pcm cheaper with everything added in (salary sacrifice though)

Long story short I would agree with your newfound friend- his dad bought the wrong car!
Very interesting thank you.

I love my blue trophy which we’ve had 6 months now. It’s really nice to drive however it does have a few annoying issues:
1) The settings reset every time it’s turned off. LKA is annoying at best, and at worst tries to steer me into concrete barriers in roadworks to avoid the line on the other side. It also sees lines where there aren’t any!
2) The heating - this varies widely. In my previous car I had climate control set at 21 for comfort. In the MG it can be freezing at 25 degrees and boiling at 26.
3) it never remembers my phone (although it does other family members)
4) the annoying camera that pops up when you are in town that says speed too high AVM close. I have no idea what it is for/how it is supposed to help - and prevents you from viewing the sat nav just when you need to (this gets sworn at often as we jab at the x to make it go away!)
On the positive side, it got us through a huge amount of quite deep flood water yesterday with no difficulties!

I think you have the camera visuals to switch on when you indicate at slow speed. This controllable via the info screen. The warning message is to say the speed is to high for the camera system and it will close. I believe this warning has been removed at V46. I have this feature on because the camera remains on when you straighten the steering wheel and gives a front view; good for parking.

I love my blue trophy which we’ve had 6 months now. It’s really nice to drive however it does have a few annoying issues:
1) The settings reset every time it’s turned off. LKA is annoying at best, and at worst tries to steer me into concrete barriers in roadworks to avoid the line on the other side. It also sees lines where there aren’t any!
2) The heating - this varies widely. In my previous car I had climate control set at 21 for comfort. In the MG it can be freezing at 25 degrees and boiling at 26.
3) it never remembers my phone (although it does other family members)
4) the annoying camera that pops up when you are in town that says speed too high AVM close. I have no idea what it is for/how it is supposed to help - and prevents you from viewing the sat nav just when you need to (this gets sworn at often as we jab at the x to make it go away!)
On the positive side, it got us through a huge amount of quite deep flood water yesterday with no difficulties!
I'd be interested to know what depth of flood water you safely got through, so if I'm ever facing a flooded road I can check whether I must back away or can proceed?

I'd be interested to know what depth of flood water you safely got through, so if I'm ever facing a flooded road I can check whether I must back away or can proceed?

In another thread there is video of an MG4 getting through nearly a metre of floodwater. The driver was absolutely negligent, he seemed not even to be aware of the water and just barrelled into it. The car actually floated for a few seconds in the middle, but the driver was really lucky and momentum carried him forward to a place where his wheels got traction again.

So we know that much can be got through. The car can't hydrolock like the ICE cars in the video were doing. But there's no way it was safe and he could easily have been swept away. I would not have believed that 1,800 kg of car would float like that but it did. It seemed as if the car was well enough sealed (for the 30 seconds it was in there) to acquire buoyancy and behave like a boat - but one with no rudder.

Someone in the comments said he'd seen Teslas do the same thing. The lighter ICE cars kept their wheels on the road though, as if they were just filling up from underneath and not achieving buoyancy. Then their engines stopped and that was that. The EV's motor kept going and got the car out of it.

Do not try that at home. I think MG said something about 400 mm when asked. I would think a foot or so would be OK, but really, is it worth the risk even if your motor doesn't stop? Oil breather, undertray, who knows what might happen.

In the other thread someone also just posted a video of a Leaf, certified to 700 mm, going through some quite deep water, with the driver taking the proper measured approach to the exercise. Scared the willies out of me.

Last edited:
I would also turn round first sign of a flood. My only nightmare would be if it’s on a dual carriageway with central reserve / barrier 😩

We had a member here who had an MG4 that was a lemon, and after much huffing and puffing he jumped ship to a Cupra Born. Much boasting about how much better it was, and even the hamper of goodies the dealer gave him when he bought it.

@ozzrahog, you are Bowfer's dark twin!

We had a member here who had an MG4 that was a lemon, and after much huffing and puffing he jumped ship to a Cupra Born. Much boasting about how much better it was, and even the hamper of goodies the dealer gave him when he bought it.

@ozzrahog, you are Bowfer's dark twin!
Eh? I have had a Cupra Formentor for 2 1/2 years I wouldn't wish it on my ex wife

Sounds dire! Bowfer went through cars the way most of us go through clean socks. He was really pleased with his Born, and spent so long dissing the MG4 to new owners he eventually got himself banned. But if you search for "Born" you might find some of it!

I think all EVs and indeed all new cars have their gripes, and the price of the MG4 is quite a cushion against niggles.

I have tamed mine by covering the camera, thus making it blind as a bat.
Everything is effectively switched off and it drives beautifully now. Adaptive regen then turned on is a dream. You coast up to roundabouts, get a bit of wheel spin, ooh it's lovely. She goes back in a few weeks for updates and if it still acts stupid I'll just tape over the camera till it goes back.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back