MG4 Rapid Charging

munkiev

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Well we have just returned from another long round trip from Cornwall to London and back. Fast charging is really impressive on the new Gridserve chargers what speeds are people seeing ? We have been getting over 130kwph on the app 🙂 barely giving us enough time to get a loo stop and a quick snack in. Super impressed tbh
C3B7319C-ED0B-464C-B26B-64787C9EDA42.png
FEF4A50F-6B88-452F-8BB2-83D1AD96E945.png

Looks like the MG4 loves Rapid chargers.
What percentage does the charge rate start to drop off at!

Well we have just returned from another long round trip from Cornwall to London and back. Fast charging is really impressive on the new Gridserve chargers what speeds are people seeing ? We have been getting over 130kwph on the app 🙂 barely giving us enough time to get a loo stop and a quick snack in. Super impressed tbh View attachment 16374View attachment 16375
Was that on the new Solstice Park Gridserve changer bank on the A303 by any chance? We're planning a stop there in the near future.

I must admit- i ve never seen anything above 75KW (for charging power) on our MG4 (and we have done every charger, Fastned, MFG, Ionity, Porsche/Shell, Insavolt, ospray ) - well done on this! (munkiev - is this for an MG4? -not as your profile?)

Last edited:
I must admit- i ve never seen anything above 75KW (for charging power) on our MG4 (and we have done every charger, Fastned, MFG, Ionity, Porsche/Shell, Insavolt, ospray ) - well done on this! (munkiev - is this for an MG4? -not as your profile?)
Do you have the 51kWh SR? I think it's only the 64kWh cars that will do 140kW

The SR (51kWh) should still do "up to" 117kW charge rate though ... but I don't think anyone has achieved anywhere near that yet.
Yes, there was a previous thread on how this seemed to be limited to 87kW or so max:

Dont forget that the DC charger may not provide full power if those around it are also in use. They “talk to each other” and load limit so the feed supply rating isnt exceeded
Yes, that's true but there were a lot of people complaining a while back, I don't know if MG have a software limit on the SR or if they have raised it since.

I wondered if this was part of the CCU update - or whether that's more related to charging the 12V battery. 🤷‍♂️

Yes MG4 Trophy

Both there and at Exeter on the return leg
Well, we tried Gridserve Solstice Park this weekend and it was a crapshoot.

6 out of 8 chargers were not working (but didn't say out of order), so we tried a couple and then a guy who was charging said he'd phoned Gridserve as he was only getting 30kW and they said the chargers were showing as not working properly, so he'd reboot in next 30 minutes and/or send an engineer out in next 2 hours.

The Gridserve software seems flaky, really annoying to have chargers showing as working online and on their screens but actually not.

We faffed around trying a few of them then headed to Tesla Wokingham instead (50 miles away) as we knew that would "just work". Not impressed if this is the state of the art from Gridserve.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel