MG4 Range

This thread needs a reality check. Posting very short journeys with high efficiency is just not real world. Here’s my accumulated total for most of April. Mixed driving, local, A roads and motorway, normal use of heating and driving to speed limits. Some in horrendous weather, some in mild conditions. Still pretty good for April.

View attachment 17250
I see your point - but short journeys are very real world for me (London congested driving) where the fruits of EV are reaped.

I see your point - but short journeys are very real world for me (London congested driving) where the fruits of EV are reaped.
But post an accumulated month of figures for all your driving and add something about the type of driving and conditions and it would be more real world. You’d see a big difference between January, when lots of short journeys are very inefficient because of use of heating, and June.

But post an accumulated month of figures for all your driving and add something about the type of driving and conditions and it would be more real world. You’d see a big difference between January, when lots of short journeys are very inefficient because of use of heating, and June.
Noted- but I've only had the car two weeks lol.

I'll add a summary next time.

Yes, I am not impressed by anything under 100 miles, the more the better as it is too easy to get a high result over a short distance. I could drive to a local hill and achieve a huge number through some downhill driving but it means very little.
Yes, although even then you can get still get silly results. In my previous EV, I once did 125 miles at motorway speeds at 5.5 miles/kWh. It was France, high summer, and a leg of the journey from the very top of the Massif Central to near sea level. Height drop over 125 miles was 3,363ft 😂

Noted- but I've only had the car two weeks lol.

I'll add a summary next time.
Prepare yourself for winter 😂 You'll use a disproportionate amount of heating for the miles you do on a short journey. That efficiency will plummet.

If I drive the 5 miles to the local supermarket I will see easily 7 miles per kWh but that is a drop of 120 metres so when I come home for some reason I don't get such good figures...
If I drive to the local supermarket less than a mile away I will always get 2 doesn't matter how I drive or the temperature.

If I drive to the local supermarket less than a mile away I will always get 2 doesn't matter how I drive or the temperature.
Don't feel bad. I drive the dogs half-a-mile twice a day to the local park.

My excuse is that one of them suffers with corns on her feet (it's a greyhound thing) and finds it nearly impossible to walk on hard surfaces.

Seems my MG4 Trophy is loving the spring...

I picked up the car about a month ago and in the first few hundred miles of general driving, often with the heating on set to ~23c (didn't feel that hot :p) I was getting around 3.5-3.8m/kWh.

Last week or so I've either had the HVAC off entirely or set to ~19c which is definitely AC rather than heating and the efficiency is easily in the 4+ range and even hit 5+ twice, yesterday I visited a mate for lunch and across both trips I did 48 miles at 4.7m/kWh, with 5.4 m/kWh on the way back (think it was ~4.4 on the way there but didn't pay that much attention).

Currently sitting on 56% with an estimated 158 mile remaining :)

Not sure if Trophy owners have a different experience but I find that the GOM on my SE standard spouts nonsense till I get to around 30 % charge, where it seems to face reality and agrees with the actual miles / kWh I'm achieving to give an accurate prediction.

Having a 50 kWh battery and getting a reliable 4 miles + kWh when temps are 10 degrees or more means I can just figure on 2 miles / percent and be safe, odd that the GOM is incapable of doing likewise :unsure:

Not sure if Trophy owners have a different experience but I find that the GOM on my SE standard spouts nonsense till I get to around 30 % charge, where it seems to face reality and agrees with the actual miles / kWh I'm achieving to give an accurate prediction.

Having a 50 kWh battery and getting a reliable 4 miles + kWh when temps are 10 degrees or more means I can just figure on 2 miles / percent and be safe, odd that the GOM is incapable of doing likewise :unsure:
My Trophy is sat on the drive right now showing 60% and 145 miles. I reset the accumulated trip meter at the start of May. It's showing an average of 3.8 miles/kWh (from 250 miles). I'd say that GOM is reflecting my recent driving pretty accurately.

Mine is pretty accurate most of the time. When it isn't it is usually because my right foot gets too happy!

We have two drivers with different styles, given the variables I think it is good enough. I'd say a bit overoptimistic but consistently so, so easy to allow for.

I do wonder if it is partly the car getting up to temperature? I notice at the beginning of any journey it gobbles more %age than later and I have presumed this is the car warming up (not talking about cabin heating, we don't need the heating on here now) and getting everything up to temp.

Mine is pretty accurate most of the time. When it isn't it is usually because my right foot gets too happy!

We have two drivers with different styles, given the variables I think it is good enough. I'd say a bit overoptimistic but consistently so, so easy to allow for.

I do wonder if it is partly the car getting up to temperature? I notice at the beginning of any journey it gobbles more %age than later and I have presumed this is the car warming up (not talking about cabin heating, we don't need the heating on here now) and getting everything up to temp.
Yes similar. My last trip when I noticed really good range started just after the car finished charging (to 100%), I'm assuming the battery was a bit warm from that.

My Trophy is sat on the drive right now showing 60% and 145 miles. I reset the accumulated trip meter at the start of May. It's showing an average of 3.8 miles/kWh (from 250 miles). I'd say that GOM is reflecting my recent driving pretty accurately.
My one is sitting at 73 % and 166 miles predicted, so around 20 miles optimistic if I were to run it flat . It seems to be expecting 4.5 m kWh or so, have not hit those dizzying heights as yet.

Yes similar. My last trip when I noticed really good range started just after the car finished charging (to 100%), I'm assuming the battery was a bit warm from that.

Yup, as an electrochemical device it is very dependent on temp. When I leave my village, the first miles kWh reading after half mile is usually 3 . something even at 30 mph.
A few days ago following a mild night and a 18 degree noon, I saw 4.2 pop up at the half mile point, batteries do like a little sunshine.

It would be interesting to know how the car works out the GOM. Obviously, it's based on your recent driving, but what's it using to do that. Does it have a set internal memory? Or is it reflecting what the trip meters are saying? Would it change if you reset your trip meters?

Same here. Even with HVAC and "intelligent battery heating" turned off there is a consumption peak. Maybe it has to do some battery heating regardless of the settings.

Same here. Even with HVAC and "intelligent battery heating" turned off there is a consumption peak. Maybe it has to do some battery heating regardless of the settings.

There will be no active heating taking place, just the natural heating from the cells internal resistance.
You should hear the battery coolant pump running if the battery heater has energised .

It would be interesting to know how the car works out the GOM. Obviously, it's based on your recent driving, but what's it using to do that. Does it have a set internal memory? Or is it reflecting what the trip meters are saying? Would it change if you reset your trip meters?
Yes it is tied to the accumulated total trip.
Mine reset itself a month ago and my range shot up. I find it quite accurate.
It was pessimistic before the reset as it was based off the accumulated mileage done in winter and when I was enjoying myself a little more in it ;)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 471 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.7%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back